I was on eBay looking for an extra battery for my new Torch and I found some of them offer a code chip to use when the extra battery show error... Other say just remember to code the battery before use it, but don't bring the chip... What are they talking about? I can't just buy another battery and use it like I did with my other blakberrys?
    Last edited by chamomiami; 04-11-11 at 06:38 PM.
    04-11-11 06:13 PM
    You can if you buy an OEM battery. Seems that the knockoff ones need to "fake it" by cloning some kind of code used by the BB to determine if it's an OE battery.

Personally, I wouldn't use the copy cat batteries.
    04-11-11 07:48 PM
    You can if you buy an OEM battery. Seems that the knockoff ones need to "fake it" by cloning some kind of code used by the BB to determine if it's an OE battery.

Personally, I wouldn't use the copy cat batteries.
    +1. I always use OEM accessories / products. A little more $$$ but I have never had any issues...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-11-11 09:25 PM
    little more is an understatment when it comes to some items.

i got the extended battery from a seller on ebay (empireacc) and its one of the "code" units..

the battery arrived pretty much discharged so you pop it in the phone and charge it with the big black X screen until the phone can attempt to boot.

it will make it about 5% into the progress boot bar and blank out.

then you pop the new battery and oem battery into a little "coding" tray that copys the oem battery code into the extended one and then replace back into the torch and you are good to go.

came with a door for the extended battery to that surprisingly matched the finish of oem quite well.. fit wasent quite upto par but it was far from unacceptable.

battery life is rediculous. up there with my 8700's life with the sedio extended battery. but on the downside the fortte case i have does not fit the phone with extended battery and door.

also if your phone has to reboot for whatever reason it looses the code. this is a BiG downer as i was away from home once and tried installing an app.. then reboot. and it lost the code.

was fine once i re-coded the battery when i got home with the oem battery again but this must be done after every reboot!

if you will be home for a while though and dont need a case on the phone all the time this is a great option.

i also got the cradle from oembest on ebay and while one battery is in the phone the other charges in the aux charging slot in the cradle. if the oem battery and door are in the phone i can charge it in the cradle also but requires a plug into the usb port of the computer as well as a/c receptacle.

what else.. running .526 for reference. but i have found the oem battery to be lasting longer lately as well, i think rim has been tweeking the software quite nicely. maybe time to up the clock multiplier or bus frequency on this new cpu and let the new legs run!
    Last edited by sm4k; 04-12-11 at 01:47 AM. Reason: accuracy
    04-12-11 01:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD