I'm eligible for an upgrade. Currently own an iPhone 3GS. Miss a physical keyboard Previously owned the Bold 9000, Bold 8900.

SHOULD I TAKE THE CHANCE ON THE TORCH? Or wait on the rumored Bold 9780....

Simply question but need a thorough answer.....

Thanks in advance.
    09-15-10 09:19 PM
    Nobody can give you a diffident answer to this... best way is to go and try the phone out for yourself... but before you judge the phone make sure its running a more current OS than .141.... Somebody mentioned on here that they bought one already with an updated OS.

I love mine but I am running .225

Doubt this helps but *shrugs* all I really can say on the matter lol you just need to try it out for yourself
    09-15-10 09:27 PM
    Like I've said on a previous post, I'm a first time blacKberry owner. I was disappointed in the lag issues when I purchashed the phone thru an upgrade when it was first released. However after updating to the leaked 225 os, I absolutely love the phone, no complaints so far after the fix.

My two cents

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-15-10 09:29 PM
    Yeah I played with it at the store a few times...Just wondered how it was after a week or so. With a touch screen, trackpad and qwerty keyboard plus new OS, it seems like a good BB to come back you...
    09-15-10 09:39 PM
    I love mine... the video/camera is pretty good for me. I don't take a lot but it allows me not to carry a camera any more. In fact I gave my camera to my dads girlfriend since I no longer need to carry it.

I don't use BBM that much since majority of my friends are driod/Iphone users, but the couple I do have I love it.

The push email/notifications are almost instant... I was on facebook when I was notified on FF that I had a message and before I could even go to it my phone was beeping saying I had a facebook message, same for email. Not sure about Droid or Iphone but people on those phones seem to take longer to respond.

The blinky light thingy I absolutely love I can specify colors for apps/people so I can just look at that to see if I want to respond to the app/person.

Keyboard is a plus of course.... I have tried and tried to use touchscreen keyboards on iphone, droids, samsung instinct and even on the torch but I just do not like it.

Yes apps are very limited, even more with the release of OS 6.0 and RIM not releasing the items for developers to start developing, but hey I can't have them all.

Anyways that is why I like the phone... but that is why I like it, but the next person may have different reasons or find my reasons to be totally false, lol!

Hope that helps
    09-15-10 09:54 PM
    My younger brother just switched back to blackberry after being on an iPhone 3G for a year. He went went with the Torch 9800. He LOVES it. Loves the camera, loves the BBM, loves the form factor, loves the screen, loves it all.

After using the iPhone OS for quite some time, he says that it is a relief to be back on BB OS. And he says OS6 is fantastic.

I'm actually a little jealous.... Stupid VZW....
    09-15-10 10:02 PM
    That was very helpful! Touch screens just get old after awhile, At least the slide out keyboard will refresh that...

Looks like I'll at least try it for the 30 day period...
    09-15-10 10:05 PM
    I have had BlackBerry's since the 7250. I have two now and just replaced the Bold 9000 with the Torch. I can't say enough good things about this phone. Also have an HTC android at home and an iPhone (replaced by android). I like all these phones. I like the Torch the best at this time. Not a big app/game user. The touchscreen in my opinion is much better than the Storm's screen. The physical keyboard is very nice. I move back and forth between touch and keyboard and skip using the trackpad much of the time.

I think they got it right with this one. Now if Verizon would get something that interest me in the BlackBerry line.
    09-15-10 10:19 PM
    I think it really comes down to 2 things with the blackberry (specifically the 9800) vs. Android/iphone:

Iphone seems great for people who are not interested in customizing their user experience with their device and would rather instead pick up a device and just "use" it for all its intended purposes. It is a "one size fits all" device in my mind. Which I think is great if that's what your looking for.

Android plays off of the iphone's capabilities but with more end user support it seems. (I think of the linux community here). Great phone and if you have an idea for an application you'd like to use it for, more than likely there is a way to get it to do it for you. However, you must except that you will have to take many steps when operating the phone to do so. There isn't much that is "quick" when using and andriod device. ( Quick in the manner of pick up the phone and making it do what you want it to. It will, but your 10-12 keystrokes/selections away from getting to perform said function)

Blackberry is a great deal of the in-between of these two types of devices in my eyes. As with anything there are advantages and disadvantages however. Blackberry is very much a "communication" device first and foremost. It does have its capabilities to perform many functions these other phones do, but it will always be the more "well rounded device". (Which like I said before, means its isn't necessarily "the best" in one particular function...) When looking at a blackberry, look at what it has to offer vs. other phone's functionality wise (less in most cases), then examine what you really WANT the device to do.

Bottom line, no the blackberry isn't as much of an entertainment device. No a blackberry isn't as configurable in functionality as an andriod device. But it is a little of both. But will always be a communication tool first.

(The preceding is my opinion alone, I try my best to keep an open mind to all applications of these devices. Having said that I am, and have been for the last couple years, a blackberry user and currently use a torch.)

Last edited by MadGoat1979; 09-15-10 at 11:30 PM.
    09-15-10 11:21 PM
    I have been great fan for touch screen phones. started with iPAQ, HTC Touch, Diamond, iPhone, Storm1, storm2 and now totch. Yes, I agree touch screen of torch is better than storm, typing is more convenient and smooth. Even I have latest OS .225 but still virtual keypad has some lag. hope, in future os leaks, it would be taken care of.
    typing on suretype pad is another attraction of torch. to me typing was so fun on surepress (storm), that I never wanted to leave it but torch has both pysical as well as suretype.
    Overall phone is funtastic. No grudge at all.
    09-15-10 11:51 PM
    Biggest gripe with the Torch is it's build quality, I am sorry buy @ $500, this is not acceptable for me.

I wont go into detail on what the issues are but you can see others posting about it. And also the seriously mega sensitive Mute/Lock buttons (getting it into ur pocket and it not somehow being turned on when you take it out is impossible).

I also recall on my 8900, standby would after a time turn off the WiFi, here there is no standby mode period, and its just ridiculous.

Wait for the 9780..
    09-16-10 12:40 AM
    I have a Torch. It's sitting on my desk. I'm waiting for the 9780. From what i hear, it'll be here in Canada late Oct. Can not wait. :-)
    IMO-- the 9700 is the best bb ever so a suped up version (the 9780) can only be awesome.

09-16-10 03:38 AM
    Android plays off of the iphone's capabilities but with more end user support it seems. (I think of the linux community here). Great phone and if you have an idea for an application you'd like to use it for, more than likely there is a way to get it to do it for you. However, you must except that you will have to take many steps when operating the phone to do so. There isn't much that is "quick" when using and andriod device. ( Quick in the manner of pick up the phone and making it do what you want it to. It will, but your 10-12 keystrokes/selections away from getting to perform said function)
    Probably one of the most ridiculous things I've read in a while. What exactly isn't quick about Android?
    09-16-10 04:43 AM
    (The preceding is my opinion alone, I try my best to keep an open mind to all applications of these devices. Having said that I am, and have been for the last couple years, a blackberry user and currently use a torch.)

/10char
    09-16-10 05:55 AM
    I absollutely LOVE my device! I'm a geek and buy new phones at the drop of a hat so I'll buy the 9780 just for 'scuzz, but I really hope the Torch stays as a series. Having the keyboard AND the touchscreen is awesome!!!

09-16-10 06:01 AM
    The best advice is to test drive the Torch by going in a store for about an hour. You can read all the feedback but nothing replaces personal experience. The touchscreen, trackpad and QWERTY keyboard truly enhance the smartphone experience especially web-browsing and messaging. Having had the Torch, I will most likely pass on the 9780 even though I too like having the most current BB and have previously owned a 9700. The Torch is a much better phone overall and with the next official OS update will be even better.

09-16-10 06:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD