Got my 9800.

Backed up and restored my 9700 to the new device.

Installed WhatsApp and Poynt.

Everything seemed to be running smooth. Battery life whilst in use was perfect. I'd say I had a 90% charge left when I went to sleep at 1am . Woke up at 7:30am and battery is RED.

Checked the Menu key to see any open applications. Nothing.

Just did a security wipe and will be restoring only my contacts, pictures etc.

I have read other forum members report that WhatsApp is a mega drainer. I NEVER found that to be the case with the 9700 so what's going on here? Is there any way to save on the batt drain and use WA? Is there a better alternative OTHER THAN BBM.

Why does BBM not drain out the Battery like WhatsApp does?

Crazy.
    02-02-11 03:40 AM
    I had whats app and never noticed any significant drain on my Torch vs when I uninstalled it. I'm thinking maybe its another app or something? When you say you backed up and restored, did that include any other apps? Did you do any battery pulls after you got everything installed and setup?
    02-02-11 04:11 AM
    I presume it did.

I've just done the wipe and performed another restore. This tme I have done a custom restore and only chosen the general information. Once restored, I will do a battery pull and keep the phone on charge and what goes on.

If all is good tomorrow morning, I will install WhatsApp first and test another day. Then I will install Poynt and test another day.

If things are good, ill assume something in my original restore screwed it up.
    02-02-11 04:26 AM
    Yeah. Don't jump to any conclusions. Do some batt pulls and give it a day or so. I remember my 9700 once going from full to red JUST SITTING on my desk one day from like noon to 4 pm.
    It had never done it before and never did it again after that time. In retrospect, I"m assuming it went into some crazy network search for signal that really took a toll on the batt (just a theory). Point is-- BBs are like that sometimes.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-02-11 04:31 AM
    I agree with the battery pull concept. or do the alt-shift-del if you don't want to physically pull the battery
    02-02-11 04:36 AM
    I presume it did.

I've just done the wipe and performed another restore. This tme I have done a custom restore and only chosen the general information. Once restored, I will do a battery pull and keep the phone on charge and what goes on.

If all is good tomorrow morning, I will install WhatsApp first and test another day. Then I will install Poynt and test another day.

If things are good, ill assume something in my original restore screwed it up.
    02-02-11 04:40 AM
    I agree with the battery pull concept. or do the alt-shift-del if you don't want to physically pull the battery
    Soft reset(alt + shift+ del) can not replace what an actual physical battery pull does. When installing an OS or theme or the occasional app, a battery pull should always be done over a soft reset.
    02-02-11 06:28 AM
    I had this exact problem moving from a 9700 to the Torch. I found it was because I installed Poynt from the Backup of your 9700. I read somewhere on here a while back that sometimes problems can arise when switching devices and reinstalling the apps from a backup. Uninstall Poynt and then reinstall and that should stop your batter drain. It worked for me anyway.

02-02-11 08:41 AM
    Yeah. Installing apps from scratch may be a good idea.

02-02-11 01:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD