I have a question I hope someone can answer.

I am looking for a new battery for my 9800 and I don't want to buy one of the $30-50 ones from MOST sites. I have done some searching and stumbled across this little gem (see attached picture), but it comes with a Code-Duplicate Clamp and it says, "Read & save the original code via connecting replacement battery & original battery."

Does anyone have any idea if that is necessary, or even what it is or what it does or how it does it. Any help would be great because this is the first battery I have seen with this.
    Last edited by rjkolo; 12-29-10 at 02:11 PM.
    12-29-10 02:08 PM
    I have a question I hope someone can answer.

I am looking for a new battery for my 9800 and I don't want to buy one of the $30-50 ones from MOST sites. I have done some searching and stumbled across this little gem (see attached picture), but it comes with a Code-Duplicate Clamp and it says, "Read & save the original code via connecting replacement battery & original battery."

Does anyone have any idea if that is necessary, or even what it is or what it does or how it does it. Any help would be great because this is the first battery I have seen with this.
    I'd personally suggest -not- purchasing the product above from DX, OEM batteries are expensive for a reason, strict QC, extensive testing, etc.

Most likely the little unit above is used to copy the code within the original battery which verifies it as authentic, to the new, clone battery, so your device doesn't notice a difference.

Cheap Chinese knock-off batteries have been known to explode, and cause serious injury to the user, and completely destory devices, there was a huge issue with Nokia batteries a few years ago, one which resulted in the user getting some pretty severe burns after their device exploded while attached to their hip.

If you want a good quality battery, save your money, and pay the 30-50 dollars to get an actual battery from RIM, or a reputable manufacture like Seidio once they come out with F-S1 battery units of their own. I can understand wanting to save some money at a time like this, but when you've paid as much as you have for your device, you have to ask yourself if it's really worth the risk.
    Last edited by xDAKx; 12-29-10 at 03:48 PM.
    rjkolo likes this.
    12-29-10 03:46 PM
    Try ebay for a new oem battery it will be a little cheaper than retail.
    12-29-10 04:56 PM
    I agree with DAK.
    12-29-10 05:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD