I just got a Torch from a friend who's on Vodafone and before I got it, Vodafone unlocked it. I now use it on O2 and it all works fine but as it's running .246, which seems quite old, I was wondering if I should update it and if I should, should I update it with the Voda flavour or the O2 flavour of the OS? Do I even have a choice?

If I update the software, will the phone be locked again?
    12-03-10 11:57 AM
    No it won't lock the phone, it will be fine.

I'm using an unlocked 9800 on orange and am currently using the .337 OS.

Defo best one out IMO

So...Just update, it will be fine.
    12-03-10 12:01 PM
    thx but where should I get the update from, Vodafone or O2 or can I use an unbranded update?
    12-03-10 12:04 PM
    Just connect it to desktop manager and then update the os from there. Which ever version it gives u then use.

Hope that works.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

12-03-10 06:42 PM
    Damn!
    Just tried that and it says that I already have the latest version (.246) on my phone!
    12-04-10 12:44 AM
    There is a sticky at the top of this forum with download links and updating instructions. The OS builds that RIM releases are not carrier specific. Each release is branded to show what carrier it was made for, but it can be applied to any Torch. I have done this myself.

Rogers in Canada has not updated their customers to the .337 build mentioned above, and yet I am running that build on my phone. Each carrier has their own internal testing groups that check over a build before it is offered to all of that carrier's customers. Rogers is still on one of the .2xx builds, but my phone works perfectly fine.

12-04-10 01:31 AM
    Yep same for orange too, 246, but looks like you can just whack an upgrade on.

12-04-10 02:45 AM
    Just make sure you remove the vendor.xml file then you can apply the update, I've loaded it onto all the Voda devices that we have and it really does transform the device.

It was good on the one before, but a few niggles such as pinch and zoom and the touch keyboard appearing slightly misaligned all got fixed.

Now, if RIM sort out the Craplication store they'll have it sorted.
    12-04-10 09:40 AM
    thanks guys, update done & all is well..
    12-04-10 12:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD