My battery is draining ridiculously quickly. Even with minimal use, I barely make it through the day. I am on 9800/6.0.0.337. Does anyone know the best way to determine which app is draining the battery other than deleting apps one by one?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-15-10 01:31 PM
    3G drained my battery pretty easily, switch to 2G when you aren't browsing the internet. Also check for any 3rd party apps or apps in general that could be running in the background. I know that Pandora you have to manually shut down the app in order to get it to quit running in the background.
    yybenedb likes this.
    12-15-10 01:40 PM
    Press and hold the BB button to see what apps are running in the background. You might have an app still running that you thought you had closed.
    yybenedb and ANDREWSIMS141 like this.
    12-15-10 01:42 PM
    If your network settings are 2G/3G, set it to 2G or 3G only, in my case the baterry drained faster when the device was switching between them. Don't know why it even wanted to switch, I have excellent 3G coverage where I live.

After doing this I've gotten more juice. Usualy around 25% left by 10:00 pm

yybenedb likes this.
    12-15-10 03:11 PM
    As homer asked, what apps are running in thee background (hold down the BB Menu key to see the app switcher). You can also go into options > device > app management then swipe once to the right. Watch the screen to see what apps are taking up CPU time.

Another thing to do is set the screen brightness to "0" and check the auto dimm box.

What apps are you running? Twitter is a pig even updating every hour. Unfortunately 1 hour is the max for the native app. Also any RSS readers updating frequently will drain the battery. BerryWeather or any other weather app updating more than once and hour especially if they are using the GPS will also drain the battery. Next Y! Messenger is a REAL pig if you are leaving that logged in all the time. GPS apps in general is left running will drain the battery quickly.

Please report back.

12-15-10 03:37 PM
    Thanks for all the replies! Actually, I am aware of the various means of seeing what is running in the background and have shut down everything that shows there and deleted apps that do not allow me to shut them down. It appears that some apps can run in the background without showing....
    I had also tried the CPU suggestion and don't see anything significant other than 'options'.
    I really don't want to switch to 2G as the speed difference in the city, at any rate, is dramatic.
    I will play with screen brightness although, I think that I already have it down pretty low.
    Is there any app that tracks which apps are the hardest on the battery? I remember an app on my old Palm 680 that used to do that. It helped me identify and eliminate culprits.
    Thanks again for all the suggestions!

12-15-10 06:07 PM
    No apps that I am aware of but things like BerryWeather will not show up in the app switcher nor will FB or Twitter etc. This means you have to know what is installed and go look at each app individually.

12-15-10 11:10 PM
    Come on then, list the apps that you have running so that we can offer comment!
    12-16-10 02:12 AM
    Mine doesn't even last half a day.
    Programs I have on:

Twitter
    Facebook
    Bbm
    Windows live messenger
    Bloombeg mobile
    Google mobile app
    Openbeak - could never remove this prograM. Any tips? Tried delete, but it seems to stiLl rUn in the background even after a delete then restart.

12-16-10 02:44 AM
    Is wlm, logged in and is GM running? You have to specifically choose "logout" and then "exit" or "quit" from within the applications. How are you removing OpenBreak?

12-16-10 07:29 AM
    Ok. Almost all of them ran on my 9700 with no noticeable drain. But you asked for it so here it is:
    Quicklaunch
    Addonis
    Fast Scroll
    LinkedIn
    MessageSchedule
    Aerize Alerts
    Filescout
    LaterDude Pro
    WheresMyPhone
    Gwabbit
    Forward Reply & Edit
    Six Tools
    I suspected some other aps such as Smart Wi-Fi and removed them already.

Last edited by yybenedb; 12-16-10 at 08:34 AM.
    12-16-10 08:26 AM
    ...especially if they are using the GPS will also drain the battery. Next Y! Messenger is a REAL pig if you are leaving that logged in all the time. GPS apps in general is left running will drain the battery quickly.

Please report back.

Yeah, when I turned my GPS off, it helped a ton. Just go into "Options" then "Location Settings" and turn it off.
    12-16-10 09:43 AM
    I hate to burst your bubble but the Torch battery is known to be sub standard
    12-16-10 09:56 AM
    Don't you just love it when someone who doesnt even own the device comes in here and posts crap like this? yes your 9780 battery is larger and doesn't have to power a huge touchscreen, but what do i know i only OWN the device and use it daily.

FYI...
    My battery lasts an entire day(7am to 10pm) with moderate to heavy usage. It all depends on how you have your device setup.
    12-16-10 11:06 AM
    I added toggle GPS on Quicklaunch. GPS is off. I'll report later.

12-16-10 12:00 PM
    My battery will last all day with heavy Pandora and Slacker use. GPS Location on. Heavy texting/browsing/facebook/twitter use.
    I still end up with about 25% battery left at the end of the day. I run my phone from about 8am to 10pm and just pop it back on the charger at the end of the night.
    12-16-10 12:16 PM
    Think I was getting higher battery drain due to Xobni. Caught it using 57% cpu at some point even though its set only to sync when the device is charging...
    12-16-10 12:37 PM
    My has been known to be pretty darn good
    12-16-10 12:40 PM
    My has been known to be pretty darn good
    That's surprising, but Im glad to hear that

quite surprising though considering the battery capacity is lower and the screen is bigger + add the touch screen
    12-16-10 12:49 PM
    So far after ditching Xobni I'm averaging about 2.7-4.0% dph instead of 6-8% prior.

A little too early to tell, but based on the cpu usage I saw before I think it definitely was having a significant battery impact...
    12-16-10 01:10 PM
    Good to hear. I run sevearl of the other apps as well. MeterBerry and some other apps have a logging feature that defaults to 30 mins. I set it to an hour. Also MB can rotate icons. If using an app that does something like that, it can drain the battery. Personally I do not use that MB feature. I leave my GPS on because I have BerryWeather updating based on GPS location every hour... I can make it an entire day with about 30% left and - am a heavy user. Also it is known that if using 3G data vs wifi, it uses more battery and this has nothing to do with handing down to 2G...

12-16-10 01:47 PM
    i recently installed twitter and now my battery is more then half dead by end of day. i would barely break 80% by night. twitter is set for manual refresh. im thinking ur twiter might have an impact also
    12-16-10 01:49 PM
    GPS off did little if anything to slow the drain. Experimenting with 2G/3G now.
    12-16-10 03:44 PM
    GPS won't do anything since gps is only utilized while acquiring a lock, which an app would have to continually do all the time to cause significant drain.
    12-16-10 03:52 PM
    BW will kill a battery if it cannot get a GPS lock. Yes Twitter is a pig as I think a said earlier. Logout, then exit the app and you"ll see.

12-16-10 06:25 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD