with the new upgrade i was literally shocked with how long my battery lasts
    day
    Ditto

The new upgrade REALLY makes a difference on battery life. I'm very impressed!
    10-07-10 08:33 PM
    I'm having very good battery life on my torch. Just did 2 full days with fairly heavy usage. Just got the phone a couple days ago so was installing apps and playing around with it.

I'd look at what apps are running. You more than likely have something that's killing it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-07-10 09:03 PM
    I closed all apps. I am running OS6 9800/6.0.0.246 something has to be wrong here.

10-08-10 07:06 AM
    Yeah, your batterys probably bunk

10-08-10 07:19 AM
    Bunk???

10-08-10 10:24 AM
    I didn't notice any significant difference in battery life between all the different OSes, I could go close to 2 days before recharging, although I prefer a fresh charge each day so I charge at night every night. From a full charge at about 6 AM to 11 PM I've very rarely gone down to near 50%, usually in the 60s at the end of the day.

One of the biggest things that I can't stress enough (and I have in several other threads regarding battery life) is to TURN OFF 3G unless you absolutely need it. When you have the phone set to 2G + 3G, it will default to 3G but whenever you lose 3G coverage it will drop to 2G and will keep searching for 3G service. This will significantly decrease battery life. Since 3G is only necessary for things like streaming audio or video or heavy internet browsing, or being able to use data services while talking on the phone, if you're not doing any of these things then you should keep 3G off.

Screen brightness and timeout also help greatly. Brightness set at 10 or even 0 is still plenty bright to be able to use the phone normally, yet will help save on battery. A shorter timeout will help also.

Also as mentioned plenty of times, GPS aware apps and apps that constantly update will drain the battery more quickly. Changing update intervals to less frequent or manual will help also.
    10-08-10 01:21 PM

One of the biggest things that I can't stress enough (and I have in several other threads regarding battery life) is to TURN OFF 3G unless you absolutely need it. When you have the phone set to 2G + 3G, it will default to 3G but whenever you lose 3G coverage it will drop to 2G and will keep searching for 3G service. This will significantly decrease battery life. Since 3G is only necessary for things like streaming audio or video or heavy internet browsing, or being able to use data services while talking on the phone, if you're not doing any of these things then you should keep 3G off.
    When i select 2G only, the phone cannot find service I am with Virgin Mobile Canada, they are HSPA or whatever it is called. Would you reccommend putting it to only 3G then, will that help? Should I call VM and ask for a replacement battery or phone? Thanks for everyones' help.
    Last edited by BlakBairy; 10-08-10 at 02:12 PM.
    10-08-10 02:06 PM
    If they don't have a 2g network, then yeah you might as well put it to 3g.
    10-08-10 02:08 PM
    My overall impression of the Torch is rapidly declining simply because of the horrible battery life. I've got THREE batteries now and have to carry a charged back-up because I don't trust the Torch. I don't use RSS feeds, I have it set to 2G, don't use wi-fi, don't use internet radio. All gps functions are off and I always make sure no apps are running in the background. With that said, I email primarily and after a day of 50-60 email exchanges and a few moments of internet research I'm down to 30%. To me that's just unacceptable and I truly don't know how you guys are getting 2-3 days of use without charging. I actually deleted almost every app just to reduce possible traffic and the battery still SUCKS. Thank god I can still rely on my 9700 for DAYS without issues like this annoying Torch.

10-08-10 02:10 PM
    I totally feel the same way you do, I just need some advice if maybe it is the battery or the device, itself...
    10-08-10 02:13 PM
    If you post about battery life I recommend posting the OS version... Otherwise the general recommendation is always going to be to update to .246.
    10-08-10 02:17 PM
    I did previously and yes, i have .246
    10-08-10 02:20 PM
    If you're bored I'd try backing up only emails/sms/and contacts, then wiping the device with BBSAK and reinstalling the OS. Then restore only those items.

See if it's the same.
    10-08-10 02:24 PM
    i took it off the charger at 6:30am.. it;'s 3:30 now and i am at 75%.. wifi on all day at work, pattern lock on, sms popup, bbms all day, browsing, emails and a few phone calls..

pretty good i'd have to say
    10-08-10 02:28 PM
    Ok, I will try that, do you think an improvement is likely?
    10-08-10 02:28 PM
    I have no clue because I can't exactly troubleshoot your device and I don't know what the root cause is.

If you have weak signal though, or the network keeps switching, then it might just be drain from the radio power from constantly trying to search out signal and not even app or OS related.

ie. my Torch gets about the same battery life as my 9650 did with a 2600mah battery (more than double the mah on the Torch battery) because my Sprint reception was crap (GSM vs CDMA will make a bit of a difference too, but not that much...).
    10-08-10 02:31 PM
    Ok, so today i left the phone off until 2:30. I listened to some music maybe 20 mins today so far, went on browser for 10 mins, i make sure all apps are closed, no wi-fi, bluetooth, screen at 50 from 100 at 80% now... is that normal? I send maybe 3 texts and some bbms, but i tried to really limit it today. It sounds a little bit abnormal to me?
    10-08-10 02:36 PM
    Oddly enough, after I updated to .246 I feel the battery life is even worse. I've been down to a local ATT Device Support Center and they watched my battery discharge 20% in 15 minutes just browsing the web. They insist its the device but that will be my 3rd Torch in a month and frankly tired of having to re-do my phone every week. I was in love with the Torch but since I can't use the dam thing for more than a few hours without swapping batteries I've gone back to my 9700. Torch obviously still has major issues yet to be addressed so I think Ill wait until they're ironed out.

10-08-10 02:54 PM
    Ill call and ask for a new battery, does anyone think the problem is device or battery related?
    10-08-10 03:13 PM
    I have never had mine go below about 30% after a day's worth of heavy use. I don't expect it to last long enough to replace my laptop, but it lasts plenty long enough to serve its purpose. I am on 2G (TMobile) and have GPS mostly off, but I do leave it on for Berryweather which updates every hour. Texts, emails, and FB updates all day, and medium browser use when I am on campus two days a week. I don't talk on it more than about 30 minutes a day, though, so maybe that helps.
    10-08-10 03:35 PM
    Question: Is it bad to give the phone boosts of charge no and again? Or is that wrecking "battery memory"?
    10-08-10 03:52 PM
    Lithium ion batteries don't have a memory
    10-08-10 04:11 PM
    Question: Is it bad to give the phone boosts of charge no and again? Or is that wrecking "battery memory"?
    It's alright with lithium ion batteries. With the old Nickel Cadmium batteries, it was recommended to charge them fully and let them die fully before recharging to avoid losing 'memory' but that's no longer a problem with lithium ion.
    10-08-10 04:35 PM
    I just wish this problem would go away. Its so stressing.

10-08-10 05:20 PM
    would def agree this problem sux pretty bad...i remember i had it happen on my 9700 and it was due to apps checking for updates even when off...also i found out vlingo and youmail were draining my battery pretty bad. You may want to do a fresh os install and not install any apps try that for a day and see what the battery life is...if battery life is better then try adding a few apps at a time to see what finally causes the drain...its kind of a long process but u never know u may get lucky the first time around.

Good luck and keep us posted.
    10-08-10 05:40 PM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD