I still having a very TOUGH TIME choosing between these two phones, I'm using BB 9000, I love my phone so much but is 2 years old and the battery start having problem, dropping the power so fast sometimes, instead of buying a new BB battery, I'm thinking why not buying myself a new phone , my headache start after that dicision, two good phone i need to pick one.
    I'm trying to do a lot of research before I make my pick and I found this site, people in this forums so helpful, hopefully you guys can help me make the pick, thanks.
    12-19-10 11:25 AM
    I dislike when people make threads like this. Nothing wrong with asking questions, but you've given us nothing to work with.

If you wanted our help on picking one of two girls, you wouldn't say, I liked my last gf but she moved so who should I pick now?

You need to say things like, I enjoy the keyboard, I dislike touch screens, I want the phone to be faster yada yada yada

Here is the breakdown, these phones are pretty much the same thing. The only main difference really is; obviously one has a touch but, the phone isn't best used as a touch device. Its best used with keyboard, however, the 9780 has a smaller keyboard than the original bold, and the Torch's keyboard is even slightly smaller.

It is nice to have a larger screen, but at the same time, if you don't enjoy using the touch screen, you will have to constantly slide it open. Just another thing to keep in mind, and I think the Torch's speaker phone is not as loud as the Bold
    12-19-10 11:55 AM
    It is a form factor question. I would compose an email with both in the store and see if Torch's larger screen and slider "feel" better, or the 9780 keyboard.

On this forum you will hear from those who choose a Torch. I love mine, but sometimes miss the 9000 keyboard (which is slighly larger than both the Torch and the 9780 also - I think).
    12-19-10 11:55 AM
    I dislike when people make threads like this. Nothing wrong with asking questions, but you've given us nothing to work with.

If you wanted our help on picking one of two girls, you wouldn't say, I liked my last gf but she moved so who should I pick now?

You need to say things like, I enjoy the keyboard, I dislike touch screens, I want the phone to be faster yada yada yada

Here is the breakdown, these phones are pretty much the same thing. The only main difference really is; obviously one has a touch but, the phone isn't best used as a touch device. Its best used with keyboard, however, the 9780 has a smaller keyboard than the original bold, and the Torch's keyboard is even slightly smaller.

It is nice to have a larger screen, but at the same time, if you don't enjoy using the touch screen, you will have to constantly slide it open. Just another thing to keep in mind, and I think the Torch's speaker phone is not as loud as the Bold
    12-19-10 11:58 AM
    Ive had both, both are great devices. I REALLY like the option on the 9800 to use the virtual keyboard or physical. I also enjoy the ease of operation and the general UI of the 9800. Also, keep in mind if you go app crazy, the 9800 has double the app memory than the 9700, but the same as the 9780. My vote-9800.
    Last edited by pilsbury; 12-19-10 at 03:04 PM.
    12-19-10 12:06 PM
    9780 has a much better battery and a real physical keyboard that is the best to type on.

If you are coming from the 9000 and are used to those nice huge keys, you will definately not like the flat physical keyboard of the Torch, and since you have a problem with the battery already on your 9000, getting the Torch will just be asking for more trouble, it has a larger scree, touch screen, and a lower capacity battery.

1150 mAH for the Torch vs. 1450 mAH for the 9780

Not to mention, you will have to slide the keypad out on the torch everytime you want to type and the phone is enormous with the keypad open, it really doesn't make sense unless you don't care about the batter, want a bigger screen, and are going to be satisefied with the virtual keyboard (which is crap).

Just my 2 cents
    12-19-10 12:10 PM
    I am so happy I bought this 9780! The keyboard is the best out there! I thought it was gonna be the same like my 9700 keyboard but although it looks similar, the keys are actually softer which makes typing on it even easier, anyone notice that?

Then comes OS 6, I had OS 6 on the 9700 and while it had a few glitches here and there, all of them were already fixed in the 9780, well I am not comparing them offcourse as it is not fair since the 9780's OS is official and the 9700 is only a leak but just stating that it had no bugs, (the 9700 is always gonna be my 2nd fav. phone)

Then comes the awesome camera with autofocus that is almost instantenous, there is no pause for a sec or two like there was with the 9700 it snaps pics instantly and they are veyr sharp!

Battery, on par with the 9700, couldn't imagine they could improve it any better as it was giving me 1.5 days usage with heavy usage or 2 days with moderate usage, that remained the same with the 9780.

9700 + 9780 batteres are the best in any BB IMHO.

Build quality, very sturdy, no squeaks aywhere, perfectly built BB with a study trackpad. I have noticed the latest devices like the Curve 3G and the Torch have weirdly placed trackpads, some are placed too deep so you can't reall feel em properly and some are raisd or bulged out so you can't really have any smooth motion as your finger tends to **** in the middle of the motion, this 9780 however had a perfectly aligned and placed trackpad.

Screen = very very crisp, although smaller than the Torch or 9000, the clarity remains specatular! I love it, I don't hink I need bigger, or smaller for that matter, the phones size and screen are perfect once you get accustomed to it. Plus, bear in mind, bigger screen will affect your battery negatively!

Honestly speaking, I still do think that the BOLD 9700 looks better due to the shiny chrome, maybe it's just me, but from a far distance, my 9780 looks like a Curve 8520
    sherifbmw likes this.
    12-19-10 12:14 PM
    Having owned both, I would suggest you give each a serious 'test drive' to see which features and form ffactors you like or dislike. For me, the size and touch screen of the 9800 was really great, but I had a lot of trouble typing on the virtual keyboard, I constantly fat fingered keys and could not type with any degree of speed and/or accuracy. The physical keyboard on the Torch is flat and I found that too made it difficult to type on. I loved the larger screen and pinch to zoom of the Torch. The 9780 is basically the 9700 with more horsepower. I had used a 9700 for years and felt very comfortable typing on it.

Ultimately all the opinions in the world are well...just our opinions. Its what you like, what works best for you and meets your needs and wants in a BB. Best of luck in your search.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    jcp007 likes this.
    12-19-10 12:24 PM
    I agree. I like the chrome on the 9700. But the retro/luxury look of the 9000 is still better than all of them in my opinion.
    Last edited by fass; 12-19-10 at 12:47 PM.
    12-19-10 12:33 PM
    If you'll be playing games or watching movies, get the torch. Otherwise, get the 9780.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-19-10 12:42 PM
    To the OP, the decision is ultimately your own. You need to supplement your research beyond our feedback. Both devices are great but you need to walk into a store and try each for yourself. Regardless which device you choose, before you walk out of the store, test the hardware and functionality of both so that you are walking out with a solid device. Come up with a checklist of things to test before you go in. Good luck.
    12-19-10 04:39 PM
    I used the torch and moved to the 9780, my experience for both as follows:

Torch:
    Big screen, crap resolution (you need to see emails with photo attachments), yet not huge screen, i have iphone 4 beside it, when i look to the torch after iphone I feel hitting the torch to the wall.

both torch keyboards (virtual and physical) are not up to the BB keyboards level, virtual is literally with no use specially if you have fat fingers, physical one is not as any other BB, it just smaller and having limited space.

battery:
    Torch battery (on the .337) was extremely far from my expectation, it never completes working day on 3G, and i bought a 3G phone to use it not to use the 2G, small example, i had training from 9 to 5, i was having both the torch and the iphone, both having push active, both of 3G, didn't text or make a call from both, at 5 the torch battery was 65% and iphone was 85%.

usage:
    I was always confused to use which, touch screen or keyboard, for me i didn't feel comfortable with this. you will turn to be light texting user after owning the torch.

Bold 9780: the opposite of all the above, really solid, i felt home when i used it (previous phones were 9000 and 9700), screen resolution is very crisp as it is smaller, battery is more than great (no need to have multiple chargers with you everywhere), keyboard feel is even better than 9700.

sorry for the long thread but this was my experience.
    12-19-10 05:39 PM
    To the OP, the decision is ultimately your own. You need to supplement your research beyond our feedback. Both devices are great but you need to walk into a store and try each for yourself. Regardless which device you choose, before you walk out of the store, test the hardware and functionality of both so that you are walking out with a solid device. Come up with a checklist of things to test before you go in. Good luck.
    WRONG!

You definately cannot take trying a phone at the store as a decision.

When I tried the Torch at the store I fell in love with it! When I took it home, I was playing with it 24/7 (and constantly have to recharge it due to the crappy battery :rolleyes)

After using it for a WEEK, only did I come to realize that I am never getting used to the crappy virtual or physical keyboard which is too flat and cramped!

Thank god I was able to return it and get a spanking new shiny 9780 FTW
    12-19-10 08:57 PM
    It is all based on your personal preferance. For someone who works for AT&T I have gotten to try both the Torch and 9780.

The 9780 is a lot like the 9700 other then the fact it now has a 5 MP Camera and has OS6 running on it. The phone is a quick and snappy little phone feels wonderful in the hand and is easy to access the keyboard.

The 9800 is going to be for you if you like the touch screen side of things but still need the physical keyboard. The device is good but is lacking on the side of virtual keyboard. With OS6 it is a good phone. This is the phone I am using because I like the style of it sliding on there. Also I like the touch screen. So the Torch for me has everything I could want on it.

It is all based on opinion I would suggest like most other people going and testing both out. Another thing I would like to say is that ATT has the Torch and you are more then able to try it out for the first 30 days. If in that time you decide you hate the phone then you can always return it and it will reverse your upgrade so you are still eligable or able to cancel the contract. If you have any other questions feel free to message me or email me at jordanthephoneguy@gmail.com
    12-19-10 10:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD