Connection: Wi-fi

Blackberry enterprise service
    Connection: Wi-fi

Mobile network
    Connection: 3G(with bb logo)
    Provider: AT&T

Wi-fi network
    Active profile: home office

With my settings and status like this will I use data?

Right, I have to agree with you LuvMyBB... I'm not sure where he got that idea... How could this physically be true, if you were in an area where no mobile data service was available, but wifi was, and you were able to surf the web, dl emails, etc? That's the point of having wifi - to bypass the mobile data services portion. And think about it: ATT would prefer this, as their network isn't overworked. They still get your money for the data you didn't use. So for them, it's a win-win.

When I log into ATT to check my data usage, it's extremely low - and that's because most of my data usage is over wifi.

There must be something wrong with the OP's settings.
    He should check the "Manage Connections" icon, then "Service Status" at the bottom. There, it will tell you what connection is being utilized for each service.
    Currently, Im on wifi, and mine reads as follows:

Blackberry Internet Service
    Connection: Wi-Fi

Blackberry Enterprise Service
    Connection: Wi-Fi

Mobile Network
    Coverage: EDGE (my home location sucks)
    Provider: AT&T

If "Blackberry Internet Service" is showing EDGE or 3G instead, then you know you're not using wi-fi, and any data usage will count towards your quota.
    09-26-10 12:14 PM
    If you're going to turn off data then there is no point having a smartphone. You have obviously downloaded three large files (podcast,video,etc) and or had some streaming services running.

As far as WiFi goes, not all apps use WiFi even if it's turned on. Be sure if you're using any of the mentioned streaming, podcast, or video type services that the app actually supports WiFi. They will usually warn you if they don't but you should check the settings for connections and see if there is a WiFi option.

The ONLY time I ever used that kind of data was by downloading podcasts (30-40 mb per) and that was before I got my 9700 with WiFi. Now I really need to try to even get to 100 mb a month (and I use my BB constantly for work and personal use all day long).

Does AT&T have any proprietary software you may have launched to check out and then left open? (Like Vcast on Verizon or something of that nature?) If you hold down the Blackberry button it will let you know all of the apps that are open and running. Just backing out or pressing the red end button DOES NOT close an app. If you want to be sure is closes, press the Blackberry menu button and find the close/exit/quit option.

Hope you sort this out. There is no way you will find a device out there that manages data better than the Blackberry so there must be an explanation for that. You should never have to turn off your data services unless you are roaming outside your home country....
    09-26-10 12:16 PM
    If bb users are concerned with data; imagine the iPhone users data usage. Luckily I was and still am grandfathered in with the unlimited plan. I would expect AT&T, verizon, t-mobile will get out grandfathered plans from us in the future.

Pretty lane if you ask me.
    09-26-10 12:20 PM
    That's way too big to be an app itself. Podcasts are the only thing I ever download that size..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    The 3 times where the data use spiked was when I was trying to access the AT&T app center . You know that icon with the 9 little square boxes?

I was not able to get on 2 of the 3 times that I tried. The screen just kept flashing like a strobe light and gave me a message saying unable to connect. Retry or cancel? The one time I was able to connect all I did was listen to a song that they had listed as a free ring tone. But I did not down load it.
    09-26-10 12:21 PM
    Did you use AT&T Mobile Video, MobiTV, or Music Videos? I never used any of that carrier pushed stuff. I created a folder called "junk" and moved all of those carrier pushed apps and launchers into the junk folder, which I hid.
    09-26-10 12:22 PM
    The 3 times where the data use spiked was when I was trying to access the AT&T app center . You know that icon with the 9 little square boxes?

I was not able to get on 2 of the 3 times that I tried. The screen just kept flashing like a strobe light and gave me a message saying unable to connect. Retry or cancel? The one time I was able to connect all I did was listen to a song that they had listed as a free ring tone. But I did not down load it.
    I would advise against using the AT&T app center. The junk they offer there is not even BlackBerry specific. It's stuff like buying animated greeting cards to send as MMS to friends, buying ringtones (which you can make yourself for free from songs you have on your PC). I put all that AT&T junk into a folder I called "junk" and haven't looked at it since the day I got my device.

I even moved the MediaNet browser icon into the "junk" folder, so I do not see it either.
    Last edited by lak611; 09-26-10 at 12:32 PM.
    09-26-10 12:24 PM
    I would advise against using the AT&T app center. The junk they offer there is not even BlackBerry specific. It's stuff like buying animated greeting cards to send as MMS to friends, buying ringtones (which you can make yourself for free from songs you have on your PC). I put all that AT&T junk into a folder I called "junk" and haven't looked at it since the day I got my device.
    After I had the problem connecting to it I decided that it was probably not worthwhile anyway so I just hid it. I'm wondering if it kept trying to connect and maybe thats the reason for the spike in my data.....
    09-26-10 12:32 PM
    I've used close to a GB in a day, **** in less than two hours. Wasn't through a BB though...
    09-26-10 12:34 PM
    After I had the problem connecting to it I decided that it was probably not worthwhile anyway so I just hid it. I'm wondering if it kept trying to connect and maybe thats the reason for the spike in my data.....
    That could very well be the case. Almost everything they sell there is available free of charge or cheaper on other sites or through other apps.

For instance, I make my own ringtones, and I download "happy birthday" pictures on my PC and then transfer them to my BlackBerry and send them as MMS rather than paying for ringtones or MMS greeting cards.
    09-26-10 12:36 PM
    Some you need to read better, CX stated is was an ATT thing.
    According to the AT&T website...
    Accessing AT&T Wi-Fi - Wireless from AT&T

"Generally, Wi-Fi offers faster connections than our 3G cellular network. Accessing the Internet from any Wi-Fi connection � including a home wireless network � does not count toward your data plan."

That doesn't make any sense at all. If they were going to charge you for data used on the WiFi, they why in the world would anybody use it?
    09-26-10 12:40 PM
    if you use "hotspot browser" or whatever then it would use wifi for sure. Im not sure what would happen using the default "blackberry browser" setting. Im on VZW so i dont know if what CX is saying is right, we might be misunderstanding him. But he is very knowledgable and isnt lying to us lol.
    Last edited by howarmat; 09-26-10 at 08:25 PM.
    09-26-10 01:05 PM
    if you use "hotspot browser" or whatever then it would use wifi for sure. Im not sure what would happen using the default "blackberry browser" setting. Im on VZW so i dont know if what CX is saying is right, we might be misunderstanding him. But he is very knowledgable and isnt lying to us.
    I never switch my browser to "Hotspot" and I don't have a Torch. I do have AT&T. Last billing cycle I used Wi-Fi much more than I did previously. The 1GB is the least amount of data I've used since I've had my device. They started doing the "average monthly data" back in November 2009. I could have shown more months, but the ones from November 2009 to March 2010 were all higher than 1GB.

Last edited by lak611; 09-26-10 at 01:13 PM.
    09-26-10 01:11 PM
    I certainly wasn't suggesting CX would lie to anyone, but what he said doesn't make any sense to me. Maybe you're right and a better explanation would help..
    09-26-10 01:17 PM
    From the time I began using this website I have always felt that CX was sort of an "authority" on all things blackberry. I have always found his information very helpful and right on target. This is why I am inclined to believe that wi-fi uses 3G as he suggested. However as mentioned above it is stated on the AT&T site that wi-fi does not count towards data usage. So I too feel that some more clarity on the subject would be helpful.

I am so paranoid about using too much data that I am actually refraining from using my torch. Even though I have a wifi connection on it. I am typing this and most of my other posts from my iPad using wi-fi and I am 100% certain that it is not using any of my data on my plan.

I would much rather use my bb though.
    09-26-10 01:23 PM
    AT&T data is not used when you use WiFi.

I am 100% sure of this because I have downloaded huge files before which did not count towards my data usage.

With that being said, blackberry uses BIS strangely. When you connect to WiFi, and your WiFi logo is grayed out, you are still ON wifi, but BIS data is not being routed through wifi. So for example, using your regular blackberry browser to download a 50MB file with the WiFi logo grayed out, you are in fact using your data network to connect to that. This is why using the hotspot browser is important. BIS compresses files a lot. I assume RIM's way of using BIS on data network is to deliver content quickly, but if you are downloading an MP3 file such as a podcast, that is not compressed at all, hence, high data usage.

Any app which has configuration settings to use BIS/BES to connect works the same way.

I believe a lot of people who use crackberry are more advanced than the general public who does not use their smartphones to their fullest potential. So for my father who uses his browser twice a month the 200MB data plan would most likely be useful, but for me who uses 200MB in an hour sometimes, not so much.
    Last edited by xgm541; 09-26-10 at 03:06 PM.
    09-26-10 03:04 PM
    What is the hot spot browser? Also, when both the wifi and 3G are lit up, does the Torch always use wifi for web browsing (anything but calls?)
    09-26-10 04:57 PM
    Well just so you know, with Wifi, AT&T and your BlackBerry. Unless you have the "Mobile Network"(3G) turned off, all data will route through AT&T's proxies and will count towards your data plan. If you want to use Wifi and have it not count towards your monthly limit, go to Manage Connections and turn the "Mobile Network" off.
    I have to disagree with this from the way I'm reading it. I've had my Torch for about 30 days and I use it loosely. I have several apps refreshing automatically. Twitter, Facebook, Social feeds, and Google voice. I also browse as much as I like to. Browsing consists of occasional youtube, posting on forums, and reading articles. At times I stream for hours on Pandora. I am a advid app user and I'm constantly downloading and deleting apps. I download podcasts on occasion as well.

My usage after 26 days is approximately 20MB.

There is a catch to all of my data consumption. Roughly 80-90% is OVER Wifi. I would say I am between moderate and high data user. You would think after almost 30 days based off of what I told you I would be over 20MB of data. So I believe and I have read that if you're connect to Wifi that you do not use your AT&T data. I can't find the link. If I do I'll post it.

09-26-10 05:50 PM
    Okay, let's clear this up again.

If you are using WiFi, you are *NOT* (I repeat) *NOT* using data over the AT&T network. Period.

This has nothing to do with CX "lying" to anyone. It is either a misunderstanding or confused wording or something like that.
    09-26-10 08:06 PM
    I would have to strongly agree. In no way would CX be intentionally misleading or lying. The man is of top notch character.
    09-26-10 09:04 PM
    Some you need to read better, CX stated is was an ATT thing.
    But its not an ATT thing. I have a Torch with them, and my wifi usage doesn't count towards my data plan. CX, I believe is mistaken.

10-01-10 10:06 PM
    Well just so you know, with Wifi, AT&T and your BlackBerry. Unless you have the "Mobile Network"(3G) turned off, all data will route through AT&T's proxies and will count towards your data plan. If you want to use Wifi and have it not count towards your monthly limit, go to Manage Connections and turn the "Mobile Network" off.
    I don't think that is right. I stream slacker radio most of the day, on most days and I have a dozen podcasts that download including to video podcasts (at 215mb each). I don't turn off any of the services and and my BB automatically switches to use wifi when it is available.

When I check my data usage (I have the 2gb plan) I have never gone over 300mb for a month.
    10-02-10 07:41 AM
    if you use "hotspot browser" or whatever then it would use wifi for sure. Im not sure what would happen using the default "blackberry browser" setting. Im on VZW so i dont know if what CX is saying is right, we might be misunderstanding him. But he is very knowledgable and isnt lying to us lol.
    With OS6 you no longer have to manually change to hotspot browser to browse over wifi. On older devices, even if you were connected to wifi, if you used the bb browser and didnt manually change it to hotspot browser you were still going over your cellular network.

Obviously something was downloaded those 3 times. Much bigger than an app or a single song, and wouldnt be an app trying to reconnect a bunch of times. Going by the sizes Id be looking at the podcast app and making sure it wasnt downloading anything over the cell network.
    10-02-10 08:03 AM
    OS5 and the browser will still use wifi when connected over the 3G network. All of RIMs service are routed thru wifi also. Several threads and tests prove that also.
    10-02-10 01:01 PM
73 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD