Well well well....I must admit I am a bit disappoint with the 9800 . I have read the CB review fully twice now just incase I missed something . One thing that caught my eye was a quick thing comment made by the almighty Kevin . Where he said , we might see a Torch refresh .... I think RIM did an excellent job with the software side of things but the hardware does lack abit ....

Personally what I would do is what bump up the hardware asap . Whatever is going into the storm 3 put that into the 9800 right away and then I would double what is going storm 3 .

9800= excellent BB6 software and storm 3 hardware . No one would expect that and that would be a real winner..

Storm 3 = new os , double the original specs . 32 gb on-board memory installed memory card and a slot for another 32 gb san disk . Completely new type battery with some sort solar power screen to recharge the battery too . Good battery and solar powered aswell might actually work. Ye still have months to double up the storm 3 specs or even triple them ....

I am still going buy the 9800 but if RIM want massive sales they should try something better than what I have above ..

Anyone agree with me ...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by bigpolla04; 08-05-10 at 01:38 PM.
    08-05-10 01:03 PM
    Anyone agree with me ...

IMHO RIM needs to do three things

1) faster CPU, eliminate time clock spinning, eliminate phones freezing. you have the software to control the battery, i don't want to hear " it'll kill the battery".. there are CPU monitoring programs out there

2) Open up the SDK/API. They need an Apple POV on this one. Open the SDK/API, creators have to submit the program to RIM, they approve it. That way no mal-ware will be on RIM devices.

3) they need to open the microSD card for application storage. Encrypt the data. if you can create encryption keys that are getting you banned in countries... you can encrypt the stupid SD card.

bigger, badder, faster - doesn't mean anything w/o the engine to power it.... you can take a Porsche RS4, and if you only leave a VW Diesel engine in it... it won't do anything.
    08-05-10 01:22 PM
    Porsche RS4 ...nice car

08-05-10 01:31 PM
    It's always good to be disappointed in something that you have never even touched!
    08-05-10 02:12 PM
    Yawn at all the haters, that means I'll get allocation sooner, great.
    08-05-10 02:23 PM

1) faster CPU, eliminate time clock spinning, eliminate phones freezing. you have the software to control the battery, i don't want to hear " it'll kill the battery".. there are CPU monitoring programs out there

2) Open up the SDK/API. They need an Apple POV on this one. Open the SDK/API, creators have to submit the program to RIM, they approve it. That way no mal-ware will be on RIM devices.

3) they need to open the microSD card for application storage. Encrypt the data. if you can create encryption keys that are getting you banned in countries... you can encrypt the stupid SD card.

bigger, badder, faster - doesn't mean anything w/o the engine to power it.... you can take a Porsche RS4, and if you only leave a VW Diesel engine in it... it won't do anything.
    Finally, someone that knows what they are talking about. Number 3 is a GREAT point.
    512 RAM is totally sufficient, its the fact that RIM dedicates about 100 of it to apps ! thats nuts. Remember the iPhone 4 has 512 RAM too but apps are saved to SSD.
    08-05-10 02:27 PM
    Porsche doesn't make the rs4..... Audi does

08-05-10 02:32 PM
    Nothing but another whiner!
    08-05-10 02:57 PM
    Porsche doesn't make the rs4..... Audi does

Odd if you do a google search for Porsche RS4 this is one of the first ones.

most people call them an RSR or a 997... depends on who you talk to

08-05-10 03:00 PM
    Hahahah. The OP is so humerous!

Just get a BLACKPAD
    08-05-10 03:05 PM
    I too found it odd that they used the same CPU as the 9700. I don't recall seeing any info about the CPU speed previous to launch but I thought they would for sure up the speed to better run OS6 and compete with the competition. O well... I still want that phone lol.
    08-05-10 03:06 PM
    It's always good to be disappointed in something that you have never even touched!
    AMEN !!! I have gotten so tired of the Torch being trashed before it is even released. These critics are worse than my 11 yr old. At least, he will try something and think about it before he renders an opinion.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I think everyone would agree that we wish that we didn't have to wait for the Torch2 or the Torch3 but we all need to deal with the art of the possible and be more realistic. I have had 3 berries and the Torch might be the fourth one; I have seen RIM take a more cautious and measured approach by offering new things and balancing them with improved familiar things.

If you don't like RIM, move on. You can wish in one hand and ***** in the other or you can be realistic.
    08-05-10 03:07 PM
    Don't get wrong here ya . I really like the Torch and will buy it when I upgrade . I couldn't care less about 3d graphics and the other stuff missing from the review . I just wish it had better hardware like everyone . That's all.

The storm 3 hardware specs in the 9800 would be cool though . Can't wait to get the Torch .

08-05-10 03:39 PM
    The SDK is already open.... 9.99$ for a developer certificate and that's all. I do not want a store like Apple.

Apple's App Store is not very friendly for developers. A dev can invest time and money into creating an application for the iPhone and then, when all is said and done, get rejected from the App Store.

Nope, leave app development as it is. The permission system in a BlackBerry is enough to stop malware. If you are the kind of person to always "Allow All" to applications, that's your problem.

When I develop applications for the BlackBerry, all I have to worry about is if it will sell or not.
    08-05-10 03:45 PM
    The SDK is already open.... 9.99$ for a developer certificate and that's all. I do not want a store like Apple.

Apple's App Store is not very friendly for developers. A dev can invest time and money into creating an application for the iPhone and then, when all is said and done, get rejected from the App Store.

Nope, leave app development as it is. The permission system in a BlackBerry is enough to stop malware. If you are the kind of person to always "Allow All" to applications, that's your problem.

When I develop applications for the BlackBerry, all I have to worry about is if it will sell or not.
    You have very Valid points, and i will not fight with you on that, but my problem is this. Apple and Android have thousands of applications, all of them are found in one place. the app store or the market (OS dependent) with blackberry you have to look here, nope... look there, nope... check this site, nope.... ITS A CLUSTER when it comes to finding applications.

And if RIM was as easy to produce applications for, like Apple and Android why do you see 20,000 + applications for those two platforms and fraction of those for Research in Motion.

there has to be a reason that no one makes decent applications for RIM products.
    08-05-10 03:54 PM
    Odd if you do a google search for Porsche RS4 this is one of the first ones.

most people call them an RSR or a 997... depends on who you talk to
    Actually, most people call it a 911 GT3. A 997 is the platform for any 911 -- Carrera, GT3, Turbo, whatever -- made after 2005. RSR just means that its a racing version of a 911 -- again, any 911, and made whenever.
    08-05-10 03:55 PM
    You have very Valid points, and i will not fight with you on that, but my problem is this. Apple and Android have thousands of applications, all of them are found in one place. the app store or the market (OS dependent) with blackberry you have to look here, nope... look there, nope... check this site, nope.... ITS A CLUSTER when it comes to finding applications.
    Apple and Android have thousands of apps because:

• The API learning curve is smaller
    • Shovelware is not discouraged (Do BBers really need 764 fart applications?)
    • The demographics are different (lots of games... That's not what the majority of BBers are into).

Pretty much all applications are into AppWorld... Those that are not are on Mobihand... And those that are not there... Well, quite frankly they are not worth getting.

Yes, we have less applications... But the quality of the applications we have is usually superior and more useful then the other platforms.
    Last edited by FineWolf; 08-05-10 at 04:02 PM.
    08-05-10 03:59 PM
    Yes, we have less applications... But the quality of the applications we have is usually superior and more useful then the other platforms.
    we will have to disagree there.. i can think of 3 applications that i use day in and day out that ARE worth having/Yelp, Wikitude, and Barnacle/ that RIM doesn't have or is not near the version on the other platforms.

Applications and the poopy browser are the #1 and #2 reasons i left RIM.
    08-05-10 04:10 PM

point 1 - my cursor spins on Win7 ultimate, it happens. i agree minimize the chances, but it happens (if ya like i can make a theme without one )

point 2 - NO, NO NO NO NO, i know what you mean, but please not an apple style itunes store, imagine if you couldnt use non appworld apps/themes, and they ONLY place you could go was appworld, while i like appworld i love the fact that RIM has a more (in this context) open approach to installing apps.

i do realise that what you mean is give the devs more freedom and im all for that, but not at the point of the above happening.

point 3 - kinda agree, but not. they dont need to use the memory card slot (for new models at least) as the torch comes with 512Mb RAM and 4Gb storage, now flip that the other way around, and iv got loads of room for my emails and messages (i dont know what space they would take up, but im sure 512Mb would be fine) and use the 4Gb for apps. That would do the job for most people.

but now to the whole point of the comments, they all (lets be fair here) come from people who have read reviews/ watched videos and drawn their conclusions from those. thats it. so let me change that.

I was at the event, and let me say right now, that i NEVER saw the hourglass during my use, or during the far more in depth demo i had from one of RIM`s VP`s, sure 624Mhz isnt the fastest, but i didnt experience any lag during my use. Thats not to say my experience is indicative of what others will experience, but just me telling you, from a actual useage experience how i was with it.

I will be buying one (hopefully off contract) as soon as its available, its just how i feel. Yes i am slightly biased as im a blackberry user, however i own many smartphones and work all day with other makes of phones, so i know what i like but im not blinkered to the flaws of any one maker.

these are only my opinions, now that doesnt make me right, or wrong. but thats my opinion from using the actual phone.
    08-05-10 04:24 PM
    point 1 - my cursor spins on Win7 ultimate, it happens. i agree minimize the chances, but it happens (if ya like i can make a theme without one )

point 2 - NO, NO NO NO NO, i know what you mean, but please not an apple style itunes store, imagine if you couldnt use non appworld apps/themes, and they ONLY place you could go was appworld, while i like appworld i love the fact that RIM has a more (in this context) open approach to installing apps.

i do realise that what you mean is give the devs more freedom and im all for that, but not at the point of the above happening.

point 3 - kinda agree, but not. they dont need to use the memory card slot (for new models at least) as the torch comes with 512Mb RAM and 4Gb storage, now flip that the other way around, and iv got loads of room for my emails and messages (i dont know what space they would take up, but im sure 512Mb would be fine) and use the 4Gb for apps. That would do the job for most people.

but now to the whole point of the comments, they all (lets be fair here) come from people who have read reviews/ watched videos and drawn their conclusions from those. thats it. so let me change that.

I was at the event, and let me say right now, that i NEVER saw the hourglass during my use, or during the far more in depth demo i had from one of RIM`s VP`s, sure 624Mhz isnt the fastest, but i didnt experience any lag during my use. Thats not to say my experience is indicative of what others will experience, but just me telling you, from a actual useage experience how i was with it.

I will be buying one (hopefully off contract) as soon as its available, its just how i feel. Yes i am slightly biased as im a blackberry user, however i own many smartphones and work all day with other makes of phones, so i know what i like but im not blinkered to the flaws of any one maker.

these are only my opinions, now that doesnt make me right, or wrong. but thats my opinion from using the actual phone.
    as of this current moment in time i'm not using a RIM device... thanks for the offer, but if the clock wheel is spinning or not, it's still thinking,.

Point 2 - I'm not implying that you have only one store to get everything from. But i'm saying submit the application/theme what have you to RIM, the review it for malware and approve it. not one source... ... ... i don't even like one source on my phone.... i use 3 for the record.

point 3 - i can see where you are coming from. Even if they loaded 512Mb for the ROM and ROM alone and leave the 4Gb for application and information. that's a b^tt load of room for goodies
    08-05-10 04:34 PM
    Point 2 - I'm not implying that you have only one store to get everything from. But i'm saying submit the application/theme what have you to RIM, the review it for malware and approve it. not one source... ... ... i don't even like one source on my phone.... i use 3 for the record.
    Simply set your permissions appropriately and you'll never have a single problem with malware on your phone...

It makes me laugh when people set their applications to "Allow All".
    08-05-10 04:37 PM

Thx you very much ...that's what wanted to hear . I think you just made up my mind for me ... Roll on the torch .

08-05-10 05:23 PM
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I think everyone would agree that we wish that we didn't have to wait for the Torch2 or the Torch3 but we all need to deal with the art of the possible and be more realistic. I have had 3 berries and the Torch might be the fourth one; I have seen RIM take a more cautious and measured approach by offering new things and balancing them with improved familiar things.

If you don't like RIM, move on. You can wish in one hand and ***** in the other or you can be realistic.
    Do you think about what you type before you do? =P

BTW, Not liking a device RIM is making does not equal not liking RIM.
    08-05-10 05:32 PM
    Do you think about what you type before you do? =P

BTW, Not liking a device RIM is making does not equal not liking RIM.
    Gotta agree here. I would not own a storm 1/2 or 47 if it came out. Just don't like it. Surepress was a pain in the rear. That being said, I truly enjoy my 9700. The only thing I don't like about it is the web browser. Bolt does the job, but it is slower than BP cleaning up a oil spill.
    08-05-10 05:44 PM
    I heard that there is discussion of a 9800 refresh after the beginning of the year. I only heard this from one person, and have not seen anything online.

Thoughts?
    10-01-10 11:59 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD