Found this on an Android forum while trying to fix my wifes battery problem and figured id try it on my Torch and it worked battery lasts 2 days with normal usage

1. Connect the phone to the charger with the phone powered on, and allow the phone to charge until it shows 100%

2. Disconnect the phone from the charger, and power it off.

3. Reconnect the phone to the charger with the phone powered off, and allow the phone to charge until the battery indicator shows 100% (you can use vol-up/vol-down to make the indicator come back up when the screen goes to sleep).

4. Disconnect the phone from the charger and power it on.

5. Once the phone is powered completely on, power it off again and reconnect it to the charger until the battery indicator shows 100%.

6. Disconnect the phone, power it on, and use it.
    01-12-11 07:15 PM
    Is that charging the phone 3 times. After my phone is charged 100% the 1st time it shows 100% the next 2 times I plug it up right away. What's the theroy here.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-12-11 07:33 PM
    Mine always set into 2g.. When need to browse then set to 3g or use wifi.. Normal use could get me 1.5days.. Will try ur tricks

01-12-11 07:57 PM
    Its suppose to calibrate your battery.

01-12-11 08:41 PM
    to calibrate a lithium-ion battery you need to discharge it completely (until it power off by itself) and recharge it, it seem that it should be done very 20th charge, which I think it's a little too soon but I could be wrong.
    01-12-11 08:50 PM
    Found this on an Android forum while trying to fix my wifes battery problem and figured id try it on my Torch and it worked battery lasts 2 days with normal usage

1. Connect the phone to the charger with the phone powered on, and allow the phone to charge until it shows 100%

2. Disconnect the phone from the charger, and power it off.

3. Reconnect the phone to the charger with the phone powered off, and allow the phone to charge until the battery indicator shows 100% (you can use vol-up/vol-down to make the indicator come back up when the screen goes to sleep).

4. Disconnect the phone from the charger and power it on.

5. Once the phone is powered completely on, power it off again and reconnect it to the charger until the battery indicator shows 100%.

6. Disconnect the phone, power it on, and use it.

Known as "Bump Charging". Read lots of different theories about bump charging, some say battery lasts longer, some say its bad for the battery. Many say they get better battery life if they charge while the phone is off rather than charging while phone is on.

01-12-11 09:07 PM
    Interesting, according to BlackBerry the battery used does not maintain a "memory" like the lithium-ion types do. Check here for BBs answer to battery maximum life.
    AcADIeN likes this.
    01-12-11 09:23 PM
    I vote use it till it needs charging, then charge it.
    01-12-11 09:25 PM
    I vote use it till it needs charging, then charge it.
    Exactly! I doubt all this plug unplug thing makes much of a difference anyways.

01-12-11 09:34 PM
    How much battery life do you think we'll all gain if we only picked up our BBs when we actually needed to send an email/bbm/text or use the web... A lot of the times I do pick up my torch it's for nothing. I just have a habit/addiction on picking it up and scrolling around lol....

01-13-11 05:30 AM
    I don't know if I have mine set different, but when turned off and plugged up I don't have a screen or batt. Bar. The volume up/down buttons don't do anything. My led turns green when its completely charged and red when its charging.
    I tried this charging thing this morning and as I thought when the batt. Meter shiws the batt. Completely charged while turned on when you unplug it and do the steps it shows right away the batt. Is completely charged. No wait time.. So is the magic in the procedure? I was taking it that it would take all 3 steps to completely charge the battery.
    I know how to hekp the battery last longer. Run no more apps than you avtually need or using at a time. Multitasking can be a curse on the battery. You have an app manger turn things offs. Just takes a second. Don't let apps just run when not using them. I know I said the same thing 3 different ways. Just want to cover all aspects.

01-13-11 06:55 AM
    Yeah I don't know if it would be worth the effort to plug/unplug the phone so many times. I am an average user with mostly emails/messages and probably around 1 hour of average talk time / day and the battery lasts me 2 days anyway.

It could be due to the fact that I don't use WiFi, even when I'm near a hotspot. I mean I have 500MB plan from Rogers and have never gone over the limit so why not use it instead of the WiFi.
    01-13-11 11:44 AM
    It seems a little bit esoteric for me.

If there's a quite simple solution to extend battery life why don't RIM do this in the factory?
    01-13-11 02:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD