Att will release an official software update. The 9800 is my first blackberry and I'm not too comfortable trying to throw the leaked software on there even though it's been given great reviews.
    I also understand it's all up to att and that no one may know but maybe a rough estimate?

Thanks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-19-10 07:25 AM
    i understand your concern, because i was the same way.

there's no telling when AT&T will qualify the next OS update, but coming from someone who was very concerned about the leaked OS updates, you should, without any hesitation at all, update to .225.

the phone becomes a completely different animal, and is much, much, much more enjoyable.

you will NOT regret it.
    09-19-10 07:42 AM
    So would I just install dm on my comp then install the os on the computer and let it on my torch? How long do os updates take? And how do I fix it if my torch dies?

09-19-10 07:48 AM
    09-19-10 08:01 AM
    Alright ima give it a shot in an hour or so thanks for the info and links

09-19-10 08:19 AM
    Knowing AT&T, I would expect next year

I'm using .225 here and it's an almost necessary upgrade.
    09-19-10 08:30 AM
    i understand your concern, because i was the same way.

there's no telling when AT&T will qualify the next OS update, but coming from someone who was very concerned about the leaked OS updates, you should, without any hesitation at all, update to .225.

the phone becomes a completely different animal, and is much, much, much more enjoyable.

you will NOT regret it.
    +1....I have to totally agree. The Torch is my 3rd BB with AT&T and I was a skeptic about OS Leaks and until the Torch had strictly stuck with "official AT&T" OS. BUT, I decided to get a lil brave and go for it and Dled .214 leak...my very first and the dl and install was flawless....HOWEVER....like another member here has had, I had issues with touch not being recongnized on the home screen especially and bbm was acting REAL buggy with .214. I was going to downgrade but then decided to give just one more shot at a LEAK. So this being day 2 of .225 and I must say HUGE difference and totally fixed the few HUGE bugs (in my opinion) and running smoothly. I would say give it a shot. You can always downgrade back to stock OS. And please let us know how it goes for you. Always looking for "positive" feedback good or bad.

One other thing...this sounds strange to me not sure what others think....When in .214 I noticed that when using hard keyboard my letters would feel real sensitve and when I hit a letter it would double up ALL the time and like if I hit one space I would get TWO and the period! I really don't know the cause but feel now that I'm using .225 the keys type normal again. I was thinking that the hardkeys could only be affected by hardware issues NOT software, but now am starting to wonder about that. Does anyone else have that issue or has had it and then had it go away? It's almost like the keyboard was super old and they keys were over used....lol. But geez I don't text that often.
    09-19-10 08:59 AM

Haha...have to agree with this....Had my 9700 for 10 months and ONE official upgrade from AT&T. So far liking .225
    09-19-10 09:02 AM
    I think it takes longer to download the leaked software than it does to install it. I believe it took about 20 minutes from start to finish to load .225.
    I've been using BlackBerries since May 2006. The Torch is my seventh Berry. I've been installing leaked OS upgrades since about June '06. If you follow the instructions (and I am bad that that, so, if I can do it, so can you) you will be fine. Your computer will do 99 percent of the work.
    I highly recommend .225. I'm very pleased with it after using it for a week.
    Besides, typically the really good leaks become official and as a general rule, there is virtually no difference between a leaked OS and its official counterpart.
    Don't wait for at&t to release an "official" OS. You'll end up wanting to take the Torch back.
    09-19-10 12:34 PM
    I just loaded .225 in my 2-day-old Torch .. and yes, my pulse rate was up measurably until it was done. But the install worked flawlessly. I haven't really beat it up yet, but the first very noticeable improvements I see are:
    - touch screen swipes feel a little more responsive.
    - you can finally clear the apps out of the Downloads and Frequent pages.

I'm sure there are more, but having only had this for 2 days, nothing else is jumping out at me at the moment, other than having zero problems with anything after the upgrade.

Lots of info and feedback here. About half way down the second page you'll see these very clear instructions:

Uninstall any OLD BlackBerry OS versions from your computer if you have them.

Install .225 to your computer.

Plug in your phone and use Desktop Manager 6.0 (DM) to make a backup of your device.

Close DM and go to:

C:\program files(86)\common files\research in motion\apploader\

From there delete vendor.xml then run loader.exe

Follow the instructions - make sure you look closely at the list of items that have or do not have check marks next to them so you install what you want and don't install what you don't want.

When the popup asks if it should make a backup of your device and restore your 3rd party apps, it should be selected to do it. Do not change it.

Wait about 15-20 minutes for the process to complete and your phone to reboot completely before disconnecting. You will probably get an EntryPoint error at the end - do not worry.

Enjoy and let us know how it went. Always remember it takes several battery pulls while you're getting your phone running again before the OS becomes stable. If it seems slow at first just give it some time to do it's thing and when it seems to have caught up, do another battery pull.

Good luck and feel free to PM me if you have any trouble!
    Right below that, see jeffrei's signature for a link to where you can download .225. (Very helpful guy ... def gotta make it a point to thank him. )

Anyway, bottom line -- at the very least, you're not going to hurt anything by upgrading, but you're sure to see improvements without having to wait until AT&T gets around to officially releasing the latest and greatest.
    09-19-10 01:07 PM
    That's the same thing I thought with my storm 1 running 4.7.0.75. It restarted twice a day and froze all the time. I had the spinning clock come one for 2-3 minutes at a time. I decided to chance an os upgrade and it was pretty easy. Installed dm to the computer and downloaded the leaked os and installed that. I made sure to backup my device and then loaded on the new software. Now I try every OS for my device and glad I do so, as each one gets better and better, with the exception of 5.0.0.140 I believe it was with the camera flaw.

09-19-10 01:08 PM
    My bet is just before Thanksgiving this year. Just a hunch since the Torch will have been out over three months and an OS update seems to follow the second or third leaked version.
    09-19-10 01:16 PM
    It's sitting on the connecting device screen. It's been there for a while is that bad?
    Btw I installed it into the comp disonnected from the internet and went through dm

09-19-10 01:58 PM
    Let it finish and do not disconnect.
    09-19-10 02:04 PM
    Let it finish and do not disconnect.
    Nvm I'm good it went great no error messages did one battery pull. Probably do another one soon. Thanks everyone I'm now able to clear my frequent tab. Just waiting on my att rep to activate my concession line =[

09-19-10 02:16 PM
    Are you on at least .214? Cause that was an official release by RIM. I don't really see that many changes from .214 to .225 aside from the well documented ones like virtual keyboard... performance otherwise is about the same (miles above the phone's software when it came out of the box)
    09-19-10 02:21 PM
    I was one .141

.225 isn't a rim official update ??

09-19-10 02:25 PM
    The leaked OS version should be fine though I have never tried one. It is not "official" from a carrier standpoint therefore the disclaimer.
    Last edited by jcp007; 09-19-10 at 04:37 PM.
    09-19-10 02:36 PM
    My backlight is a bit glitchy sometimes it's super bright other times it's normal. Also quick question. Anyone else experiencing a one second delay between showing four apps or more to hiding it with the arrow present

As in if it's all hidden I bring it up the arrow stays there for a second before changin to all

09-19-10 02:49 PM
    I have seen where people say disconnect from the internet but I never have... is there a certain reason why they ask you to do this?
    09-19-10 02:51 PM
    Ya, I've never had to disconnect from the internet to do an OS upgrade. That's an uneccessary step.

09-19-10 03:42 PM
    Do you mean disconnect the phone from the internet, or the computer? I assume the computer.
    09-19-10 04:33 PM

uhmm yeah, around november 2011.
    09-19-10 04:49 PM
    Computer

09-19-10 05:01 PM
    What do you do if you only have a Mac computer. How can I do the upgrade?
    09-19-10 05:24 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD