My Torch runs with 211MB of available app memory.
    My 9780 runs with 195MB of available app memory.
    They are literally a carbon copy of each other. Same apps, same options, same everything. Can anyone explain?
    I'm sorry, I've asked the same question before and got irrelevant answers, like-- "shrink your OS" (I don't mean any disrespect to anyone )

I don't have an issue with how much available mem I have.... Just wonder why the diff.

I would think the operating system itself would be smaller for the 9780 cause of the non-touchscreen setup... less to control.

Thanks
    02-02-11 11:55 AM
    Easy answer! The apps are not the same size. The Torch apps in many cases have extra code to utilize the touchscreen where the 9780 has no need for such code. I bet if you looked at the app sizes you will find the difference and this is why outside of app versions.

On top of that the loads are of different sizes as well for similar reasons. I would expect though the Torch to have less than the 9780. Try running a memory booster to recover space. Do this on both ans see what is left after that.
    02-03-11 12:06 AM
    My Torch has 308mb of app space... how you like me now ?
    02-03-11 02:20 PM
    ^^ I think Shansmi's answer makes the most sence.
    ^ I have 309.8Mb free App space :P (about 15 apps installed)
    02-03-11 02:25 PM
    It's because the torch rules and the 9780 doesn't, haha

nah it's true that it look funny but it could be just that you have more language installed in your 9780 than the torch one.

If you want more space yes the best answer is shrink your os, what it does it remove unused item (that you don't want) like every language (like chinese ? I don't read chinese, don't need that) so you can have a OS that take way less space, BBHP 6.1 on .450 OS, I have 325meg of free space.
    02-03-11 02:25 PM
    ^^ I think Shansmi's answer makes the most sence.
    ^ I have 309.8Mb free :P (about 15 apps installed)
    I dont think it make sense because he said the torch need more space for the touch screen, but the OPs said it use less space than the 9780, in other word so everyone understand, he said that the torch phone use less space for the same OS as the 9780, which doesn't make sense at all
    02-03-11 02:26 PM
    ^ you're right...I had it the other way around...in my head. Hmmmm
    Torch apps should use more space.
    02-03-11 02:28 PM
    Could the OS 6 apps on the 9780 require more code since it is not a touchscreen?
    02-03-11 02:30 PM
    They could. Depends on the app and its original intent. Whatever the OP is doing, something is not adding up since bare bones there should be about 310MB left with just the OS (English only).

Oh and my explanation does not include app cache either. BB Maps for example saves map files... I am sure many other apps do something similar.

Oh and just because I expect it, does not mean I am right. RIMs strategy behind the scenes could be completely different.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-03-11 03:39 PM
    BB maps does save maps file but not in the RAM, which is what you can see in your free space, the RAM only have the apps or any other variable that doesn't need to be store. The cache should be in the internal memory of your phone (which is 4gb)
    02-03-11 04:39 PM
    Available memory is not RAM (depending on what app you are using usually you cannot see RAM), it is app space. Not storage - app space.

256MB of RAM (I think), 512MB of app space and 4GB of internal storage plus whatever SD card you add.
    02-03-11 06:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD