I received my Torch today from my company's IT department. The battery was missing from the box. I have a beautiful new 9800 on my desk and I can't even turn it on!

I'm told that a replacement will be shipped "soon".

I called almost every store in the Toronto area to purchase a spare battery but RIM has not shipped spare batteries to any of the retailers in Canada. [insert emoticon for middle-finger]

Since it's apparent that it's impossible to get spare batteries in Canada, I now understand why someone stole mine before it was shipped. [two middle-fingers for the dude who stole my battery]

Updates will be posted as the batterygate saga unfolds.
    10-12-10 03:57 PM
    crackberry Canadian store actually has decent shipping now so try there
    10-12-10 05:14 PM
    Ha ha....B*stard !!!!!!
    10-12-10 05:42 PM
    crackberry Canadian store actually has decent shipping now so try there
    Yikes, the battery on the Crackberry store is $59.95 plus shipping plus tax. That's a whopping $75.78. Are you kidding me? That battery had better be powered by plutonium.

Have a Torch here without being able to turn it on is like being sick in bed on a snow day. I'm watching the other kids playing outside while thinking my life sucks.
    10-12-10 07:14 PM
    ROFLMAO This is one of the funniest things I've read today. The funniest thing heard today is my manager calling T-Mobile "T-Maybe": Maybe it'll work, maybe it wont.
    10-12-10 07:19 PM
    Yikes, the battery on the Crackberry store is $59.95 plus shipping plus tax. That's a whopping $75.78. Are you kidding me? That battery had better be powered by plutonium.

Have a Torch here without being able to turn it on is like being sick in bed on a snow day. I'm watching the other kids playing outside while thinking my life sucks.
    LMAO @ your analogy

and $60 for a battery isn't really that bad,
    NOT GOOD, but that is only 10% of the cost of the device out of contract.

I am probably going to get an extended battery for my torch in the new year, can't spend more money on BB's this year!
    10-12-10 07:21 PM
    10-12-10 07:24 PM
    you'll pay about $5-7 in duties above the shipping costs. keep that in mind
    10-12-10 07:29 PM
    To the OP, if I were you I'd kick your IT department (or whoever gave you the phone) in the jewels...
    10-12-10 07:30 PM
    I'm kind of Jealous your IT department gave you guys Torchs

I got given a 8530 when they took my 8330 away, and I argued and agreed to pay $25 dollars out of pocket to get the 9300 too ( I want OS6 for it when it is released, they don't need to know that LOL)

If they gave us Torches it would be freaken sweet!
    10-12-10 07:35 PM

I got given a 8530 when they took my 8330 away, and I argued and agreed to pay $25 dollars out of pocket to get the 9300 too ( I want OS6 for it when it is released, they don't need to know that LOL)

the 9300 isn't a bad device...
    10-12-10 08:00 PM

8530 ain't half bad. We had the 8703 until about January of this year when BC introduced their new cell phone/hands free laws and the company was basically forced to upgrade because what we were using didn't have voice dialing. Of course instead of getting at least the 8530, they went for the next cheapest full qwerty, the 8330.

I work with mainly non-tech people, so I'm always greeted with oohs and aahs when I pull out my personal berry, first the Tour, now the Torch. Pretty funny...imagine if I pull out something like a Droid X or Desire lol.
    10-12-10 08:06 PM
    8530 ain't half bad. We had the 8703 until about January of this year when BC introduced their new cell phone/hands free laws and the company was basically forced to upgrade because what we were using didn't have voice dialing. Of course instead of getting at least the 8530, they went for the next cheapest full qwerty, the 8330.

I work with mainly non-tech people, so I'm always greeted with oohs and aahs when I pull out my personal berry, first the Tour, now the Torch. Pretty funny...imagine if I pull out something like a Droid X or Desire lol.
    I still would've went with the 8530 just cause of the trackpad... They're going to get stuck with the "sticky balls" complaints, no pun intended.
    10-12-10 08:08 PM
    The 9800 won't be the standard issue device for my company. I had to make a convincing argument to allow me to order one. I am the beta tester for the device and I was warned that I would not receive any technical support.

When they said "no technical support", I think they really meant it because when I called [my IT department] saying my battery was missing, they promised to get back to me. Now they aren't returning my calls or emails.

Aside from actually being able to turn it on, the hardware is impressive - but there is a slight wobble on the slider. Having a battery installed will fix this, right?
    10-12-10 08:10 PM
    the 9300 isn't a bad device...
    No it isn't but isn't great either, especially in Ontario

I'd Rather keep my 8330 over having taken the 9300.
    the 8330 keyboard is better than the 8530/9300 and the build quality was soo much nice, it took a major beating, the 8330 trackball was SO easy to clean, you could do it at a traffic light.

the only advantage of the 8530 is wifi, and trackpad, it isn't really that important if you're using business only. and my best ever scores on Brick Breaker was on the 8330... lol

The 9800 won't be the standard issue device for my company. I had to make a convincing argument to allow me to order one. I am the beta tester for the device and I was warned that I would not receive any technical support.

When they said "no technical support", I think they really meant it because when I called [my IT department] saying my battery was missing, they promised to get back to me. Now they aren't returning my calls or emails.

Aside from actually being able to turn it on, the hardware is impressive - but there is a slight wobble on the slider. Having a battery installed will fix this, right?

I have no wobble, with or with out the battery in it,
    10-12-10 08:38 PM
    No it isn't but isn't great either, especially in Ontario

What does Ontario have to do with the 9300 being a good or bad device?
    Last edited by phoneking13; 10-12-10 at 10:51 PM.
    10-12-10 10:48 PM
    What does Ontario have to do with the 9300 being a good or bad device?

the 9300 on Bell in Ontario means is uses the HSPA network, which geographically covers less than 1/3rd the province.
    10-12-10 11:21 PM
    the 9300 on Bell in Ontario means is uses the HSPA network, which geographically covers less than 1/3rd the province.
    Oh ok..... Got my girl the 9300 on T-Maybe and it's working good so far (as i haven't heard any complaints from her, yet.)
    10-12-10 11:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD