I played with the torch today. I was pretty disappointed with it. I personally hate touch screen keyboards with physical keyboards. I would MAYBE consider it if it wasn't a slider and didn't have the physical keyboard. I love my 9700 and definitely won't get the torch. :/

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

If it wasn't a slider and didn't have the physical keyboard It would be called the Storm 3!

08-17-10 08:16 PM
    Lol good try. If you have a photobucket account(which will enable you to post pics to any forumn now or in the future) you can post them there and on the site they give you links that you copy and past into the text of you comment and they show up as pics without having to have people follow links to see them. Or you can try using the paper clip at the top of the text box when you are typing a reply.
    Btw I tried out a torch in the AT&T store the other day and thought it was real nice. The touchscreen felt much better than the Droid Inc I played with at another store, almost on par with the Iphone 4's screen. I thought it was great, the concept of a full touchscreen and a physical BB style keyboard are what I was dreaming of. If they would have used the screen realestate to its fullest potential instead of having thick borders around would have been much nicer. Now just bring it to Vz so I can get one.
    08-17-10 08:17 PM
    lol i did it lol
    Yeeeaaahhh! Nice!
    08-17-10 08:25 PM
    Got my Torch on the Friday the 13th and so far NO major issues yet. Totally happy with mine. I have a bit of the "wiggle" and a very small amount of lag if I have a lot of stuff going on but neither stops me from using the phone. Battery life has been great and so far only one battery pull since I got it on Friday. Ringer volume could be louder.

Overall it would seem I got one of the good ones. If not, I have 30 days to return or swap it, one year warranty, and insurance. I'm covered.

Honestly, I'm getting tired of all the haters. If you love your iP4 great enjoy it. I personally won't own one as I actually like my calls to stay connected. Droid, go ahead and love it. I think it feels like a plastic toy. To each his / her own. I Like the Captivate but I would like to actually use GPS. Plus no physical keyboard is the deal killer for me with the iP4 and Captivate. Sorry but I don't care for touch keyboards for anything longer than a "k" response to a text.

Hmm... someone said the Android OS is the wave of the future for phones. That may be so but the big news at the annual Defcon conference this year was all the buzz about hackers exploiting a vulnerability in the Android OS where a hacker can dump in a root-kit tool and gain access to victim�s email and text messages, without a clue to the user that anything is actually happening. Man, that's real nice. I'm sure they will patch up the hole real quick.

My point is that everyone likes what they like and there's no harm in that. The harm comes when you start to bang on someone else because they like what they like.

Every smartphone regardless of what brand or OS has issues. If they are too bad, you move on. If not, you wait for the next patch.

Now..... can we all enjoy our phones (regardless of brand) and have fun?
    08-18-10 12:23 AM
    I love my Torch. I have no complaints with the device itself.
    My only complaint is that my Desktop Manager shows my calendar "Not Installed" and is not synchronizing.
    08-18-10 06:57 AM
    If it wasn't a slider and didn't have the physical keyboard It would be called the Storm 3!

LOL, exactly what I was thinking. I have the Storm (1) still and due for an upgrade, played with a friends Storm (2) and it was too similar and didn't feel like an upgrade. Tried out the Torch to see if I would like it but it felt exactly like the Storm with some internal upgrades and prettier OS.

Welcome to 2009 Blackberry, sadly the rest of us are now living in 2010.
    08-18-10 07:09 AM
    LOL, exactly what I was thinking. I have the Storm (1) still and due for an upgrade, played with a friends Storm (2) and it was too similar and didn't feel like an upgrade. Tried out the Torch to see if I would like it but it felt exactly like the Storm with some internal upgrades and prettier OS.

Welcome to 2009 Blackberry, sadly the rest of us are now living in 2010.
    Maybe you looking for a bit much from RIM, remember who were their first target market and what kinda devices they started with. Comparing the advances RIM is making to other companies isn't really a fair one, RIM has made leaps and bounds in advances on their devices while maintaining the same security, quality messaging and emailing, and device integration (in my most humble opinion anyway).

They never professed to be the most technologically advanced company... truth is, I'm content with the experimenting that they are doing. My only reminder to them is that their followers expect proper build quality, skimping on that is what will cause them to fall.
    08-18-10 07:31 AM
    Wow I'm surprised at his comment............I'm amazed at the speed. Having switched from an iPhone (back to a berry, the Torch) which I had recently updated with the latest iPhone software, I am very happy. Talk about slow!.......check out an iPhone 3G that has been upgraded to the latest software update....now thats slow!!!
    08-18-10 07:36 AM
    I'm still getting the BB Torch even after reading all these complaints.

Why?

Try talking to me about lag using an 8330 running OS 5
    08-18-10 07:39 AM
    I'm still getting the BB Torch even after reading all these complaints.

Why?

Try talking to me about lag using an 8330 running OS 5
    ROFL
    small expectations make large appreciations m'man! enjoy your Torch!
    08-18-10 07:42 AM
    Hate is the greatest form of flattery, when the accuser isn't content with their own.

08-18-10 09:58 AM
    Congrats on getting your pic uploaded!!

(and to the guy who claimed without pics he wouldn't believe you had those phones...what do you have to say in your defense for your rude claim that ratchetjaw didn't own those phones?)
    08-18-10 11:42 AM
    Congrats on getting your pic uploaded!!

(and to the guy who claimed without pics he wouldn't believe you had those phones...what do you have to say in your defense for your rude claim that ratchetjaw didn't own those phones?)
    Thanks after the first 4 times it wasnt about proving to myself i could do it lol
    08-18-10 11:47 AM
    I will agree with you guys, it is a GREAT theory and the phone has a lot of potential BUT it also leaves a lot more to be desired. I am going to stick with it though. It is an improvement from my 9000 and I can live with the minor flaws it has and hope an OS upgrade in the near future will fix most of them as it has with most other phones. I just hope this isn't like my 9000 where ATT didn't support the 5.0 and I had to find it myself...but hey, that is why we all love Crackberry right!
    08-18-10 12:50 PM
    I've had mine since Thursday. Haven't had any problems. There has been no issues with lag or getting into programs (except the ones that don't work with torch yet) so overall it's a great phone.
    08-18-10 01:34 PM
    Just picked mine up this morning. Having an 8310, a 9000, and a 3G iphone, this definately takes the win. Great screen, hard keyboard, tons of options to customize (which I love messing with), and I'm excited for the new browser.

My ONE complaint? The keyboard lock on top sucks. Too soft and touchy. So I just set my RHConvience to password lock. Boom. Done. Win.

Suck on that, iPhone! You damn kids toy!! Haha

08-18-10 02:55 PM
    Pretty sure a couple software updates down the road and rim will fix whatever problems anyone has with it.
    08-18-10 03:02 PM
    I will agree with you guys, it is a GREAT theory and the phone has a lot of potential BUT it also leaves a lot more to be desired. I am going to stick with it though. It is an improvement from my 9000 and I can live with the minor flaws it has and hope an OS upgrade in the near future will fix most of them as it has with most other phones. I just hope this isn't like my 9000 where ATT didn't support the 5.0 and I had to find it myself...but hey, that is why we all love Crackberry right!
    This was actually one the reason I went a different route. I have and love my BB9000 but the more I thought about it and used the device I really felt like the torch was going to be a repeat of the Bold 9000, and the Storm. I have a feeling the platform will get a fairly quick refresh like the Storm 2 did and, I have a feeling that ATT will only somewhat support it and there will be allot of tech that never gets released to original torch owners from ATT.

I have the Captivate now and so far am loving it. It really is a great phone, and this is really all about whatever floats your boat. I can see how the torch will work for some. I suspect there is allot of fanboism for it though to. I got caught up in that myself. I have some buddies with EVO's that are amazed have a captivate after trying the torch out.

The big thing for me, and i have said this before to others on these forums. We can't keep devices with expectations of things changeing down the road the way we want them. We have to be satisfied with the device we have now and anything down the road is like iceing on the cake. Basically if you buy something now with some expection of how it will work in 3-6 months you are just setting yourself up for dissappointment no matter what platform or phone it is.
    08-18-10 03:53 PM
    I enjoy mine and have no issues other than the tinny sound when I speak. I loved my Bold 9000 and loved my iPhone but at the end of the day the iPhone just doesn't get me where I want to be from a productivity standpoint. the iphone calendar is cumbersome and I cannot file email on the iphone with the ease I do on my Torch or any other BB for that matter. I do however find myself NOT using the touch screen so I think I will jump to the 9780 when it comes out. Remember.. this is NOT an iPhone or and Android. those are toys. this is a business tool.
    08-18-10 04:05 PM
    Remember.. this is NOT an iPhone or and Android. those are toys. this is a business tool.
    You need to be careful with comments like these. I can certainly do some functions on my Captivate that I couldn't on any blackberry i have used in the passed (includeing the Torch I had for a short time). Most specifically I am thinking about certain E-Mail functions. So yes the BB does what it does well, but to assume the others are simply toys is very short sighted and rather foolish.
    08-18-10 04:12 PM
    this is NOT an iPhone or and Android. those are toys. this is a business tool.
    If you had any sort of intelligence you would know that the way the device is used depends on the user. BBs come stock with games, the majority of Android devices and the iPhone do not. I can do a lot of things faster on an iPhone and Android device than I could on a BB.

Any device can be turned into a toy.
    08-18-10 04:14 PM
    Remember.. this is NOT an iPhone or and Android. those are toys. this is a business tool.
    Is it impossible to fathom that people may want these devices for purposes other then to constantly play games as you apparently think?

Ive seen teenagers running around with BlackBerrys because they had a keyboard and could text their friends faster, but you dont see me knocking its other capabilities.

Just because the iPhone and Android devices can play games doesnt mean you have to, nor does it mean they cant function as a phone.
    08-18-10 04:44 PM
    If Paris Hilton and Miley Cyrus can use a Blackberry, you pretty much know it doesn't take a genius to run one. You won't see those types with a Droid X though. Too much technology for those small brains to handle.
    08-18-10 04:57 PM
    Hi all, I don't have the new Torch but am very interested in it. All of us that are experienced smart phone users know, there are always some issues with new devices. RIM, Apple, Droid, all of them. I currently use a Bold 9700 and Love it, great phone. But I also believe the 9800 has the opportunity to be the device RIM intended it to be. It may take a few updates, but it will get there. So no matter what your device of choice is, enjoy it. Just my opinion...(not worth much, but it is what it is)
    08-18-10 06:14 PM
    Love the idea of the 9800, but like any new line of phones, especially with a new OS it will have bugs, period! So I am waiting it out for hopefully a Torch 2 and bug fixes...then it may be as flawless as my 9700 has been...that and I may have money to get one, lol!

08-18-10 06:43 PM
138 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD