My wife has a 9700 and I occasionally mess with it! Whenever I've played with BBmaps, even if the gps (locaton services) is off, a rough location appears on the map - it's not fabulously accurate but it's pretty good considering that it's just using the cell towers for triangulation!

On my shiny new Torch, it seems that no location is possible at all unless the gps is on. Without the gps on, as soon as you hit the location button the Torch asks you to turn on the gps.

Is there any way to get a rough location on the Torch without GPS?
    12-04-10 12:16 PM
    My wife has a 9700 and I occasionally mess with it! Whenever I've played with BBmaps, even if the gps (locaton services) is off, a rough location appears on the map - it's not fabulously accurate but it's pretty good considering that it's just using the cell towers for triangulation!

On my shiny new Torch, it seems that no location is possible at all unless the gps is on. Without the gps on, as soon as you hit the location button the Torch asks you to turn on the gps.

Is there any way to get a rough location on the Torch without GPS?
    Hmm that's weird, mine normally uses cell triangulation until it hooks up to GPS..It says "your location within 1km" or something like that, until it gets a GPS signal and narrows it down to about 3M.

Not sure tbh
    12-04-10 12:30 PM
    Thats exactly what my wife's 9700 says but my Torch just sits there and does nothing at all until the GPS is activated!
    Is my Torch faulty?
    12-04-10 12:36 PM
    Thats exactly what my wife's 9700 says but my Torch just sits there and does nothing at all until the GPS is activated!
    Is my Torch faulty?
    I doubt it, it's probably something to do with the settings. I've only had mine for a couple of weeks, not sure about how you'd fix it to be honest. Sorry
    12-04-10 12:50 PM
    Try this. Go to Options > Device > Location Settings. Under Data Source select Device GPS; under Location Aiding select Enabled. That should locate your approximate location until the GPS kicks in. ~Cheers.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-04-10 04:59 PM
    Hmm, this is strange.
    I don't have a 'Location Aiding' option on either the 9700 or the Torch!
    I just have "GPS Data Source" (device gps) and "Location Services" (on/off).

There's a bunch of stuff below that with num of satellites etc but none of that is selectable.

I live in an area where I only have GPRS (ie. no 3g). Will this make a difference?
    12-05-10 01:15 AM
    **UPDATE**
    The Location Aiding option is there but only shows itself when the GPS is turned on. It's already selected anyway but seems to ONLY be working when the 'normal' GPS is turned on.
    Is there any way to just have Location aiding without satellite-based GPS ?

Both phones are with O2 btw.
    12-05-10 05:46 AM
    Sorry, I believe its both or nothing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-05-10 05:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD