I've been using the Torch for about two weeks now.

This phone is impossible to hold in one hand while typing. Seriously. The thing just slowly starts to glide out the bottom of your palm!!

I know, I know - get a case... I've been trying to find a 'nice' one in the Greater Toronto Area but nobody is stocked with Torch accessories. I can order here, but not to keen on ordering a case that I haven't seen in my hand first...

What's with designing a phone so that it purposely tries to fall out of your hand? This is the slipperiest BB I have ever owned and I started with the black brick just before the 'Blueberry'!

Any recommendations on cases? I'd prefer a rubber or leather over plastic material and that it cover both the slider and the back...
    10-14-10 07:14 AM
    If u read some threads here about cases that fit over both pieces, alot of people are complaining about it worsening the "wobble" of the screen. To each thier own though. I actually found this to be better as far as slippery compared to my old 8310.
    10-14-10 07:41 AM
    I've been using the Torch for about two weeks now.

This phone is impossible to hold in one hand while typing. Seriously. The thing just slowly starts to glide out the bottom of your palm!!

I know, I know - get a case... I've been trying to find a 'nice' one in the Greater Toronto Area but nobody is stocked with Torch accessories. I can order here, but not to keen on ordering a case that I haven't seen in my hand first...

What's with designing a phone so that it purposely tries to fall out of your hand? This is the slipperiest BB I have ever owned and I started with the black brick just before the 'Blueberry'!

Any recommendations on cases? I'd prefer a rubber or leather over plastic material and that it cover both the slider and the back...
    are you typing with the slider open or close?
    i haven't really tried that.. but i never encountered any problem with slipping.
    isn't the ribbed rubber design of the battery cover suppose to address that?
    10-14-10 07:45 AM
    I have the Otterbox commuter case, and I loved it. I took it off because by using my 9700 I'm actually extending battery life a bit.
    My husband still has his Otterbox on his Torch, and he loves it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-14-10 08:08 AM
    may i suggest zagg shield. i have the full body protection on my phone and it really helps to grip the device better
    10-14-10 08:34 AM
    I'm not sure how many people are using "one" handed typing with the slider out (I have and have had no issues) as most would probably use the touchscreen in that particular instance. But personally I've found if I rest the bottom part of the phone along my pinkie finger (with the slider out) and use my forefinger to along the top of the phone where the lock button is and apply a small amount of pressure with those fingers I can type using my thumb with one hand relatively easy..although I doubt RIMs goal was to make a phone easy to text and drive with.

10-14-10 09:26 AM
    I agree 100%. The Torch is pretty slippery. I love the Otterbox for both protection and reduced holdability (is that a word?).

But even with the OB, it seemed to get more slippery with time. Check out egrips - stick a sheet or strip to the back of the device or case and it won't slide out of your hand. Plus, you'll be able to set it on most surfaces and it won't slide. Even stays put on a dusty sloped dashboard.

Not sure if they sell a precut size specifically for the Torch, but you get a lot more for the $ if you buy a large sheet and cut it down (scissors work fine). Plus, you'll have a lot leftover to use on other devices.

Egrips Non-Slip Strips - Consumer & Promotional Products for Mobile Phones - Silicone Grip Material | Information
    10-14-10 10:06 AM
    But personally I've found if I rest the bottom part of the phone along my pinkie finger (with the slider out) and use my forefinger to along the top of the phone where the lock button is and apply a small amount of pressure with those fingers I can type using my thumb with one hand relatively easy
    Good grief! How big are your hands?

Are you a gorilla?
    10-14-10 10:18 AM
    I use the same technique as Rickroller, hands are of average size...but its very rare that I type one handed on the physical keyboard-usually when driving-yea I know shame on me. But 90% of the time use the touchscrren for one handed.

As for it slipping out of my hands...never an issue, that's why there is the grippy rubber back

10-14-10 10:32 AM
    I can use it one handed just fine. I rest the phone on my pinkie finger and use my thumb on the screen and keyboard. No slipping for me.
    10-14-10 10:36 AM
    You could use an invisible shield. The film they use is pretty sticky. Im not a huge fan of cases since they make the phone look ugly and add more dimensions to the phone.
    10-14-10 11:04 AM
    I have no problems with mine, but sadly, I have dropped mine twice and am now sporting some gouges on the outer slider body. :sigh:

Still a sexy device, IMO...
    10-14-10 12:39 PM
    Doesn't slide out of my hand. I must be holding it wrong. lol
    10-14-10 01:37 PM
    I type with one hand on my Torch all of the time, and haven't experienced any slippage. Maybe its how you're holding it? Maybe too tight, too loose? Oily hands?

I wish I could take a pic of how I hold my Torch, but the device has my only camera. lol

But I pretty much rest the bottom of the device on my pinky, with ring and middle fingers wrapped around the back and my index finger touching towards the cameria/Torch/Flash area.
    Last edited by MACKSnare519; 10-14-10 at 01:59 PM.
    10-14-10 01:53 PM
    I had the Bold 9700 and that thing was slippery.
    I find the Torch WAY better.

Maybe cut down on the lotion???
    10-14-10 05:36 PM
    No problems here. My pinky supports the bottom of the device, if I'm ever having to type with one hand on the full keyboard. SureType (condensed touch keyboard) is far better for that though.
    However, I'm waiting to see what kind of extended battery Seidio will release. Hopefully it will help to balance the phone like a counter-weight.

10-14-10 05:41 PM
    I had some problems at first, but im slowly getting used to it. So close to dropping it a few times =/
    10-14-10 05:45 PM
    I've never had problems with my Torch slipping out of my hand with or without the Otterbox case.
    10-14-10 05:46 PM
    I had some problems at first, but im slowly getting used to it. So close to dropping it a few times =/
    I dropped it once (just a foot) onto tiled flooring. Luckily it landed on an angle on the rubber rim and the phone remained undamaged.
    10-14-10 06:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD