The 9800 screen resolution is horrible for reading web pages without expanding the fonts i.e. blurry text. The problem with that is then you have to continually move the screen side to side to read a page.

Is there any method to fix this miserable lack of font clarity?
    10-08-10 02:46 PM
    Have you tried double tapping the text you wish to read so that it gets rendered in column view?
    10-08-10 02:47 PM
    ^^ Double tap auto zooms in and auto word wraps and auto re-renders the fonts for you...

It's incredibly easy.
    10-08-10 02:49 PM
    i think u should watch the setup videos first before ranting
    10-08-10 02:52 PM
    Pinch zoom for images, double tap/trackpad zoom for text.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-08-10 03:08 PM
    Thanks guys. I've done the taps and watched several vids before which help for sure but compared to the 9700 screen, the 9800 is poor even for the system fonts, emails etc. Sure, you can zoom but then you're left scolling back and forth on a page of text. I didn't realize it was really this poor of resolution...I guess I'll get used to it...or return it and wait for the 9780.
    10-08-10 08:30 PM
    Huh? If you double tap the text you don't have to pan....
    10-08-10 08:40 PM
    Torch resolution is obviously not the greatest. One of my main beefs were my PDFs. Those were just terrible on the Torch. I get many emails each day with PDFs for invoices etc. I honestly stopped usig the Torch as email at one point even before I sold it simply because I couldn't read my PDFs clearly
    10-08-10 10:01 PM
    Torch resolution is obviously not the greatest. One of my main beefs were my PDFs. Those were just terrible on the Torch. I get many emails each day with PDFs for invoices etc. I honestly stopped usig the Torch as email at one point even before I sold it simply because I couldn't read my PDFs clearly
    yes, they really look bad too. What did you migrate to?

Does droid render pdf, emails etc any better?

I stayed with BB for superior communication features vs droid/4gs but honestly, this screen really is bad if you have to spend a lot of time writing and reading text. I'll give it some more time and likely I will adjust to the poor quality over time but wow, I really am shocked how RIM would let this product out the door compared to the beautiful 9700 screen.
    10-08-10 10:22 PM
    Yes my 9700 had pretty clear PDFs. I like the touch screens more now so I jumped over to iPhone 4.
    10-08-10 10:27 PM
    yes, they really look bad too. What did you migrate to?

Does droid render pdf, emails etc any better?

I stayed with BB for superior communication features vs droid/4gs but honestly, this screen really is bad if you have to spend a lot of time writing and reading text. I'll give it some more time and likely I will adjust to the poor quality over time but wow, I really am shocked how RIM would let this product out the door compared to the beautiful 9700 screen.
    Not trying to be a wiseazz here, but if you spend that much time reading and updating full docs remotely, maybe you really need a net book, small laptop, or, dare I say, a PlayBook when it comes out???? I know if I had to do that regularly, I sure as heck wouldn't want to be doing it on that small a screen, no matter what kind of resolution it has (it's bad enough that I need glasses to read anything on a full wide-screen monitor!).

The Torch's screen is actually the same resolution as the 9700's, except it's spread out over more real estate. I would think that docs would be easier to read, although I admit I've never tried to read any on either device.
    10-08-10 11:17 PM
    Double tap, stop pinching text

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-09-10 12:20 AM
    Odd. When I zoom in the fonts are clear as can be, even with PDF files. I frequently receive cad files converted to PDF via email. They are large cad prints. I can read them OK on the torch but I really need a large screen to be able to see everything and read them correctly. But it has nothing to do with the clarity when I zoom in... I just need a larger screen so I can look at the entire print at once. The screen resolution is not an issue for me at all; it looks GREAT.
    10-09-10 12:53 AM
    Not trying to be a wiseazz here, but if you spend that much time reading and updating full docs remotely, maybe you really need a net book, small laptop, or, dare I say, a PlayBook when it comes out???? I know if I had to do that regularly, I sure as heck wouldn't want to be doing it on that small a screen, no matter what kind of resolution it has (it's bad enough that I need glasses to read anything on a full wide-screen monitor!).

The Torch's screen is actually the same resolution as the 9700's, except it's spread out over more real estate. I would think that docs would be easier to read, although I admit I've never tried to read any on either device.
    I'm actually tired of carrying a laptop and have become accustomed to editing docs off of the little 9700 screen if you can believe it. The real estate isn't great on the 9800 for reading but the clarity isn't in the same league as the 9700 even though it is the same res. I didn't think it was that bad when I tested it out in the store but now I'm really noticing it.

As I mentioned I'm thinking of a droid/iphone but then they appear to have a plethora of other less than satisfying issues from a communication perspective. I've looked at the Captivate screen and it is amazingly crisp although it hasn't been released in Canada yet so I haven't spent that much time with it.

The 9800 has a lot of other great attributes which, I think, outweigh this screen issue. BTW there is actually less real estate when editing docs/emails in landscape mode than the 9700 because the keyboard takes up so much space. I think I counted something like 8 less lines of text with the 9800 as compared to the 9700...obviously the reverse is true when reading only.

The only other thing I don't like about the phone is the "wiggle" which awakened my OCD.
    10-09-10 01:31 AM
    Odd. When I zoom in the fonts are clear as can be, even with PDF files. I frequently receive cad files converted to PDF via email. They are large cad prints. I can read them OK on the torch but I really need a large screen to be able to see everything and read them correctly. But it has nothing to do with the clarity when I zoom in... I just need a larger screen so I can look at the entire print at once. The screen resolution is not an issue for me at all; it looks GREAT.
    "Great" resolution is a relative term. You're not suggesting it is great compared to the iphone/android...or even the 9700 are you?
    10-09-10 01:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD