Got my Torch from Rogers yesterday and I had maybe one or two random reboots. At the time I was using the browser. I tried a security wipe and set everything up again from scratch and I was ok almost all day today (9am - 4:30pm). I think I had one random reboot during that time.

Then after 4:30pm all **** broke loose. I was using Trillian and the Blackberry was pretty much rebooting anytime I had Trillian running, locked my BB, put it in my holster and then pulled it out and unlocked it. I figured ok, it's Trillian. I logged into the native I'm apps and had the exact same problem.

So I left nothing running at all and things seemed stable. So I fired up Trillian again and it ran ok for 1 hour in the background with a few holster pulls and unlocks. Then I signed out and closed Trillian for the night and my BB rebooted again.

I'm running .246 and this is a day one launch Torch from Rogers in Canada.

I've tried formatting and removing the mSD that came with the Torch and no luck there.

All I've got left is to try downgrading to a previous OS, replacing my old SIM card and then trying to switch this phone for a new one.

Anyone else have any suggestions? Except for this problem I'm loving the Torch.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-02-10 02:05 AM
    I would suggest replacing the device. To me it sounds like you tried everything possible that would make a difference. :/

10-02-10 02:12 AM
    Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I did some Googling and couldn't find anyone else complaining about this problem except one post. The guy in that case was told to do a security wipe and see if that solved the problem. He never replied to confirm if it worked or not.

My supplier says 2 weeks till they get more Torches. Hopefully I have better luck with Rogers direct.

When the reboots happen the bottom of the device feels warm. I'm wondering if it's over heating maybe. The reboots happen reguardless of how much is running in the background though.

10-02-10 02:16 AM
    You don't need to downgrade - you can try wiping the device and reinstalling .246. That will likely fix your problems unless it's a hardware issue.

Also, did you use the device switch wizard coming from another BlackBerry? That's the source of many problems when people try to move OS 5 settings to OS 6. It just doesn't like it sometimes.

It could also be an app causing it - I've never used Trillian but I assume it's OS 6 ready?
    10-02-10 09:10 AM
    You don't need to downgrade - you can try wiping the device and reinstalling .246. That will likely fix your problems unless it's a hardware issue.

Also, did you use the device switch wizard coming from another BlackBerry? That's the source of many problems when people try to move OS 5 settings to OS 6. It just doesn't like it sometimes.

It could also be an app causing it - I've never used Trillian but I assume it's OS 6 ready?
    I'll try a wipe and re-install of the Rogers .246.

I did not use the device switch wizard. I just swapped SIMs from my old BB to my new one. It did automatically switch my PIN for me on the BIS and BBM. The rest of my settings were pulled from our BES server at work.

I realized I harp on Trillian pretty bad but the reboots occurred before I installed Trillian. At least once while browsing, once while watching a video via the browser. It also rebooted on me when I tried just using the native IM apps. I had all 4 signed in, locked my phone, threw it in the holster, pulled it out and hit 'unlock' and then it rebooted.
    10-02-10 01:03 PM
    Ok so I just completed a complete wipe of my Torch using BBSAK.

I've got a fresh install of 6.0.0.246 from Rogers and I removed a few of the default apps (Gtalk, Yahoo IM, AOL IM, Windows Live, Slacker Radio, Password Safe, Brickbreaker, Wordmole, BB Maps, Social Feed, Twitter, BB Podcasts). And by few I guess I mean almost everything but the core.

SlackerRadio comes with the OS installer and I chose not to install it. Then after the OS reinstall I went to the Blackberry App Store and SlackerRadio is not compatible with the Torch. Wonder why they package in a incompatible App. Maybe I'll get lucky and that was the problem.

I've manually reinstalled BB Podcasts from App World and updated Trillian to the latest beta version 1.1 (get it here free for Trillian for BlackBerry).

Apps Installed
    • Trillian 1.1 Build 1 Beta
    • Blackberry Messenger 5.0.1.38
    • Blackberry Podcasts 1.0.0.36
    • Facebook 1.8.0.49
    • Flixster 1.7
    • DocumentsToGo 2.0005 (081)
    • Blackberry AppWorld
    • Google Maps 4.4.0
    • BBSSH 1.1.80.227
    • KeePass v2 (2.0.1506)

I also re-pushed my service books, formatted my mSD card and finished everything off with a battery pull.

Lets see how things goes.
    Last edited by fizi; 10-02-10 at 03:02 PM.
    10-02-10 02:43 PM
    I managed to get a good 4 hours of usage out of my Torch before Trillian would randomly start crashing. It wouldn't take the whole device with it but Trillian would shut down.

Then it happened. I pulled my Blackberry out of it's holster and the Torch rebooted. After it came back up I went to go and read the Trillian debug log. I loaded the .log file, started reading it and the Torch rebooted again (Trillian was not running at this time).

I've now completely removed Trillian and we'll see how things go.
    Last edited by fizi; 10-02-10 at 06:33 PM.
    10-02-10 06:30 PM
    Bingo!

So on a hunch I loaded up KeePass, Google Maps and I think BBSSH and put them in the background. I then went to a website in the browser and loaded up a video and played it. No problems.

I then disabled WiFi so I was purely using 3G and loaded up a different video. The Torch made a pweeeep sound and went dead. I just had to do a battery pull to get it to start again.

Now that I think back on the last two days I'm fairly confident all my restarts were while I was on 3G and the only stability I had was while using WiFi.

I'm going to get this device replaced by Rogers.

Edit 1: ... I'm of course now having a hard time replicating the above ...

Edit 2: and 30 minutes later I managed to crash it on 3G watching a video
    Last edited by fizi; 10-02-10 at 07:36 PM.
    10-02-10 06:55 PM
    I got a new Torch a few days ago and have been running smoothly since then. Looks like my first Torch as faulty.
    10-12-10 12:52 PM
    the pweep sound definately doesn't seem good...i would say it may be an app causing the crash and try uninstalling some of the non pre loaded apps (trillion etc) but that pweep noise makes me want to say take it back instead of takin a chance and issues happenin later.
    10-12-10 02:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD