I have reached the point where I don't care if it is a wireless sync or if I have to get out the cord - I just want it to sync.

Google sync is great when you can get it to work but it isn't adding all of my events from the BB to the google calendar. I am assuming that it is adding all from google to my BB but I could be wrong.

I don't have outlook and from the research I have done, I would have to buy MS Office to get it. There is no built-in calendar on my computer (windows 7) and I don't want to download random ones trying to get something to sync.

I have tried yahoo calendar and it seems to be down as often as it is up so I am not fond of it.

Being a homeschool mom, I would like something reliable but inexpensive (free is even better).

I have even tried going into the BIS and I just can't figure it out. It is probably 1D10T error but I just can't figure out what to try next.
    09-08-10 12:58 AM
    Do you have your settings right in GoogleSync? I haven't used it in a while but I know you can have a one-way and two-sync. It will also only sync events after it's setup, so if the calendar events were on your BB before you installed it then they won't sync.

You could also give Free mobile phone contact, photo, video and text message backup :: m:IQ a try. It's all wireless and very easy to setup. I think it's the same as GoogleSync though too, that it will only sync things after you install the app.
    09-08-10 01:36 AM
    No sync between DM6 and 64-bit Outlook 2010
    09-08-10 01:51 AM
    No sync between DM6 and 64-bit Outlook 2010
    The OP doesn't even use or want to purchase Outlook, let alone a version that only a very small percentage of people use.
    09-08-10 01:56 AM
    I have reached the point where I don't care if it is a wireless sync or if I have to get out the cord - I just want it to sync.

Google sync is great when you can get it to work but it isn't adding all of my events from the BB to the google calendar. I am assuming that it is adding all from google to my BB but I could be wrong.

I don't have outlook and from the research I have done, I would have to buy MS Office to get it. There is no built-in calendar on my computer (windows 7) and I don't want to download random ones trying to get something to sync.

I have tried yahoo calendar and it seems to be down as often as it is up so I am not fond of it.

Being a homeschool mom, I would like something reliable but inexpensive (free is even better).

I have even tried going into the BIS and I just can't figure it out. It is probably 1D10T error but I just can't figure out what to try next.
    Google Sync is kind of quirky and it can be difficult to set up. But it will work, I can assure you. I use it as my primary (only) calendar and contacts sync and it works well for the most part.

The best advice I can give you is to read, read, read all the online info you can find on Google's web site about it to make sure you have everything set up perfectly. If you have even one little thing set wrong, it'll screw up the whole thing. And yes I know, Google's help files are convoluted and sparse at best, but the info is there. Here' where I would start (I've read through these several times myself!) Google Sync - Google Mobile Help

If all else fails, use DM to delete your calendar and contacts databases on the device (make sure you have it backed up with DM first), delete the Sync app from your device, and start from scratch.

Good luck!
    09-08-10 07:21 AM
    It will also only sync events after it's setup, so if the calendar events were on your BB before you installed it then they won't sync.
    I've been using Google Sync for quite a while now since my Bold 9000 and never had a problem but it doesn't actually seem to be synching both ways now on the Torch. I just added an event on my BB calendar, did a sync and it finished with a "nothing changed". There is an option in Google Sync that reads "Add new handheld events to" with a dropdown box selection of "None" and "My Calendar", and My Calendar is selected. I wonder if this is an OS compatibility issue since it used to work on OS 5 on the Bold?
    09-08-10 11:23 AM
    Hmm, I was able to sync yahoo calendar a few days ago.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-08-10 11:29 AM
    My Google Sync works, now if I can just understand whether to remove contacts from my BB or from there and which one wins.
    09-08-10 11:40 AM
    I tried google sync with my 9000, but got fed up with all the dupe entries. When I got my 9800 I forgot all about the headaches I had with google sync and same thing happened. Luckily I only sync'd it for 4 weeks. I deleted it and restored my calendar....Then with some searching I found NiceOffice lite. Dorky name, but wow it works great! Syncs both ways and you can access your calendar from their website. Its very user friendly. Look for it in appworld.
    Last edited by islandguy808; 09-08-10 at 12:05 PM.
    09-08-10 12:01 PM
    Just saw your post here. I'm looking at NiceOffice lite, but I don't use Outlook. I have MS Mail at home (Vista) and Eudora at work. Can I still use NiceOffice or is Outlook required? I like the idea of a task list that syncs between my BB and desktop. I've been using Google calendar and contacts and it's been ok.
    11-20-10 07:40 AM
    I tried google sync with my 9000, but got fed up with all the dupe entries. When I got my 9800 I forgot all about the headaches I had with google sync and same thing happened. Luckily I only sync'd it for 4 weeks. I deleted it and restored my calendar....Then with some searching I found NiceOffice lite. Dorky name, but wow it works great! Syncs both ways and you can access your calendar from their website. Its very user friendly. Look for it in appworld.
    It's not about which one wins, it's about the fact that removing a contact from your phone WILL remove it from Google Contacts when you sync BUT removing a contact from Google Contacts will also remove a contact from your phone.

So all in all, the remove part "wins". Doesn't matter which end you remove it, if you do, it will be removed from both. Same goes for adding contacts.

Remember, Google Contacts works as a backup only if you do not intentionally remove the contacts. (for example, getting a new phone and sync that agenda with Google Contacts will not remove all of your Google Contacts but will populate your agenda with those contacts, only after that if you send the "remove" signal they will be removed.

It all comes down to the type of SIGTERM sent to the server. Like I said, when syncing with an empty agenda (i.e new phone) there's no SIGTERM sent to the server, so the server pushes the contacts to your phone. But there will be a SIGTERM sent to the server if you manually select to remove contacts, and they will be removed from the Backup too. Same thing if you modify contacts online in your Google Account, the server remembers which contacts you selected for removal and then sends the remove command to your phone.

Later edit: Sorry the quote was intended for gcobb guy, I clicked the wrong guy. For some reason I can't remove or edit it, sorry.
    Last edited by vaahtera; 11-20-10 at 08:28 AM.
    11-20-10 08:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD