having a storm for the last 2 years I love the torch. I could not use a non-touch at all. The on screen menus are all familiar and unless I am typing something longer I hardly ever even slide it open.
    11-29-10 06:30 AM
    When I read the title of this thread my first thought was, here we go again - someone is going to try to tell us all how foolish we are for having a Torch because the 9700 is still a better device.
    Well, I am quite relieved to read it's not that type of thread and couldn't agree more with the above.
    Every week someone at work will bring me their 9700, for this and that (most of our employees don't know squat about their Blackberry). I now know for certain that I would never switch back to a Blackberry with a smaller non-touch screen.
    This is not to say that the 9700 and 9780 are not good, just not my cup of tea anymore.
    Exactly just what I thought!
    11-29-10 08:53 AM
    When I read the title of this thread my first thought was, here we go again - someone is going to try to tell us all how foolish we are for having a Torch because the 9700 is still a better device.
    Well, I am quite relieved to read it's not that type of thread and couldn't agree more with the above.
    Every week someone at work will bring me their 9700, for this and that (most of our employees don't know squat about their Blackberry). I now know for certain that I would never switch back to a Blackberry with a smaller non-touch screen.
    This is not to say that the 9700 and 9780 are not good, just not my cup of tea anymore.

Exactly why I titled it that way!

at last a post not slagging off the torch but why
    do you have 4 9700 and 3 torches ?

3 of the 4 9700s are no lonfer used. My kid has that one. I just grab it every so often to see what he is up to (since it is unlimited) and to update all teh apps and OS. My wife and I use 3 Torch devices. 2 are mine (one work and one play) while hers is for personal use. If something neat is happening that I cannot test on my kids phone, I may pop a SIM in just for testing something on a 9700 but that's about it these days.

11-29-10 09:27 AM
    Funny my girlfriend never had a touch screen device but then she picked up my 9780 she instantly was swiping the screen and telling me phone is not working. Strange but funny probably os6 is made for touch screen devices
    11-29-10 09:30 AM
    I can never use a BB without a touchscreen again. Having touch + keyboard is amazing.
    I agree. I had to use my 8900 while I waited for my replacement Torch to come. Any blackberry I use from now on will have to have a touch screen for me to even consider using it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-29-10 10:03 AM
    I have a 9800. Gave my old 9700 to my fiance who gladly accepted it over her iPhone.

Although the 9800 does have its advantages, mainly the touch/bigger screen, I find typing on the 9700 far more enjoyable. To the point where I don't think I would mind switching back to a 9700.

Also the 9800 is noticeably heavier than the 9700. It makes it harder to use while in bed cuz my arms get tired quicker.

I'm really waiting for that candybar touchscreen device. That will be my favourite form factor.
    11-29-10 10:59 AM
    I had the 9700 previously to the Torch and I thought that it was a great device. Keyboard I love, loved, etc. I bought a 9530 Storm (New for $250 no contract from Bell, sold for the price I bought it for 2 months later...lol) for fun and to try while I had the 9700. I liked the larger Screen, but that was about it. Obviously the Storm sucked (for me, just opinion) with little memory and as for Surepress me no likey. I thought, combine the 9700 and 9530, then i'd be one happy camper. I myself have no desire to go back to the 9700. The 9800 to me is a much better device and the form factor is what I like. Torch works good for me. A couple co-workers still have 9700's so I try them out once in a while, it just doesn't turn my crank anymore...lol My 2 cents.
    11-29-10 11:13 AM
    I would never call anybody foolish because they happen to like the Torch over the Bold 9700. And the difference in screen size and the option to do touch are obvious advantages.

But I will say that if you put the 9700 and 9800 out at exactly the same time, there's a strong chance that the 9700 sells better and is still perceived by many as the "superior phone". I know that probably makes zero sense to people obsessed with tech specs and always having the latest and greatest. But being a Blackberry user was never about being at the front of the tech war anyway (and neither is iPhone, really). It's about a form factor that does what you need it to quickly and reliably.

People look at the Torch and they think they have the best of the both worlds. But tucking that keyboard away in a slider defeats half of the convenience you had with the 9700. If you know how to setup QuickLaunch and arrange your apps, find me another smartphone where two button presses (Spacebar followed by a letter) call up anything you want on your entire phone. No, it can't do hardcore webbrowsing, but let's be honest: Neither can the Torch. This is RIM's first "real" effort at a touchscreeen device, and if that's what you're into, your best bet is still with Apple, HTC, or Motorola, among other manufacturers.
    11-29-10 11:14 AM
    I'm the exact opposite in most ways. While at times I do miss the larger screen of the 9800, it's not enough to make me switch back. I'm sticking with the 9780. There's multiple reasons why, but the main is the keyboard. I've grown to hate the kb on the 9800, especially in comparison to the 9780 or 9700 for that matter. It's always felt a little cramped, but I just can't stand feeling like I'm pushing the buttons into a brick wall. To each his own. Luckily there's one coming that incorporates the best of both devices. )
    Can you give us any more info CX?
    11-29-10 12:06 PM
    I had the 9700 and was N LOVE with it. N. LOVE. but as soon as i got my hands on the 9800 i was like, 97 who? the KB is way better and the screen is really handy. I used to get upset when i had to scroll down a million texts to get to the bottom on the 97. My gf has one and she cant' put it down. I cant put it down either. can't wait to get mine n the mail tomorrow! ::excited cookie::
    11-29-10 06:07 PM
    I just got my Torch replacement and loving it again. I just hope it doesn't die on me again. hahaha. As for me i like using my 9000, 9700 and 9800 for different reasons. Each device has it's own use in my opinion. Love all my Blackberry's.. thats all i can say.

@Crucial_Xtreme: Is there a new BB Phone coming out soon??? This is great news!!! Can't wait to see what the new functions are gonna be added and what it will look like.
    11-29-10 06:15 PM
    Cool, this thread is still on page 1! Awesome. Keep the stories coming.

11-29-10 08:38 PM
    I owned the 9800 and hated it. It wasn't the phone, but more the touchscreen, slider, keyboard and lock button. Lol. Sounds like it was the phone. Anyway... I prefer the traditional style of bb, with the exposed keyboard. Loved the social feeds option on OS 6.

The torch just wasn't the phone for me. Truth be told, I wish I had kept it longer than a week; maybe I would have grown to like it. Recently purchased another 9700 and going to take then wait and see approach with RIM. There could be some nice products available next year.
    11-29-10 08:48 PM
    My 9800 developed a fault and is currently out of stock with my carrier so they sent me a loan 9780 until they get new stock of the 9800.

Now i have to admit i was a little excited to be getting my hands on the 9780 to play with and i did think that i might fall out of love with my torch but after 5days with the 9780 i have to say i am missing my torch so so much.

Yes the keyboard is better on the 9780 but there's no way i could ever go back to the small screen & none touch, how the **** did i ever manage on my old 8900!!!!
    11-30-10 09:13 AM
    I can never use a BB without a touchscreen again. Having touch + keyboard is amazing.
    agreed - surfing, media, and day to day touch screen use i cant go back... even with all the issues this device has.
    11-30-10 02:27 PM
    same here! I was an iPhone user for 2 years, and while I found it was not my cup of tea compared to a BB, I can never use a phone again without a touch screen.

In the ATT store, I was checking out and comparing the 9700 to the Torch, and I kept trying to make selections on the 9700 screen.

you are totally correct. a fantastic touch screen like the Torch along with a hard QWERTY keyboard is nervana for me...
    12-03-10 11:04 AM
    The Torch has an utterly crappy keyboard. Returned it after 7 days of using it hard core. The screen is nice but that's about it. The 9780 keyboard blows it out of the water anytime of the day!
    12-03-10 11:18 AM
    Wow!!! An entire week !!! That's really hard-core!!! NOT!!!

Glad you like your 9780 but your opinion doesn't carry alot of weight because of your actions and posts. One week of experience is hardly enough to merit honest consideration of them.
    12-03-10 11:24 AM
    I still have my 9700. I actually prefer the 9800 keyboard. Its far more clicky. Its tough going back to the 9700. I like a lot of other people keep pressing the screen especially since it has os6 on it. Once something like the 9000 comes out with a touch screen Id probably make the switch. Till then Im keeping the torch.
    12-03-10 12:09 PM
    The Torch has an utterly crappy keyboard. Returned it after 7 days of using it hard core. The screen is nice but that's about it. The 9780 keyboard blows it out of the water anytime of the day!
    Again?

As usual, your comments are irrelevant to those of that use the device all day long. Bottom line the keyboard was designed for a Slider Blackberry. It works for me and others.
    Last edited by Blacklatino; 12-03-10 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Modified post. SOS!!
    12-03-10 01:23 PM
    I've had issues recently with the Torch so I went back to the 9700 briefly. I missed the bigger screen and the feel of the keys. I missed the weight of it too.
    Using the 9700 was like coming back to a good friend, but I am so happy to be back on my Torch!!! Loaded some holiday themes and I'm right as rain!

12-03-10 01:29 PM
    Think of what you went through when you started typing on a smartphone keyboard going from a laptop! But we adapted. I personally think that the more typing you did on another device, the more time it takes to get used to another one. I don't do all that much, so it only took me a few days to "feel at home". Now, I feel awkward typing on my old 9000, which I thought was irreplaceable! It's the old + or - column syndrome.
    12-04-10 07:30 AM
    I haven't touched my 9000 since I got my Torch on release day, no point, the Torch fits like a glove. The adjustment to the different keyboard was almost non-existent for me, can type just as easily as I could on the 9000. Unless something groundbreaking comes along, I'll be riding out my Torch for at least the 2-year contract, nothing else out there is worthy of replacing it.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    12-04-10 05:52 PM
    Keep them coming!

12-04-10 07:52 PM
    LOL, I did the same (attempting to touch the screen) with my boyfriend's 9700 when I put the leaked OS6 on it.

As much as I want a 9780, I agree- too small of a screen! Now I've had a large Torch screen, I'm not sure I could ever go back to anything smaller than a 9000. What tiny little icons!
    So this ^ was my post on November 28th...December 3rd, I traded my 9800 for a 9780 Do not regret!
    12-05-10 02:43 AM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD