I wish Verizon would come out with great phones like AT&T with the Torch. The best I can get is the 9650 so I gotta settle with this model and gotta wait forever for OS 6 (if it even gets released for the 9650) Verizon needs to come out with the Torch. I want the Torch, not the carrier.
    08-26-10 09:53 PM
    i love the nokia 8800. i wish the battery life didnt suck anymore.. worthless for anything else other than looking nice and making phone calls but its the simplicity that made me keep it for as long as i did. also cause the slider was the best slider i've ever had (hopefully until the time i get my 9800)

sliders imo need that space below the keys to actually become comfortable, thats why i think the 8800 work so well for me!

but yeh. 9700 or not, its what works for you and in the end, you're still going back to a device thats uses RIMs proprietary software and if that work for you, then great. luckily for the 9700, you hopefully wont have too long to have OS 6 if that's your thing.

I personally love slider, i really want to have the hybrid touch functionality and keyboard so I can't wait!

by the way, im using a netbook right this very moment, typing outside with excellent battery life - its not for everyone but its the best device to have to storing photos and videos on the go without resorting to a larger notebook or photo tank device.

yay!
    08-26-10 11:28 PM
    This was funny in a weird way
    08-26-10 11:58 PM
    I understand the OP. One of the main reasons I don't use my ip4 , even though it's great, is there's too much gadgetry and too much distraction.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-27-10 05:50 AM
    Yeah, I understand the OP, too. With the 9000, it was really simple to just whip out the device and just hit a shortcut key to call my wife or bring up the memo pad with lists for the grocery store or Home Depot, etc.

If I want to do that now, I have to open the slider (and keep the auto Universal Search function disabled). And half the time when I whip it out, the screen has somehow become unlocked and, because of the touch input, something (usually Manage Connections) has been opened, requiring me to close it.

It doesn't sound like much, but together with a bunch of other things, it's enough where I can see someone preferring the simple, good old days, like when the only thing you had to worry about choosing from on TV were the three networks, PBS, and a few independent stations.

I like social networking, though, and the camera and video are a huge improvement over the 9000/9700 (I have young kids, so I use them a lot). So it's kind of a trade off -- simplicity for being able to do a lot more of what you want to do better.
    08-27-10 06:21 AM
    I know my post makes no sense. I just like the "simplicity" of the 9700 opposed to the 9800.

And the social media aspects of the Torch are FAR superior to the 9700. The main differences of the 9700 and 9800 is the social media and how it all integrates and the video, audio, etc.

Glad I could confuse you all into some humor! Haha...
    I appreciate the fact you took all this in good humor. I do wish though that people would quit posting threads about how they had to return the Torch and go back to a different phone, somehow implying it was something to do with the Torch and not just personal preference or not taking the time to learn about the new phone. The majority of the "problems" I see people having with the Torch on this board is related to exactly that, personal preference and not taking the time to learn the new device.

I agree the 9700 is a great phone and it gets the job some very well. Enjoy.
    08-27-10 09:27 AM
    i don't exactly agree with the notion not to post "returning the torch for personal reason"
    i just think the OP who's gonna be starting the thread need to put in initially that it's a matter of preference and that nothing is wrong with the device
    08-27-10 09:34 AM
    Hey guys He is right!

WE DONT DESERVE THE TORCH.
    We are just simple human and we need another level of concienness.

jajajajajajajaja
    08-27-10 09:40 AM
    Look, I went back to my 9700. I did it bc I thought the 9700 was better. Not true. The torch is a newer device and does everything the 9700 does but even better. Now as soon as I get paid, imma go buy me another torch.
    The torch is freaking awesome. Maybe not for everyone, but for me the whole idea and the whole device is freaking awesome.

08-27-10 11:47 AM
    I appreciate the fact you took all this in good humor. I do wish though that people would quit posting threads about how they had to return the Torch and go back to a different phone, somehow implying it was something to do with the Torch and not just personal preference or not taking the time to learn about the new phone. The majority of the "problems" I see people having with the Torch on this board is related to exactly that, personal preference and not taking the time to learn the new device.

I agree the 9700 is a great phone and it gets the job some very well. Enjoy.
    Thanks, I know its all in fun. Bottom line, the 9700 is just better for me and the 2 weeks I had the Torch is what brought me to realize that. I did a lot of research of the device but still felt I needed to try it out in the end. And again, you are correct in saying that the "problems" everyone is having are mainly user generated. In my original post, I didn't say the torch had any "problems," I just said it had features that didn't suit me well. If you read what I said, I said that the Torch has all those great features, features that just don't suit me.

When and if OS6 becomes available for the 9700, I will have the best of both worlds.

To everyone else, thanks for the daily laughs, what can I say, I'm not man enough for the Torch!

08-27-10 12:40 PM
    I went to the 9800 Torch from a 9700 Bold and then to a Samsung Captivate. Now after some serious soul searching on what my primary needs are. I really needed a reliable phone that can handle email, calendar and messaging efficiently. I loved the Android powered Captivate for the amazing browser and apps but the battery life on it wasn't good enough.

I am now back on the Bold 9700 and couldn't be happier.
    09-30-10 03:32 PM
    Didn't think I'd be getting slammed for going back to a device that's more suited for me. Also didn't realize the 9700 was 40 years older than the 9800. As one poster stated earlier, can do pretty much the same thing on the 9700 that you can do on the 9800. So why pay extra for what's "new" when your '67 can do what the new Jetta can?

Your not getting slammed brother. The thing is that so many trollz roll up in here and slam the BBs and the torch that it was actually funny that 1 persons complaint was that it was to good of a phone. I like all of my BBs that includes the 9700. I'm in love w/ this torch. Even though it might be to much I'm going to enjoy it. LoL

09-30-10 08:05 PM
    I gotta say, I thought long and hard about replacing my trusted 9000, and one of my biggest concerns was whether or not the Torch would be way the h e l l more phone than I need, or if I'd just be overwhelmed by the fact that it might have more features and stuff than I could possibly use. I even considered just upgrading to the 9700 as another option, but only because it's the same form factor I was so comfortable with. Then I just weighed it out; my only complaints with the 9000 were the small display and the crappy browser. If the Torch did nothing else, it at least improved those two issues, while the 9700 did not. But I soon found out the Torch is so much more than just a bigger screen. Now I can't seem to put the damn thing down because I just love it. I do more with this phone than with any other phone I've owned, including the old Palm Treo 650, which at times I thought was permanently affixed to my hand.

As many have already said, to each his own. If the OP is happier with the 9700, then I guess it's a darn good thing BB decided to make it for him! Cool post, bro.
    09-30-10 09:36 PM
    I don't think I could go back to the smaller screen.

09-30-10 09:55 PM
    I don't think I could go back to the smaller screen.

I'm debating this very thing. As much as I would love the bigger screen in principle, because I don't use the device that often for browsing, movies etc, I just don't think I would use it to its potential i.e. I use the device mostly for communicating not media.

I like the 9800 because is seems like a fun phone for sure but for the following reasons I'm leaning to the 9780:
    1. my lack of media use,
    2. having to extend the slider (I know it isn't a big deal just more of a pain),
    3. lack of resolution on fonts and text,
    4. lack of any objective reason to use a touchscreen when a physical kb is present.

The crispness and clarity of the 9700 screen is impressive which is great for emails, texts etc where clarity of fonts is more important. To me that seems paramount compared to the larger size and lower resolution of the 9800 although admittedly the 9700/9780 screen is almost too small for long-ish emails.

I may kick myself when I'm stuck somewhere wanting to watch a movie or surf but for me that is so infrequent as compared to the other benefits of the 9780 form factor that I would be experiencing daily.
    10-01-10 01:48 AM
    Well, I returned my Torch after 5 days of hemming and hawing... But instead of going back to my 9700, I'm actually using my 9000 since I lent my 9700 to a friend.

Can't say I'm pleased to return to using a trackball or the limited memory, but OH MY GOD is the keyboard ever nice to type on. Blimey, I would kill for that keyboard on the 9700. I hope one of these days RIM releases the rumoured 'Dakota' or 'Bold 9900' which was rumoured to use the 9000 format.

And for me, the reasons I returned the Torch:

1) build quality didn't cut it for me... too much wiggle. Even with the screen closed, it would 'spring' every time you touched it.

2) touchscreen sensitivity... too many times I try and touch a link and it didn't work (say third of the time).

3) touchscreen sensitivity... on the other end of the spectrum, every time I picked up the phone, I would have touched some icon and started something I didn't want... Ended up buying PatternLock which sort of solved the problem... I think the issue is that almost every area of the touchscreen is associated with a command, instead of having some 'dead' areas on the screen to reduce likelihood of touching something.

4) Third party app support... Seems like they need more time to update their apps. BerryReader was one that I used a lot which isn't functional on the Torch (well, it works but is really buggy). I ended up using the google web site reader since you got the same functionality as on an iPod/iPhone but because of the problems not having the links work when you touch them, it too was a pain. Google Maps isn't as good on the Torch since you lose the cursor/pointer so you have no fine control over your selections.

There are other minor quibbles, and admittedly a lot of positives that I'll miss (a lot of OS 6 is sweet... screen size for sure I'll miss...).

Maybe I'll try it again in the new year. Hardware issues will probably be fixed by then and hopefully some new functionality/better third part app support. Till then I guess I'll be with the rest of the folks awaiting OS 6 on their 9700's.

(The fact that I was paying for the phone outright which meant $680 including taxes almost made we think that if I didn't 'love' this phone, I may as well wait for the next version).
    10-04-10 06:19 PM
    bull****. all these excuses. if u had the money why wouldnt u want a better phone.
    the phone's feature is too complex? dont use it. problem solved. its like saying i have a 2005 M3 but im gonna turn down a 2011 M3 because its too fast and superior for me.
    if u have the money to blow, no one would turn it down.
    everyone is greedy. econ 101 !!!!
    in the end it all comes down to if u can afford it without looking back.
    10-04-10 07:01 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD