I am very impressed with the Torch coming from the 9700. Sure there are some odds and ends that can be polished. I am honestly always using the phone so much. I hardly ever put it down. I am new to the Blackberry scene and really enjoy the Torch
    08-18-10 08:13 PM
    I think the Torch is a great device. Love the way it works. It ain't perfect. But what is. Love the dual physical and screen keyboard approach.

Would have iked:
    1. Faster processor.
    2. Better screen

But hey, all those complaining about the screen, it is the same res as the now old iphone 3gs (which the majority of iphoners still carry around). So, is it a showstopper -- no. Disappointment --- yes.

But, ****, I will just get the Torch 2 when it comes out.
    08-18-10 08:22 PM
    I was really digging it but the longer I have it, the more I want to take it back. The OS bugs are expected but frustrating, I've been thru it with 4.2, 4.5, 4.6 & 5.0 and this just grates knowing it will be leak after leak breaking, fixing, breaking. We know the drill.

On top of that, I have creaky buttons, wobbly screen, device lag, unimpressive web browsing and BIS dropouts. I was mostly cool with the screen and cpu but now with lag and seeing a difference in crispness to my old bold9k it's starting to factor in.

I thought the extra memory would be the big difference, but then I see there are few working apps, no themes and my slingplayer does not work, kinda makes the extra memory pointless. I'm leaning to taking it back and seeing what comes in the next few months from other manufacturers. Dont get me wrong, I'm a blackberry guy, I have a pearl, curve, storm and bold all unlocked and well used but this one is getting old way too quick. I think RIM just has me worn out testing their stuff.

I felt the Bold earned its name and was soild all round, can't say that for the Torch.
    Last edited by techjunkieforlife; 08-18-10 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Typo
    08-18-10 08:33 PM
    Hmm, sorry to hear your having that many hardware issues. Guess I got lucky with mine, feels great. The apps and themes will come. New device new OS, gotta be patient.
    08-18-10 08:56 PM
    ^^^I've got too much going on outside of using phones to be patient beta testing RIM's phones for them. I just want my toys to work, and if they don't, they get canned.

I love Blackberries and will definitely be back when RIM can do simple things like maintain a bluetooth media stream without making me want to throw the phone out the window of my car. Like the statement above, I am too busy and too demanding to test people's junk for them. Don't release it until it works is my motto. From an engineer back to RIM, come on guys, stop feeding the Apple idiots with this fodder. Get it right or don't bring it to the table.
    08-18-10 09:08 PM
    You need to be careful with comments like these. I can certainly do some functions on my Captivate that I couldn't on any blackberry i have used in the passed (includeing the Torch I had for a short time). Most specifically I am thinking about certain E-Mail functions. So yes the BB does what it does well, but to assume the others are simply toys is very short sighted and rather foolish.
    Not simply toys.... get real. BUT... look around. When you see people with iphones what are they doing? They are comparing barcode scanner apps, downloading angry birds, playing their movies.... Yes, it does email and calendaring but let's get real. You want one of those so you can do the fun stuff. how fun is it to file email on an iphone or android? I can tell you from experience it is not fun at all.
    08-19-10 08:44 PM
    If you had any sort of intelligence you would know that the way the device is used depends on the user. BBs come stock with games, the majority of Android devices and the iPhone do not. I can do a lot of things faster on an iPhone and Android device than I could on a BB.

Any device can be turned into a toy.
    Don't be so literal. See my last reply. other than render a webpage what can you do a lot faster? Create a calendar event? No. type and email? probably not. Locate your GPS location? Okay you have me there but does anyone REALLY use that? Maybe occasionaly at best....

btw... I am a mensa.
    08-19-10 08:47 PM
    Is it impossible to fathom that people may want these devices for purposes other then to constantly play games as you apparently think?

Ive seen teenagers running around with BlackBerrys because they had a keyboard and could text their friends faster, but you dont see me knocking its other capabilities.

Just because the iPhone and Android devices can play games doesnt mean you have to, nor does it mean they cant function as a phone.
    Go look around and get back to me on that one.
    08-19-10 08:47 PM
    arguing that a phone has too many functions or uses is maybe the stupidest thing i have ever read. you can't not like a device because it does a bunch of stuff yours doesn't. anyone saying 'pfft that thing is a toy' should really wake up, because your beloved blackberry isn't much more than nostalgia at this point.

all the new models sport the same old processor, screen, java os as models 2 years ago. sound familiar? basically what you're purchasing is a lack of willingness to learn something new/easier. at $199 it's rather silly to try to compare the torch to an iphone or android, because in that comparison, the torch is a toy. android and iphone do every single thing bb6 does and tons more. so which is really the toy?
    08-19-10 08:50 PM
    arguing that a phone has too many functions or uses is maybe the stupidest thing i have ever read. you can't not like a device because it does a bunch of stuff yours doesn't. anyone saying 'pfft that thing is a toy' should really wake up, because your beloved blackberry isn't much more than nostalgia at this point.

all the new models sport the same old processor, screen, java os as models 2 years ago. sound familiar? basically what you're purchasing is a lack of willingness to learn something new/easier. at $199 it's rather silly to try to compare the torch to an iphone or android, because in that comparison, the torch is a toy. android and iphone do every single thing bb6 does and tons more. so which is really the toy?
    This forum is just a bit too sensitive. My comment was NOTHING more than telling the BB users who are ******** about the lack of features and performance on their phone to get a grip and quit comparing it to the other more powerful phones. I am in technology. I understand this. I have had three iphones and three bolds prior to my torch. I get it. I don't need the goodies. My comment was nothing more than telling others that they made a choice. I guess next time I will h-av-e t-o s-p-e-l-l it o-u-t.
    08-19-10 08:59 PM

No they don't. Heck an iphone doesn't even have a notification light. Oh Automatic Fail...as some of the clowns like to say. Each have their strengths and weaknesses. I don't know why people are trying to convince others. Just trying to justify their purchase I guess. This whole ******** about the Torch is tired. Don't like it fine. Poof be gone and go support your device forum. Its not like your going to convince us to sell our Torchs sheesh let it resr
    08-19-10 09:15 PM
    at $199 it's rather silly to try to compare the torch to an iphone or android, because in that comparison, the torch is a toy. android and iphone do every single thing bb6 does and tons more. so which is really the toy?
    Droids have crappy battery life, larger form factors, and no or unacceptable physical keyboards.

iPhones are shackled to iTunes, have no keyboard, and are vastly inferior with regards to customizable notifications.

Sorry but no phone is perfect. Just because the hardware on the Torch is inferior to the latest Droids and iPhone doesn't mean there aren't still significant advantages.
    08-19-10 09:20 PM
    Also - to anyone experiencing LAG of any sort - I highly recommend either wiping and re-installing .141 or trying out .161 if you can handle the minor bugs it has in exchange for the fixes.

Sometimes doing a wipe and a fresh install can make all the difference.

Out of my box my Torch was decent but a little laggy - I noticed 3 minute reboot times and 1-2 second hangups every now and then (no hourglass, just frozen).

After wiping and installing .161 that is all gone. Reboot is 90 seconds. Haven't had a hangup (except for the .161 notification bug).
    08-19-10 09:22 PM
    These forums are starting to make OU/Texas look like church camp.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-19-10 09:22 PM
    No they don't. Heck an iphone doesn't even have a notification light. Oh Automatic Fail...as some of the clowns like to say. Each have their strengths and weaknesses. I don't know why people are trying to convince others. Just trying to justify their purchase I guess. This whole ******** about the Torch is tired. Don't like it fine. Poof be gone and go support your device forum. Its not like your going to convince us to sell our Torchs sheesh let it resr
    you're right, i don't like the torch, i also however, do not like the iphone. where you're wrong is i have just as much right to voice my dislike of it as you to voice your liking. you see i actually do own a torch, as well as most other current smartphone models. my point is that for 200 bucks people should demand more out of rim, by constantly being like 'well ok it's the same phone as 2 years ago, but ok i'll drink the kool aid again' you're giving RIM no reason to ever change.

this all has happened to nokia and palm already. model after model failed. it's just the start for RIM. so i would recommend you grow up and stop taking a stance that only a pro vote gets a voice. it's childish and immature. unless i'm making personal attacks at you, which i'm not, i can type about whatever i want to in regards to a blackberry device that i own. the topic of this thread is 'anyone not happy with the bb torch like they thought' so i'd probably suggest that YOU are not in the correct spot. i simply demand equal technology for an equal price, otherwise the torch should be about 50 bucks, because thats the price of the 9000 now that they've recycled to build it.
    08-19-10 09:24 PM
    you're right, i don't like the torch, i also however, do not like the iphone. where you're wrong is i have just as much right to voice my dislike of it as you to voice your liking. you see i actually do own a torch, as well as most other current smartphone models. my point is that for 200 bucks people should demand more out of rim, by constantly being like 'well ok it's the same phone as 2 years ago, but ok i'll drink the kool aid again' you're giving RIM no reason to ever change.

this all has happened to nokia and palm already. model after model failed. it's just the start for RIM. so i would recommend you grow up and stop taking a stance that only a pro vote gets a voice. it's childish and immature. unless i'm making personal attacks at you, which i'm not, i can type about whatever i want to in regards to a blackberry device that i own. the topic of this thread is 'anyone not happy with the bb torch like they thought' so i'd probably suggest that YOU are not in the correct spot. i simply demand equal technology for an equal price, otherwise the torch should be about 50 bucks, because thats the price of the 9000 now that they've recycled to build it.
    The Torch is in no way the same RIM product of 2 years ago I won't even begin to go back in forth with you cause that cause you obviously have way more experience in ******** on the Internet than I do so best of luck to you and whatever perfect technological advancement your Internet demanding gets you. 2-3 years ago this site was about the business. Crackberry just isn't what it used to be. Sad really
    08-19-10 09:32 PM
    These forums are starting to make OU/Texas look like church camp.

Hook 'em!!!!!
    08-19-10 09:38 PM
    Hook 'em!!!!!
    Gross.

BOO-MER!

08-19-10 09:40 PM
    The Torch is in no way the same RIM product of 2 years ago I won't even begin to go back in forth with you cause that cause you obviously have way more experience in ******** on the Internet than I do so best of luck to you and whatever perfect technological advancement your Internet demanding gets you. 2-3 years ago this site was about the business. Crackberry just isn't what it used to be. Sad really
    you're right, 2-3 years ago blackberry's had 600mhz cpu's and flawed touchscreens and a java OS with nearly 0 developer support. oh wait, yeah it's still like that, fear not, loyalist.
    Last edited by katiepea; 08-19-10 at 09:46 PM.
    08-19-10 09:42 PM
    you're right, 2-3 years ago blackberry's had 600mhz cpu's and flawed touchscreens and a java OS with nearly 0 developer support. oh wait, yeah it's still like that, fear not, loyalist.
    Loyalist lol. I have had every iPhone, most blackberrys, nokias, All the Androids back to the g1. I like phones period. Fact is, the Torch is a good phone and is getting a bad wrap. No it's not perfect. Yes could have a better processor ( then people would ***** about battery) and yes the screen could be better. Android could have a better music player, better battery management. iPhone could have better notifications and not locked to iTunes. Palm pre could have had better hardware and battery. Nokia n900 could have had better phone functions. Where does it end?
    08-19-10 09:52 PM
    i have a torch and a droid incredible. I've a phone junkie. I like the Torch, it is definetly a great phone. Its actually perfect for a touch screen mixed with all the great stuff a blackberry's are known for.
    08-19-10 09:57 PM
    Loyalist lol. I have had every iPhone, most blackberrys, nokias, All the Androids back to the g1. I like phones period. Fact is, the Torch is a good phone and is getting a bad wrap. No it's not perfect. Yes could have a better processor ( then people would ***** about battery) and yes the screen could be better. Android could have a better music player, better battery management. iPhone could have better notifications and not locked to iTunes. Palm pre could have had better hardware and battery. Nokia n900 could have had better phone functions. Where does it end?
    Well said.
    08-19-10 10:06 PM
    With all these arguments here I have a really good solution for you. Get rid of your blackberry, get an iphone/android, whatever and then quit coming to the BB forums.
    08-19-10 11:18 PM
    i agree on all of those points actually, but for the billionth time now, this isn't about experience as to what has what. this is about the fact that rim is charging the same amount of money as google, htc, apple, samsung, for a far inferior version of hardware. i would understand if data plans for bb were cheaper or if the phone was under 100 bucks. but it's not, it's priced up there with the big boys, so comparisons are very fair. it ends when they price it in the league it should be priced in.
    08-19-10 11:23 PM
    I got mine on the first day and I love it. The wireless sync is the best. True its a little heavy but overall it's a great phone. The only thing that I miss from my 9000 or 9700 is Pandora.
    08-19-10 11:23 PM
138 ... 23456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD