I have a non-branded 9800 from Phones4u and I'm on an orange contract.

Because its unbranded, I have to manually enter the UMA options.

This is fine, but it does lose/change the options and UMA stops working until I reconfigure.

Now, I'm just wondering if I download the 'Official' Orange .246 and leave the vendor.xml file and upgrade the phone, will this bring with it the UMA options to the phone. Also, will the vendor.xml file 'brand' my phone???
    11-01-10 10:59 AM
    Orange are up to date on patches????????

omg, they normally dont give a rats as per my samsung i8910 experience.
    11-01-10 11:32 AM
    Nsheld

I am in the same situation as yourself, except that I didnt hack the phone to get UMA yet (what is the point if every other day you have to reset it?). Bit of a laugh really as one of the reasons I went with the orange network was for UMA. Funny that phones 4 u didn't mention that when I got the phone from them.
    The ironic bit is that generally software that orange put on their phones, is crap and slows them down.
    11-01-10 04:55 PM
    Would leaving the vendor.xml file in the upgrade sort it out though? And would it make the phone branded??
    11-01-10 05:37 PM
    I got my Torch from Phones4u and asked them about the UMA they said it was on the phone and that is all .however when i asked Orange they said it was only installed on there branded phones,but said if i could somehow get the settings it would also work.They asked me what Phones 4u said about the UMA.
    i also came across that Orange version and downloaded and saved it.i was going to ask the same question that NSheld has asked,now in the past Orange use to put a lot of there stuff on there phones,eg like my HTC Touch Dual Windows 6pro.But the last Orange branded phone i got a Nokia 5800 all that was on there from Orange was the link to Orange world and nowt else,i am tempted to try there version but i think i will let some one brave enough to try first :-)
    11-01-10 06:25 PM
    The vendor.xml will only install a relevant OS to a relevant phone. Orange vendor Id is 142 and Phones4U is 603. It therefore doesn't matter whether you put an Orange OS on or Vodafone or any other carrier, unless you remove the vendor.xml file it won't install.

Phones4u are imho a bunch of cowboys who'll say just about anything to get a deal done. Yes Orange support UMA but only by default on their own branded handsets but those cowboys sure as **** won't say that.

I'm afraid the only way to get UMA on a non Orange branded phones is by changing the settings in the engineering screens. Irrespective of which OS you put on a Phones4U handset you'll never get it without changing the engineering screens.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-02-10 06:15 AM
    I'm still waiting for my 9800 to be delivered having spent a spell on the iphone4, but from the days with my 9700 you only had to enter the UMA setting once and they stayed until you did a firmware upgrade or full wipe, you shouldn't loose them from a simple reboot?

Glad to know this workaround is still working on orange though, they are out of stock and I didn't want to wait around now I have made the decision to move back to blackberry lol
    11-10-10 01:04 PM
    A strange one, UMA has just started working for me. Got the phone on orange via phones 4 u - UMA didnt work and I didnt bother hacking the phone. Then yesterday it suddenly started working, even have the option to select preferences in the mobile network options now.
    Anyone had the same good experience?
    Mike
    11-27-10 10:05 AM
    A strange one, UMA has just started working for me. Got the phone on orange via phones 4 u - UMA didnt work and I didnt bother hacking the phone. Then yesterday it suddenly started working, even have the option to select preferences in the mobile network options now.
    Anyone had the same good experience?
    Mike
    Mine has also started keeping the UMA now, but the only issue I get is that I will lose calls when I'm using it. Or if I call a number then I hear nothing, no ringtone, nada. I find I have to turn my wifi off if I have to make a call as it's too temperamental.

Does anyone know if there is anything I can do to optimise my DG834GT router to improve the quality of connection? <--This is the only thing I can think of to sort it.

Or if anyone has the correct settings to enable UMA that would be a start.

Let us know how you go on Mike - Also, is your phone Orange branded or not?

Cheers
    11-27-10 10:47 AM
    Wow....Just checked the 'Engineering Screens' and Orange have sent UMA to the phone.
    It's now 'OTA Provisioning' instead of 'Factory Provisioning' everything else is the same.
    Deleted my 'hacked' setting and setting the new one to default and see how it goes.

Way to go ORANGE.

Nice 1

/Does a little dance
    11-27-10 11:03 AM
    seems to be working fine for me, am on an unbranded, unlocked torch.

Good one orange
    11-27-10 01:15 PM
    if the UMA is giving you grief and you dont actually need to use the UMA, you can select network preferred in the mobile network options bit.

For a while there i could make calls on UMA but not receieve them (work wifi) seemed to be fine both receiving and making calls on the home wifi. Otherwise all good.
    11-27-10 01:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD