I got my Torch off of Craigslist and it has light leakage around the menu & call button that kind of bugs me. Is there any way that I can get a replacement?
    09-20-10 10:22 PM
    take it to your local ATT Customer support repair center and they will replace it for you. I've done it with a blackberry I bought off of craiglist. As long as its within the 1 year of the day it was purchased.
    09-20-10 10:24 PM
    I donno if they will replace it for that reason. Just say the speaker went on it.
    09-20-10 10:27 PM
    I donno if they will replace it for that reason. Just say the speaker went on it.
    oh there's also dust under the screen and the slider is a bit wobbly. I brought it to a corporate store and if I had bought it there they would have replaced it in a moment.

The repair center doesn't support the Torch yet

but when they do... do they ask you where you originally purchased the device?
    Last edited by joshwithachance; 09-20-10 at 11:16 PM.
    09-20-10 11:01 PM
    I got my Torch off of Craigslist and it has light leakage around the menu & call button that kind of bugs me. Is there any way that I can get a replacement?
    As long as its 30days after the device was originally purchased you can either take it to a AT&T Device Support Center (if you have one) or call the AT&T Warranty/Device Support number.

All device warranties are tracked through the IMEI number. They probably won't like your reason(s) for making a warranty claiming - stick your finger nail under the call/end call button and pry up until the glue gives a little. These buttons are a known issue so they shouldn't give you any problems. Also to make things a bit smoother make sure you add the 9800's IMEI number to your account prior to making the warranty claim.

I've done the above with a few phones I've bought off CraigsList - its defiantly worth the effort...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-20-10 11:24 PM
    As long as its 30days after the device was originally purchased you can either take it to a AT&T Device Support Center (if you have one) or call the AT&T Warranty/Device Support number.

All device warranties are tracked through the IMEI number. They probably won't like your reason(s) for making a warranty claiming - stick your finger nail under the call/end call button and pry up until the glue gives a little. These buttons are a known issue so they shouldn't give you any problems. Also to make things a bit smoother make sure you add the 9800's IMEI number to your account prior to making the warranty claim.

I've done the above with a few phones I've bought off CraigsList - its defiantly worth the effort...

I bought mine on Amazon was told in no uncertain terms by the AT&T store that no way on earth they will make an exchange unless the device was bought in the company store...even checked with a regional mngr who happened to be on site.
    09-21-10 06:59 AM
    very true wxman,

they usually wont support the return if it was not bought from an ATT store.

like i cant go to best buy and return it to ATT.

All i can say is try your luck, or sell it back on CL, and buy a device from ATT in case you do have issues with it.
    09-21-10 07:02 AM
    I bought mine on Amazon was told in no uncertain terms by the AT&T store that no way on earth they will make an exchange unless the device was bought in the company store...even checked with a regional mngr who happened to be on site.
    There is a BIG difference between the 30day exchange period and your 1 year warranty.

The 30 day remorse/exchange period has to be done at the point of sell - Amazon to Amazon. Best Buy to Best Buy. AT&T to AT&T ect

The 1 year warranty is done through AT&T and doesn't matter who bought the phone originally - its tracked by the devices IMEI number NOT by who bought the phone...

All of the above can be confirmed by calling the AT&T Device Support/Warranty 800 number.

Last edited by lucky45; 09-21-10 at 08:43 AM.
    09-21-10 08:29 AM
    very true wxman,

they usually wont support the return if it was not bought from an ATT store.

like i cant go to best buy and return it to ATT.

All i can say is try your luck, or sell it back on CL, and buy a device from ATT in case you do have issues with it.
    The OP is trying to get a replacement device by doing a warranty claim - as long as the devices IMEI reflects its still with in the 1year warranty period then it doesn't matter where the phone was bought or by whom.

09-21-10 08:40 AM
    COOL BEANS! so when my first 30 days go by I'll go to the repair center, thanks for all the help
    09-21-10 08:55 AM
    If you have the cash, another option would be to buy a new one outright (without a contract) at a Wal-mart. As long as the IMEI number or serial number isn't listed on the receipt, just box up your old phone and bring that one back to Walmart for the refund.
    09-21-10 09:01 AM
    COOL BEANS! so when my first 30 days go by I'll go to the repair center, thanks for all the help
    As stated above, make sure you do a little more damage so they will take a deeper look into it.

they might consider your concerns cosmetic, and say deal with it!

enjoy your Torch!!!
    09-21-10 09:14 AM
    I also just picked up a torch on craigslist today and went to the customer service center to see if I could exchange it for a new one. They told me that its within the 30 days of purchase so I can just get a new one at the store.

My question is, what is a good excuse to be able to get a new one? I do not want to remove the buttons or anything of that sort.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    09-21-10 02:03 PM
    I also just picked up a torch on craigslist today and went to the customer service center to see if I could exchange it for a new one. They told me that its within the 30 days of purchase so I can just get a new one at the store.

My question is, what is a good excuse to be able to get a new one? I do not want to remove the buttons or anything of that sort.

The battery won't hold a charge.

09-21-10 02:10 PM
    If you have to struggle for an excuse does it seem right that you need a replacement?

09-21-10 02:17 PM
    Seriously? Light Leakage? I've never heard such a ridiculous thing... Thats like complaining that water is wet... The entitlement generation for you.
    09-21-10 02:19 PM
    If you have to struggle for an excuse does it seem right that you need a replacement?
    Although I agree with you - he only asked for advice about exchanging his device not for a lesson in morals...

09-21-10 02:32 PM

you CAN'T exchange it at the store. if YOU didn't purchase it there you're screwed and have to wait for the 30 days to be up and do a warranty exchange.
    09-21-10 03:02 PM
    you CAN'T exchange it at the store. if YOU didn't purchase it there you're screwed and have to wait for the 30 days to be up and do a warranty exchange.

The guy at the customer service store told me I can bring it to any ATT store to get it replaced. Just need a valid reason.

If I give them a BS reason about trying to get my phone replaced before the 30 days is up and they give me one, why not do it? doesn't hurt to try.
    09-21-10 03:29 PM
    The guy at the customer service store told me I can bring it to any ATT store to get it replaced. Just need a valid reason.

If I give them a BS reason about trying to get my phone replaced before the 30 days is up and they give me one, why not do it? doesn't hurt to try.
    oh I did. and if they can't record of the device being purchased under your account you CAN'T get a replacement. I already tried. and at TWO stores.
    09-21-10 03:39 PM
    with my Bold 9000, when i first bought it and called AT&T to swap the PIN from my previous BB they asked if i had bought the 9000 from a store outright, i said sure, was able to get it replaced and it was covered by my insurance plan, call AT&T, tell them you went to a store and they said you should get it replaced, if they ask where it was bought, tell them the truth, an AT&T store,
    09-21-10 06:15 PM
    my 9000 came from CL
    09-21-10 06:15 PM
    What is a "warranty exchange"? If I waltz into an ATT store with a true defect after 30 days, will they exchange my Amazon phone for a brand new one?
    09-21-10 06:42 PM

Let us know how you make out on this.
    09-21-10 06:43 PM
    What is a "warranty exchange"? If I waltz into an ATT store with a true defect after 30 days, will they exchange my Amazon phone for a brand new one?
    �AT&T Store(where you buy devices)=NO.

�AT&T Device Support Center or by calling the Device Support 800 number=YES. Most likely the device they give you will be refurbished not brand new.

The PHONE has a 1 year warranty regardless of who originally purchased it. The warranty is tracked by the devices IMEI number not by the person who originally bought it. An AT&T corp store has NOTHING to do with an warranty exchange. You call the 800 number and they'll send you a replacement device and a box to send the broken one back to them. Or if your city has a Device Support Center then you walk in and do the exchange there (not all cities have a Device Support Center)

*Anything contrary to what I said is b*ll****. It would be nice if ppl would stop posting 'advice' to treads they no nothing about.
    Last edited by lucky45; 09-21-10 at 07:18 PM.
    09-21-10 07:01 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD