I have a BB Torch 9810 with a 32GB microSD card installed. The BB recognizes the 32Gb card so there's no issue there. The problem I'm running into is the 4GB maximum limitation using FAT32 filesystem. Yes, I can convert/format the card as NTFS and have done so, however the BB doesn't seem to support NTFS. I keep getting a message saying that it recognizes the SD card but the card isn't formatted, and if I'd like to format the card at that point.
    I also have the BB Playbook 32GB device. Since there's only 32GB internal storage on the Playbook with no SD card slot to add additional storage space (unlike other tablets such as Toshiba's who has an SD and USB expansion port to allow for additional storage space). Since the Playbook can access the Torch's SD card via bluetooth, I want to load up as many video's on the internal Playbook storage and the Torch's 32GB SD card. The only problem is, once again, that most HD video files these days are larger than the 4GB FAT32 limitation so I'm stuck with all this storage space ready to be used, but am unable to take advantage of it as far as video files are concerned.

Does anyone have a suggestion to this issue I find myself facing? I'm trying very hard to stay loyal to BlackBerry, even after having multiple issues with my first BB, the Bold 9000, but problems like this really test my loyalty and leaves me to consider dumping all my BB devices and switching to Android or Apple or even a phone and tablet running the Microsoft mobile edition. Yes, I'm even considering Microsoft at this point!!!
    05-28-12 05:14 AM
    Sounds like you have an isolated issue. You should format the SD card with the phone itself. I believe this is FAT32. Why are you trying to put >4GB files on a mobile phone? If it's just for storage...get a flash drive. If it's a video file...use a converter app to resize/convert it to better suit the phone's screen.
    05-28-12 06:45 AM
    I may be missing the option, but I don't believe you can open videos from your handset on the playbook.
    05-28-12 06:51 AM
    I may be missing the option, but I don't believe you can open videos from your handset on the playbook.
    You hit the nail on the head there. Besides 720p is plenty of resolution for the PB and most 720p movies are under 4gb.
    05-28-12 06:59 AM
    Sounds like you have an isolated issue. You should format the SD card with the phone itself. I believe this is FAT32. Why are you trying to put >4GB files on a mobile phone? If it's just for storage...get a flash drive. If it's a video file...use a converter app to resize/convert it to better suit the phone's screen.
    Actually, the first thing I did was to format the SD card with the phone, and yes you are correct the filesystem is FAT32. I then reformatted it on my laptop as NTFS and again the Playbook said it could see the SD card but considers it unformatted.

To answer your question re: putting videos on my phone, I want to do this because I can access the media card on my BB Torch from my Playbook with BlackBerry Bridge running. If you go into File Manager in the Playbook, a screen pops up and allows me to choose the internal storage on the PB or the BlackBerry smartphone, either it's internal storage or the media card.

Now I hope you can see why I want to do this since the Playbook's internal storage is capped at 16,32 or 64GB, depending on which model one has. With the BB phones, at least one has the ability to add additional storage via the miniSD card slot and access those files in the PB.
    05-30-12 03:44 AM
    Yes you can access the BB smartphone's internal storage or the SD card (if one is inserted) or both for that matter. You can accomplish this via Bluetooth and the BlackBerry Bridge app. If you think that you're missing this feature, upgrade your PlayBook to OS 2.0. BlackBerry Bridge (the app for the PlayBook) is included with OS 2.0 I believe, among other functions not available with the original OS.

You will also have to install BlackBerry Bridge on your BB smartphone.
    05-30-12 03:53 AM
    Yes, I know I can use file manager to access files on both the internal storage and the SD card in my phone. However, I don't believe you can access videos files specifically.
    05-30-12 04:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD