I've noticed that if I'm on a call the phone heats up to the point where it won't charge. If I open the back and blow cool air from a hair dryer on it then it will begin charging within a minute or so. If I've been playing on the phone and it's warm than it won't chArge either until i cool it down. Are others noticing this? Is it possible I've gotten a defective unit?
    08-31-10 02:51 PM
    ME TOO!! Happens everyday around 8 pm for me. I'm on .161 if that makes any difference. I will try cooling it down when it happens tonight

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-31-10 04:41 PM
    I switched out my phone for a new one and the new one does it too... Hmmm

I had been keeping the phone in an OtterBox case which has a lot of cushion and therefore insulation. So, I switched to a thinner At&t case but it still did it. Now I'm going to go causeless to see if that doesn't help - but I hate do do that :0

I have tried charging it with numerous different charges. FYI... The car air conditioner works really good if you pull the back off and expose the inside.
    Last edited by tshapiro; 08-31-10 at 08:19 PM.
    08-31-10 06:29 PM
    A friend of mine got today (8/31) his FOURTH Torch due to this issue!!!! He's getting a bit pissed at the phone, but AT&T has treated him well so far. I told him to try and get one from a different batch/date/country of manufacture if he needs another exchange to see if it helps.
    08-31-10 10:19 PM
    I'm dealing with the same issue on my torch. I'm gonna return it and go back to my bold

09-23-10 07:47 PM
    Not sure on this one. I have been on the phone for hours straight with no abnormal heats issues. I have been on calls for over 5 hours straight with a RIM mono headset. I have 3 devices and none have heat issues. 2 from Mexico and 1 from Canada, 2 are BIS and 1 BES.

A few times the battery would not take a charge when very low while in the car but had no issues when placed in a cradle or using the supplied travel charger. There is a known issue reported in the leak forums about not taking a charge when the battery is low.

I would also suggest looking into 3rd party apps especially those related to the GPS.

09-23-10 08:01 PM
    All BB heat up, and when this happens you cant charge them, you can keep trading out, but your gonna run into the same problems, normally its from over working the processor
    09-23-10 08:43 PM
    Well, if its from over working the processor, I've overworked TWO Torch processors simply from using the phone. I can not charge my torch at all, (both of then) if I talk on the phone for more than a few moments. I have resorted to removing the case and the back cover and holding it in front of my AC vents. Ridiculous. I'll be back on my Bold again before long. This Torch barely made it back into my hands 2 weeks ago when I asked my wife to return it and she forgot, thus passing my 30 day buyers remorse window. So I'm stuck with it.

09-23-10 08:49 PM
    Then you have an issue and it is not hardware. As I said earlier, I am on calls of long and short duration constantly with no abnormal heat issues. There is something else going on here that everyone with this issue is not considering.

I would start with 3rd party apps.

09-23-10 09:35 PM
    I'm just starting to notice the same issue with mine on Rogers. I'm in class right now(boring lecture), and it's the device, just beneath the keyboard, that feels very warm. As a result, my device's battery life has been droping. Not very happy over this. Thinking of replacing if it continues.

10-05-10 02:13 PM
    Bad apps will cause the phone (any phone) to overheat also.

I just installed Weatherbug and it basically froze after trying to run it. After a few mins the phone starts getting warm because it's running a high cpu load on the frozen app constantly.
    10-05-10 04:15 PM
    Ah well that could be a reason. I'll start my apps slowly and see if I can find the culprit, because on a typical day, the battery is great. Thanks for the info - forgot about that. LOL

10-05-10 05:08 PM
    All BB heat up, and when this happens you cant charge them, you can keep trading out, but your gonna run into the same problems, normally its from over working the processor
    Please don't take my post as a sarcastic one but I was on the phone for maybe 30 minutes and sent a text. I had to wait for the battery/device to cool down. So you mean to tell me using the phone for only 30 minutes is over-working the processor?

10-05-10 06:45 PM
    Please don't take my post as a sarcastic one but I was on the phone for maybe 30 minutes and sent a text. I had to wait for the battery/device to cool down. So you mean to tell me using the phone for only 30 minutes is over-working the processor?

It might not be the phone call that caused it by itself, the phone call just generated more heat.
    10-05-10 07:10 PM
    Ay battery will become hot when rate of discharge goes up. So this could be being on the phone or watching videos. The screen (video or such makes it worst).
    THis is common for all electronics using batteries.
    Now as far as recharge goes. A hot battery will NOT charge properly. In fact, it is always best to cool a battery before recharging to be able to get more juice in it. RIM made it so that if the battery is above a certain temp, it will not initiate the charge until it cools down a little.
    Just plug the phone and usually after a few minutes it will start charging by itself.
    10-05-10 08:47 PM
    Mine heats up only when charged...thinking of exchanging battery and or unit...i wouldn't care if i only paid 200 for it, but i paid full pop and just want to be sure its not defective...
    10-06-10 11:05 AM
    what a bunch of whiners. every electronic device does this when it's overheated. you guys are leaving out information here. just because you are talking for 30 minutes doesn't mean something else isn't going on in the background that is adding to the heat build up on the phone.

relax, wait a couple of minutes and charge your phone. ..........geez
    10-06-10 11:16 AM
    Honestly, i just got mine today, I haven't made a call yet. Just played with options. And its heated like crazy, wont charge at all. I called Rogers and they said its happened to a bunch of Torches. So no, I'm assuming these people are not "whiners" they have a legit complaint.
    10-12-10 04:14 PM
    @Jackson76 who is whining? How are we "whiners"? It's a legitimate issue.
    Yes, my Tour 9630 would get hot after browsing the web for about a half hour and playing music, it would still charge. This clearly isn't something that is normal.

A device heating up is normal, but you're basically saying that it's alright for the phone to be "overheating"?

Engine blocks crack when they get too hot, and electronics don't like the heat too much either. We shouldn't have to wait for the appropriate time to charge our phones.

Sorry if I was whining though!

There is no excuse for any electronic to be "overheating".
    10-16-10 10:06 PM
    i agree though. this overheats quick when speaking on the phone, or even when it's being charged; quicker than the curve and bold at least.

@Jackson76 who is whining? How are we "whiners"? It's a legitimate issue.
    Yes, my Tour 9630 would get hot after browsing the web for about a half hour and playing music, it would still charge. This clearly isn't something that is normal.

A device heating up is normal, but you're basically saying that it's alright for the phone to be "overheating"?

Engine blocks crack when they get too hot, and electronics don't like the heat too much either. We shouldn't have to wait for the appropriate time to charge our phones.

Sorry if I was whining though!

There is no excuse for any electronic to be "overheating".
    10-17-10 12:11 AM
    I've had my new Torch for 3 days now. It gets hot, but charging while overheated isn't an issue for me. In fact, I'm plugged in right now and it's a little hot.

10-17-10 04:52 PM
    We need to start distinguishing hot from overheating.

My phone battery has reached up to 43 degrees Celsius according to the BatteryWatch app available in the app store.

Normal operating temp for me is about 25 degrees Celsius.
    10-17-10 08:25 PM
    I had this same issue with my first 9800, but oddly enough no overheating or anything more than a little warm with the second one.

10-17-10 10:08 PM
    I have not gotten this problem yet. I just got the phone 2 days ago, and I don't talk on the phone much, just music and internet, and text all day.
    10-18-10 02:39 AM
    Got my torch 1 month ago. Was brilliant for the first 3 weeks, but now am having a problem with it running slow, feeling hot to the touch, and the battery lasting no time at all. Sometimes I take it out of the case and it is hot even though I haven't been using it for hours.

Is there any way to see what processes it is running in case there is something in the background messing it up? Does this sound familiar?
    11-23-10 04:40 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD