Hello all,

This is my first post. I am completely new to Blackberry and I am looking at getting the Torch or the bold. I'm looking at getting an unlocked phone as well and I'm with Rogers. I think that all I need to do is take my sim card and put it in my new phone right? I don't think I need to even let Rogers know.

Also, do I need to get a data plan? I'm thinking I can get by with the wi-fi. I am at work most of the day where I can get wi-fi and then I just go home where I can get it.

Thanks in advance...

Jay
    10-30-10 10:46 AM
    For voice only changing SIM cards will work. To do email, FB etc (data over cell or wifi), you need a BB data plan.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-30-10 11:51 AM
    If you do not get a data plan, it will not let you even connext to wifi, or at least that is the case with the 9700. When I got my torch I gave my brother in law my old 9700 and he is unable to get wifi as he has no bis linked to the phone

Other than that, yes, you can juat pop your sim in. You won't, however, get wifi or any bb services such as fb, bbm, etc.

10-30-10 11:58 AM
    To be honest with you, it is a big waste of money to get a BOLD or a Torch with no BlackBerry Internet plan as you will be missing out on 2 of the best features of a BlackBerry, the BlackBerry messenger, and the push email (push email means that the email is delivered to your BlackBerry almost as soon as it arrives at your inbox).

Furthermore, GPS navigation won't work also.......why would you want such a sophisticated device when you won't make benefit of the features.

I advice you to actually get a BlackBerry but also uprade your plan to include the BlackBerry internet, it's worth every penny and youll be hooked for life
    10-30-10 12:04 PM
    Basic data will work over Wifi, but a lot of apps that use data won't work because they require BIS/BES service to operate. No email either.

I'd recommend at minimum getting a social messaging plan which will give you unlimited email/bbm/fb/wlm, etc..
    10-30-10 03:55 PM
    I guess you are familiar with his carrier? We don't offer those plans... Data is data.

10-30-10 10:35 PM
    I guess you are familiar with his carrier? We don't offer those plans... Data is data.

Both shadyone33 and TLS2000 are on Rogers. Canadian carriers offer both social networking plans and regular BlackBerry data plans. The social networking plans have made the BlackBerry the smartphone platform of choice for teenagers and young adults here in Canada.
    10-31-10 10:24 AM
    Cool...

10-31-10 10:34 AM
    Rogers have some newer Blackberry Pay As You Go plans that may interest you.
    http://www.rogers.com/web/content/wi...s?tab5_content
    10-31-10 10:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD