I've recently upgraded from a 9700 to the 9800 and I've noticed all the text on the home screen for the icons and certain other places is extremely low quality.

I've upped the font size from 5 and changed it to numerous others all exhibiting the same result. When I assign a wallpaper it seems to change it to like it was a GIF with the gradients all being jerky.

When you drop down the today doodah the text in there is also like this.

See attachments

I haven't changed the theme either and done plenty o'battery pulls.

I've tried searching but all results seem to mention that the torch has a low res screen which to me is a downgrade not an upgrade.

Hopefully there is a setting I've inadvertently touched (being new to touch screen) and you lovely people can set me right.

Thanks
    D
    Last edited by dapthechap; 11-20-10 at 06:11 AM.
    11-20-10 05:35 AM
    See attachments
    11-20-10 06:11 AM
    Unfortuanly I see nothing wrong with your screen shots. Thats just the way the torch is.

9700 screen specs :
    Display

* High resolution 480x360 pixel
    color display
    * Transmissive TFT LCD
    * Supports over 65,000 colors
    * 2.44" (diagonally measured)

9800 screen specs:
    Display

* 3.2” HVGA+ touch screen (480x360)
    * Font size (user selectable)
    * Light-sensing and proximity
    detecting screen

So as you can see it is the same resolution, but your also looking at a larger screen.

P.S.
    Your second screen shot doesn't show for me.
    11-20-10 06:34 AM
    The second screenshot is the one that shows it more clearly. Here it is with font set at 8.
    11-20-10 07:10 AM
    Ok now that I can see the second pic. that is not normal. If I could find some text that isn't if a sensitive material I will post you a screen of mine in 8 size font.
    11-20-10 07:18 AM
    Ok found one that I can use. This is my torch on 8 font size using BBAlpha Sans.

Out of curiosity now that I have looked at that options screen again. Do you have "Font Smoothing" checked in the font options screen?

Just Turned "Font Smoothing" off and mine looks like yours.

Last edited by homer1475; 11-20-10 at 07:34 AM.
    11-20-10 07:31 AM
    I was about to say its like xp without cleartype on.

I've just checked there is no font smoothing

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-20-10 07:35 AM
    What OS version are you running? Font smoothing has been an option in every build to date. Could be one of those things where those across the pond have some slightly different menu options then we do here in the states. Something like that though should be standard on every device.

Perhaps someone from across the pond will chime in and let us know if the option is on their device or not.
    11-20-10 07:38 AM
    Here's my "Screen Display" options screen. You can clearly see the "Font Smoothing" option.

11-20-10 07:41 AM
    It is 246.

11-20-10 07:42 AM
    Just found this Font Issue On 9800 Torch - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

Reckons an upgrade is on the cards
    11-20-10 07:56 AM
    Font smoothing has been on every build since .141 for me.
    11-20-10 08:09 AM
    Very strange, just realized I have no font smoothing option on 246. Tried changing fonts, sizes, etc, but the smoothing field just won't show up. No big deal for me, my screen and font clarity is excellent, I just found this weird

11-20-10 08:26 AM
    Very strange, just realized I have no font smoothing option on 246. Tried changing fonts, sizes, etc, but the smoothing field just won't show up. No big deal for me, my screen and font clarity is excellent, I just found this weird

You are posting from where on this earth

Like I stated earlier, there are some menu options available to those across the pond that aren't available to us in the states and vice versus. Example I can think of off the top of my head, the 3g only option in manage connections. here in the states we have 3g or 2g and 2g only. Across the pond they have an option for 3g only. There has been a couple other things, but cant think of any at the moment.
    11-20-10 08:29 AM
    Re: Font Smoothing Problem? - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
    More info on the problem. Now I know it's a font smoothing issue it's easy to find
    11-20-10 09:51 AM
    OK all solved, installed 337 and the Font Smoothing option came back and all is well in dapland

Thanks for your help Homer
    11-20-10 12:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD