Hi,
    I've had a BB 8820 for over 3 years and am debating buying a Torch. I really like the idea of a good size touchscreen & a real keyboard, but one that only "takes up space" when actually needed. BUT, and a big BUT is: Can a Torch access and watch Netflix streaming video movies like an I-Phone 3GS or I-Phone4 ? If it can, GREAT! If not, is this feature "in the works," or? Also, how does the BB App Store compare with the I-Phone App Store? Is it growing fast? I use my BB most for phone calls & e-mail, but have come to really want to be able to watch YouTube, Netflix, etc while waiting for car repairs, airlines, and stuff like that. Time marches on, and I want more than my old BB can do in a new cell.
    Thank you,
    01-07-11 08:14 PM
    Not available currently. No news on that coming either (it's not even slated for a specific date this year for android, so don't hold your breath).

Youtube has been available for a long time though.
    01-07-11 08:20 PM
    Its a dream come true if they release a netflix app for BB, android owners are still waiting to for that app. I hope not a long wait for us.
    01-07-11 08:22 PM
    If Netflix was available to stream over BB, I would go back to my Torch in a heartbeat. I got an iPhone4 just so I could stream Netflix. Had it for a few days now and I already miss my Torch. buttons are great. I hardly text/e-mail on this phone. Probably going to go back to Torch at the end of the month. LOL.
    01-07-11 08:50 PM
    Netflix on BB would be a real good look!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-07-11 08:59 PM
    Not available currently. No news on that coming either (it's not even slated for a specific date this year for android, so don't hold your breath).

Youtube has been available for a long time though.
    Thank you !! Thank you !! I suspected YouTube wud work via the web browser, which I imagine is much better than mine, but I was clueless about Netflix. Oh well, at least the "Convert 5 Bars into Signal Power in dBM" works on the Torch using the ALT+NMLL key sequence that I mentioned in the 8820 forum years ago. THAT is a kewl feature. I doubt the I-Phone can do that.
    01-08-11 07:43 AM
    On the iPhone you need to go into the dial pad and press, if I remember correctly, *3001#12345#* and if you want the dBM display to stay when you exit the app, you have to hold the power button and wait until slide to power off shows, then hold the home button until the app quits. The only way to change it back to bars is to go into settings and "reset all settings".

Or you could jailbreak, I suppose .

01-08-11 08:49 AM
    On the iPhone you need to go into the dial pad and press, if I remember correctly, *3001#12345#* and if you want the dBM display to stay when you exit the app, you have to hold the power button and wait until slide to power off shows, then hold the home button until the app quits. The only way to change it back to bars is to go into settings and "reset all settings".

Or you could jailbreak, I suppose .

WOW --- Totally AWESUm David !!!!!!!!!!! Many thank yous & huggs.
    01-08-11 10:13 AM
    Thank you !! Thank you !! I suspected YouTube wud work via the web browser, which I imagine is much better than mine, but I was clueless about Netflix.
    Just keep in mind that high qaulity is on only when connected to wifi. On 3G its medium quality but not that bad IMO. I say medium because its in between high and low and the best way to describe it is medium quality.

01-08-11 10:56 AM
    I tried to view Netflix movies on my Torch and kept getting an error telling me I was out of the United States and therefore unable to view. (Weird since I was in Maryland)...So I guess not only is there no App, there's also no bypass at the moment.
    01-11-11 01:36 PM
    That's because the BIS servers are located in canada.
    01-11-11 01:38 PM
    Thank you !! Thank you !! I suspected YouTube wud work via the web browser, which I imagine is much better than mine, but I was clueless about Netflix. Oh well, at least the "Convert 5 Bars into Signal Power in dBM" works on the Torch using the ALT+NMLL key sequence that I mentioned in the 8820 forum years ago. THAT is a kewl feature. I doubt the I-Phone can do that.
    Could someone plz explain what this means or does? I have no clue.

Sorry if its a dumb question.
    01-11-11 01:40 PM
    Signal displays as a dbm number instead of bars, that's all.
    01-11-11 02:07 PM
    Could someone plz explain what this means or does? I have no clue.

Sorry if its a dumb question.
    It is not a dumb question at all Cheez-Its. As you know, the "bars" are a measure of signal strength, right? It is a simple way used by all cell phones and usually is fine. Wat I use is "dBM" which is geek speak for "decibels referenced to one milliwatt of signal power." It is HIGHLY sensitive, and, under certain situations, can even be "life saving." Using "dBM" in yer display gives you a negative number, as yer signal will ALWAYS be LESS than one milliwatt, ok? The lowest signal level you may see is roughly -110 dBM, which is probably 1 bar, a signal of -107 dBM is twice as strong, and -104 dBM twice agn. Signal power doubles every 3 dB. The strongest signal yer likely to see is roughly -40 dBM, or 5 bars, if yer standing next to a cell tower. The "5 Bars" roughly cover the signal range from about -110 to -40 dBM or 70 dB. By this you can see how "coarse" the bars are. One "Bar" equals roughly 14 dB! Assume yer in a weak signal area, and have had an accident, and you can't call 911. How valuable wud it be to know how to hold yer phone, or wat spot to go to, to increase the signal? This COULD save a life. This is why I use signal power in dBM instead of "Bars." )
    01-11-11 02:48 PM
    It is not a dumb question at all Cheez-Its. As you know, the "bars" are a measure of signal strength, right? It is a simple way used by all cell phones and usually is fine. Wat I use is "dBM" which is geek speak for "decibels referenced to one milliwatt of signal power." It is HIGHLY sensitive, and, under certain situations, can even be "life saving." Using "dBM" in yer display gives you a negative number, as yer signal will ALWAYS be LESS than one milliwatt, ok? The lowest signal level you may see is roughly -110 dBM, which is probably 1 bar, a signal of -107 dBM is twice as strong, and -104 dBM twice agn. Signal power doubles every 3 dB. The strongest signal yer likely to see is roughly -40 dBM, or 5 bars, if yer standing next to a cell tower. The "5 Bars" roughly cover the signal range from about -110 to -40 dBM or 70 dB. By this you can see how "coarse" the bars are. One "Bar" equals roughly 14 dB! Assume yer in a weak signal area, and have had an accident, and you can't call 911. How valuable wud it be to know how to hold yer phone, or wat spot to go to, to increase the signal? This COULD save a life. This is why I use signal power in dBM instead of "Bars." )
    Wow. Thanks for the detailed explanation. Makes perfect sense after u explain it. So my next question is pressing the alt+number lock activates this option? And serious, thanks for making that make sense! LOL
    01-11-11 03:08 PM
    Yeah I was able to stream CBS.com content on 3G and i'm located in Canada. I guess RIM has its pluses.

01-12-11 12:08 AM
    Wow. Thanks for the detailed explanation. Makes perfect sense after u explain it. So my next question is pressing the alt+number lock activates this option? And serious, thanks for making that make sense! LOL
    You are VERY welcome! If I were to ask a question on brain surgery, or something equally esoteric, I'm sure you'd respond in the same way. )

Hold down the ALT key with with one hand and press the key sequence NMLL with the other and then remove both hands. Your bars should vanish and be replaced with the signal power in the form of 2 digits preceded by a minus sign. There are two caveats. First, only 2 digits will display; if you're in a "one-bar" area, and the signal level is, say -105 dBM, you'll likely see -10, and not -105. In this very low signal area small movement may have a large effect. If you raise your hand the signal could jump up 3 dB; if you turn your wrist, turn, or go several steps, you may go from not being able to call 911 to making such an emergency call. This is a VERY good reason WHY to learn what "dBM" is. However, if you never venture into low signal areas, i.e., you don't go hiking, boating, or whatever, then the 5 bar display may be perfectly fine. The 2nd caveat is the color of your screen background. You need to choose a display that allows the numbers to be seen clearly. There is no way to change the color of the numbers. If you want to change BACK, and find you can't, removing the battery for a few seconds will revert the display to 5 bars.

I mentioned in the first post that one bar equals roughly 14 dB in signal strength. Since signal power doubles every 3 dB, a 14 dB change is roughly a power level change of 2 raised to the 4th power, or about 16 times! This demonstrates how "coarse" the bar display is, and how truly sensitive the dBM display is in comparison.

I hope you never need to "use" this info, but, in an emergency, it is possible it could save a life.
    Cheez-Its likes this.
    01-12-11 07:59 AM
    That's rather annoying considering the fact that there are more Blackberrys in America than Canada. I hope that doesn't screw up other things.

Anyone know about ESPN3.com? Would be nice to watch games on my BB as well.
    01-12-11 08:42 AM
    Here is a bit more info for you Cheez-Its on the number of bars vs. signal strength:

1 bar ~ -102 to -120 dBM
    2 Bars ~ -93 to -101 dBM
    3 Bars ~ -87 to -92 dBM
    4 Bars ~ -78 to -86 dBM
    5 Bars ~ -40 to -77 dBM

This is a rough approximation, and NOT an actual measurement. The sensitivity of different BB receivers varies.
    Cheez-Its, Cozmik, AcADIeN and 1 others like this.
    01-12-11 10:19 AM
    Thanks for all the dbm info. Very helpful. As an fyi, on the Torch it shows 3 digits. I'm in a not so good area right now with a reading of -100 on EDGE.
    01-12-11 12:37 PM
    Thanks for all the dbm info. Very helpful. As an fyi, on the Torch it shows 3 digits. I'm in a not so good area right now with a reading of -100 on EDGE.
    WOWIE ZOWIE !!! You get THREE digits AND the minus sign on a Torch !! Geez, that is GREAT. My BB 8820 will only show 2. ( Gess I better buy a Torch, huh?

TY fer yer input Cozmik guy!!
    01-12-11 12:42 PM
    I love this site. Thanks Linda Anne. I have a file folder with all the cool tips that I get on this site. Just copied your very informative information to have forever.
    01-12-11 12:48 PM
    hey linda anne, thanks a lot for that shortcut!

here is a picture of edge with -111 digit on torch

edit :lol wrong image, here it is
    01-12-11 12:52 PM
    hey linda anne, thanks a lot for that shortcut!

here is a picture of edge with -111 digit on torch

edit :lol wrong image, here it is
    WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!! I see it. You have one GOOD receiver if you can use yer phone at THAT low level. Just wish it was brighter. ( Oh well, it is good to want things, huh? Oh, BTW, in a 50 ohm system, your -111 dBM signal equals a signal level of 0.63 micro-volts, or .63 millionths of a volt. That is very close to the minimum sensitivity of large & expensive two-way radios, most of which will work fine at a 0.3 micro-volt level.
    01-12-11 01:09 PM
    That's rather annoying considering the fact that there are more Blackberrys in America than Canada. I hope that doesn't screw up other things.

Anyone know about ESPN3.com? Would be nice to watch games on my BB as well.
    Nope that's not true. We have the exact same models as you guys do on different carriers like Rogers & Fido (like AT&T) Telus & Bell (like Verizon and AT&T)...ect. You wouldve been right if you said the States get the BBs before Canada.

Btw, you won't be able to watch ESPN3 on mobile phones anyways so wouldn't matter right now.

01-12-11 01:10 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD