I just purchased the 9800 and I need to change my default browser. On the 9700 you can go to Settings/Options/Advanced Options/Browser and then change the default browser settings. Anyone have a solution?
    08-13-10 08:22 AM
    I just purchased the 9800 and I need to change my default browser. On the 9700 you can go to Settings/Options/Advanced Options/Browser and then change the default browser settings. Anyone have a solution?
    On the new OS 6, it's made like that, they took out that useless option. If you're connected to Wifi, it'll use your wifi connection, if not it will use 3G. So you don't need to setup anything.
    08-13-10 08:34 AM
    Well if you operate within a BES environment the IT policies sometimes limit the sites that can be visited. Some blanket IT policies block very useful sites for work applications. This IS NOT USELESS. It is very important if you need to get around some of the blanket IT policies that the BES sets.
    08-13-10 08:41 AM
    Well if you operate within a BES environment the IT policies sometimes limit the sites that can be visited. Some blanket IT policies block very useful sites for work applications. This IS NOT USELESS. It is very important if you need to get around some of the blanket IT policies that the BES sets.
    Do you mean changing the Browser identification or do you mean setting the browser to either "Internet Browser" or "Hotspot Browser" . I Lost track here.
    08-13-10 08:45 AM
    email i receive from blackberry

BlackBerry Device Software 6.0 introduces several features to the BlackBerry� smartphone, one of which is the simplified browser selection. Previously, a BlackBerry smartphone user made a selection from the Internet browser, BlackBerry� Browser, Hotspot browser, or WAP browser. With BlackBerry Device Software 6.0, the user is no longer required to make a browser selection, as the browser is now automatically selected.

The BlackBerry Browser will continue to leverage multiple transport options, such as BlackBerry� Internet Service, BlackBerry� Enterprise Server, BlackBerry� Mobile Data System, and Wi-Fi� technology; however, the user is no longer required to manually change and configure these settings. The browser automatically leverages the optimal transport available at any given time, to ensure optimal performance and minimal impact to the cellular network. Additionally, the manual controls to change settings have been removed from the browser options screen to simplify the user experience.
    08-13-10 08:49 AM
    email i receive from blackberry

BlackBerry Device Software 6.0 introduces several features to the BlackBerry� smartphone, one of which is the simplified browser selection. Previously, a BlackBerry smartphone user made a selection from the Internet browser, BlackBerry� Browser, Hotspot browser, or WAP browser. With BlackBerry Device Software 6.0, the user is no longer required to make a browser selection, as the browser is now automatically selected.

The BlackBerry Browser will continue to leverage multiple transport options, such as BlackBerry� Internet Service, BlackBerry� Enterprise Server, BlackBerry� Mobile Data System, and Wi-Fi� technology; however, the user is no longer required to manually change and configure these settings. The browser automatically leverages the optimal transport available at any given time, to ensure optimal performance and minimal impact to the cellular network. Additionally, the manual controls to change settings have been removed from the browser options screen to simplify the user experience.

the rest

The priority is as follows:

Browser transport that the application programming interface (API) specifies
    Browser transport that the BlackBerry MDS Browser Domains IT policy rule specifies
    Browser transport that uses the BlackBerry Enterprise Server if the domain name does not include a period (.) or it is a private IP address
    Direct Wi-Fi transport
    Wi-Fi transport that uses the BlackBerry Enterprise Server
    Browser transport that uses a USB connection to a computer
    Wireless network transport that uses the BlackBerry Internet Service
    Wireless network transport that uses the BlackBerry Enterprise Server
    Browser transports based on the order in the browser configuration records
    08-13-10 08:50 AM
    I need to change from my company's "secure browser" to "internet browser". Just got off of the phone with tier two support at RIM and it is something that they did to make the phone more "secure" for the corporations. If I cannot change this, I'm going to take my phone back to the store right now...
    08-13-10 08:51 AM
    Is this a personal phone or a business phone? Sounds like it's a personal phone and you added a BES in order to access work emails on your personal phone. If that's the case, you could always remove the BES and wipe the phone to remove the IT Security policy so you can go back to enjoying personal freedom. If it's a business phone, then you're stuck with the businesses security policies, which appears to be to use a "secure browser" rather than transmitting information in the clear.
    08-13-10 09:06 AM
    I need to change from my company's "secure browser" to "internet browser". Just got off of the phone with tier two support at RIM and it is something that they did to make the phone more "secure" for the corporations. If I cannot change this, I'm going to take my phone back to the store right now...
    Can you install Bolt or Opera as alternative browsers to access the non-allowed content that your company blocks?
    08-13-10 09:11 AM
    i have the same issue and concern with jslibeck. if to xalcoholicx--- the options for browser settings is useless, for me its not. it serves a purpose. i started with bb curve before going to bold 9700 and now I just shifted to Torch 9800 coz of its touchscreen and at the same time it has a physical qwerty keyboard that reminds me of my palm treo 650. You see with my curve 8900 and bold 9700 --both had the Browser settings options under Advance. In the Philippines, its necessary if you are on BIS because once your BIS expires and you want to surf the net using your wifi, you have to shift to hotspot browser to ensure your LOAD (if you're in prepaid like me) is not unduly deducted. sigh... Also I noticed that under SET-UP i couldn't find anymore the option to set up email but instead you will find it under the UNIVERSAL MESSAGES envelope when you click OPTIONS> EMAIL ACCOUNT MANAGEMENT (to set up and manage email acct). But when you click it---it tells you UNABLE TO OPEN EMAIL SET UP APPLICATION .... CONTACT YOUR WIRELESS SERVICE PROVIDER. Can anyone help me also on this? am kinda techie myself and i like tinkering but this one couldnt find where. Unlike with my bold i just go to SET UP and presto theres an option there to MANAGE AND SET UP EMAIL. I like my torch but these are the 2 things that i find an issue. I can be reached in email [email protected]
    10-19-10 08:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD