Well this appears to be a topic that is effecting quite a few people. On all of my prior BB I have never gotten anywhere near 100MB per month on my data plan. With my 9800, I am breaking that barrier constantly.

On my old devices I was able to configure everything that used heavy data to only use it when there was WiFi available and then only over the WiFi.

I believe I have this configured correctly on my 9800, but apparently I am still downloading a lot of stuff over AT&T. I pull down a lot of podcasts and RSS and am using the built in OS6 apps for this.

Could someone give me (all of us) some pointers on the best/proper configuration of the 9800 to use WiFi as much as possible? Maybe this would be a good article for the BB101 courses....
    09-17-10 06:46 AM
    hmm why? whats the big deal of using over 100MBs? how much do you have on your data plan? i just started my bill cycle a couple days ago and i'm anxious to see how much data i use monthly. with my 9700 i was using around 500MBs ...
    09-17-10 08:52 AM
    hmm why? whats the big deal of using over 100MBs? how much do you have on your data plan? i just started my bill cycle a couple days ago and i'm anxious to see how much data i use monthly. with my 9700 i was using around 500MBs ...
    The new tiered plans give you either 200MB/month or 2GB/month and you get charged extra for going over those amounts. No unlimited plans now unless it's grandfathered in.
    09-17-10 09:19 AM
    Being that I never went over 100MB I opted to drop to the 200MB plan. I am now exceeding 600MB per month...

My usage of the phone is no different than it used to be, so it must be that the phone is pulling podcasts and rss over the network instead of only WiFi.
    09-17-10 10:51 AM
    i know i use more now only becasue i can watch Youtube easier and the web surf is so much better. i have 500mb a month so im cool with that last month i got up to 350mb most every with any bb.
    09-17-10 10:53 AM
    ...so it must be that the phone is pulling podcasts ... over the network instead of only WiFi.
    FYI, you can change so Podcasts only come over WiFi. In the podcast app, go to the options and scroll about half-way downward.
    09-17-10 02:33 PM
    Thats crazy. With my Evo, I go over 7 gb easily. I cant wait until I an back with blackberry to see what my usage will be like.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-17-10 07:56 PM
    I can easily hit the 2gb limit per month on my torch. Its a bit disconcerting.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-17-10 08:13 PM
    Hmmm...I don't do much streaming media or podcasts, but I'm almost always under 100mb. With my iPhone 3GS, it was regularly 300-500 MB.
    09-17-10 08:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD