I have the Samsung Galaxy S at the moment. Whilst I love Android and the screen (its truly eye popping) I just want more than a days battery life and a physical keyboard. Any Android phone out at the moment lacks both of those things.

I'm not a huge App lover, while I'll play the occasional game (pretty much angry birds or puzzle games) its not a huge issue.

What I mainly do;

• Check my emails
      Browse the web (not fussed about flash, I've probably used it 2/3 times in the 5 months I've had my SGS, as long as it has the ability to display full webpages (not phone optimized ones) I'm happy.
      Social networking ie. Facebook
      Music player ( I do have an MP3 player, just more convienant to use my phone.
      BBM will be really helpful as well as most of my friends seem to have Blackberrys.

I'm thinking it fits the bill well. I'm fed up with having to root and install custom roms just get the most out of a phone.

Thanks for any advice, Ben.

EDIT: Also what emulators (if any) are there for BBOS?
    Last edited by BenF1; 12-29-10 at 08:08 PM.
    12-29-10 07:12 PM
    Well, nothing on the market beats a BlackBerry for emails and general communication, and the Torch does this very well. Im on my 20th or so Berry. I4 is king of media, but the 9800's screen is good, webkit browser and OS6 are very nice improvements. MP3 player is good. as is the camera. If you dont play a lot of games, and as you stated you email a lot, the 9800 fits the bill.
    12-29-10 09:49 PM
    Get the torch you won't regret it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-29-10 10:17 PM
    Blackberry's are the ultimate communications device. No other manufacturer can beat Blackberry when it comes to emails and IM. Since your friends have Blackberry's, it's a no brainer to get one because of BBM. I HIGHLY recommend the Torch.
    12-29-10 10:47 PM
    Yeah, Blackberries are beast with E-mail! You might want to look into the Torch Or even The Bold 9780, both great phones and are great for what you're looking for.
    12-30-10 01:05 AM
    +1 on the Torch. Your needs are close to mine and the 9800 is a real wonder. The 9780 is another fine choice, too.

BB is tough to beat for messaging and general work or social functions. The Torch does take a bit of adaptation but in the end with OS6, keyboard, and touch screen the device is fine indeed.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-30-10 06:57 AM
    So I have a 2 year old Tour (model 1), which has the exact same screen res as the new Torch... that fact by itself is pathetic, but its made worse by the fact that the Torch screen is twice as big, so its effectively HALF the screen quality of my 2 year old Tour!

Have I summed that up correctly, or did I miss something?

So the logical follow up is: when will RIM take their heads out of their collective a** and give the Torch a proper screen worthy of the decade we are living in?
    12-30-10 01:25 PM
    i have a torch and while i love it as a blackberry, it is severely lacking when compared to any of the high end android devices or iphone.

yes blackberry is king when it comes to email. i get in the range of 150-200 a day and it'd drive me nuts trying to be productive using any other device.

however for the other functions that the torch tries to do (ex. web browsing) it is horribly slow compared to the competition. the device lags like no tomorrow if i have more than 3 tabs open.

with that said i still love my torch as it gives me the best of both worlds (good sized touchscreen + full keyboard) and in most cases the performance is acceptable.
    12-30-10 01:39 PM
    Check my emails
    - perfect device for this need

Browse the web (not fussed about flash, I've probably used it 2/3 times in the 5 months I've had my SGS, as long as it has the ability to display full webpages (not phone optimized ones) I'm happy.
    - with OS6 it's OK, but cold be better

Social networking ie. Facebook
    - very good

Music player ( I do have an MP3 player, just more convienant to use my phone.
    - very good

BBM will be really helpful as well as most of my friends seem to have Blackberrys.
    - very good

One more thing: battery life
    - if we compare Torch to other smartphones (i.e. HTC Androids), battery life is very good, but compared to other BB's (like 9700), it's not perfect especially on 3G networks, that's my main problem with the Torch, normally it lasts during the whole day, but if I have a busy and long day sometimes I have to recharge late in the evening, and that's what I hate
    12-30-10 03:36 PM
    Well, when it comes to messaging department and not to mention the messaging integration. nothing beats blackberry, What i can recommend to you is if your on t-mobile check out the 9780 but if your on att, definitely get the torch.
    12-30-10 04:08 PM
    Sprint doesn't get the Torch, right? Is there any word that Sprint will sooner or later?

Whats the next BB that Sprint will get?
    12-30-10 04:26 PM
    Well, I went out and done it! I've bought one! Not through my carrier but sim free. I got a complete bargain and couldn't resist. Brand new for 320! Looking forward to getting it now!

Be prepared for lots of questions when it arrives!
    01-02-11 04:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD