Well this morning I picked up my 9700s that are no longer in use (3 of 4) to put 979 on them. Wow, they just felt weird compared to the 9800. Besides squinting to read the screens which were all at default, I kept touching the screen! Writing this post on one of my 3 9800's, I feel back at home. They will do in a pinch but certainly they are no longer my preferred device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-28-10 09:38 AM
    I can never use a BB without a touchscreen again. Having touch + keyboard is amazing.
    Ashleyls3 likes this.
    11-28-10 09:45 AM
    I had the same reaction. I found using the 9700 so impractical after months of
    using the 9800 that I sold it four (4) days ago.
    I just don't foresee any instance where I would want to use the 9700 instead.
    Yes, it is a fantastic device but the difference is quite arresting.
    11-28-10 09:46 AM
    LOL, I did the same (attempting to touch the screen) with my boyfriend's 9700 when I put the leaked OS6 on it.

As much as I want a 9780, I agree- too small of a screen! Now I've had a large Torch screen, I'm not sure I could ever go back to anything smaller than a 9000. What tiny little icons!
    11-28-10 09:47 AM
    I know the feeling! My husband has a Bold and there have been a few times that I have done stuff on his phone. The screen looks so dinky small to me! LOL And I also kept trying to use the touch screen. LOL
    11-28-10 09:50 AM
    I'm the exact opposite in most ways. While at times I do miss the larger screen of the 9800, it's not enough to make me switch back. I'm sticking with the 9780. There's multiple reasons why, but the main is the keyboard. I've grown to hate the kb on the 9800, especially in comparison to the 9780 or 9700 for that matter. It's always felt a little cramped, but I just can't stand feeling like I'm pushing the buttons into a brick wall. To each his own. Luckily there's one coming that incorporates the best of both devices. )
    makaveli28 and Bonnie Bonzai like this.
    11-28-10 09:54 AM
    Awesome news CX. I am assuming 1q2011! I'll be looking for one on the testing block! The keyboard does take a little time but no issues now for me.

11-28-10 10:00 AM
    Are you referring to the Playbook or is there a new phone coming out?
    11-28-10 10:03 AM
    When I read the title of this thread my first thought was, here we go again - someone is going to try to tell us all how foolish we are for having a Torch because the 9700 is still a better device.
    Well, I am quite relieved to read it's not that type of thread and couldn't agree more with the above.
    Every week someone at work will bring me their 9700, for this and that (most of our employees don't know squat about their Blackberry). I now know for certain that I would never switch back to a Blackberry with a smaller non-touch screen.
    This is not to say that the 9700 and 9780 are not good, just not my cup of tea anymore.
    11-28-10 10:08 AM
    Awesome news CX. I am assuming 1q2011! I'll be looking for one on the testing block! The keyboard does take a little time but no issues now for me.

I've been using the 9800 for 6+ months and just can't get used to it. Tried but no dice. Obviously there are definitely things I miss, large screen being one, but I do lots of typing and the 98hun just wasn't cutting it for me. I'm glad you're totally happy with your though. )
    11-28-10 10:09 AM
    I'm the exact opposite in most ways. While at times I do miss the larger screen of the 9800, it's not enough to make me switch back. I'm sticking with the 9780. There's multiple reasons why, but the main is the keyboard. I've grown to hate the kb on the 9800, especially in comparison to the 9780 or 9700 for that matter. It's always felt a little cramped, but I just can't stand feeling like I'm pushing the buttons into a brick wall. To each his own. Luckily there's one coming that incorporates the best of both devices. )
    Does the device have a codename yet?

I am afraid that I will have to agree with others in that I would cannot go back to the 9700, which has a new home with my MIL. I actually prefer the Torch keyboard whose dimensions are not dractically different from the Bold. The flatter keys allow me to go faster.

In addition the larger screen real estate, I would miss the myriad of things that having a touchscreen, trackpad and QWERTY keyboard has served to improve my productivity and to increase my overall enjoyment of the Torch. I like having keyboard shortcuts as well as having pinch to zoom, double-tap and swiping.

If the Torch is not your cup of tea, I can respect that but I cannot imagine a situation in which a keyboard and not a more significant device feature would be the deciding factor to switch devices.

11-28-10 10:11 AM

I like you loved the Torch's big screen at first and the touch screen is nice to navigate through the menus.

However, try using the touch screen on a forum for example and see how u will be touching the wrong threads constantly.
    Virtual keyboard was not my taste, physical keyboard was too flat I always found myself hitting the wrong keys, and the battery woes.

Back to the 9700 feels like home
    11-28-10 10:41 AM
    I seriously debated swapping out for a 9780 after loving the 9700 but moving to the 9800. However, there is just more versatility and features with this phone as jcp said. I'm still hitting the wrong buttons and opening things I don't want on the virtual kb but this is because of user error, not because of any problem with the phone.

I can also say that I'm now used to using the physical and don't find a huge difference when playing with my wife's 9700. Both are great phones but I agree that the 9700/9780 is a terrific "just get the job done" device whereas the 9800 gives you some extras.
    11-28-10 10:55 AM
    I think the Torch being my first smartphone, my first BB and my first touchscreen is a good thing. I have nothing to compare it to so the Torch is the best phone evah! LOL

11-28-10 11:20 AM
    After going back to my 9700 for 1 week, I am back to my beloved Torch.I didn't realize how much I have adapted to the touch screen feature. All week I was attempting to touch the screen before realizing what berry I was using, lol! Even after downloading OS6 on my 9700, I missed my Torch even more. I think the beauty of having this os is the ability to swipe through the menus without having to use the trackpad. So many ppl in the 9700 forums have a hard time adjusting to the new changes with this OS but for me it made me realize how glad I was to have the Torch, just feels weird using that OS with a non-touch screen device. I swapped devices and went back to my Torch this morning and I have never been happier.

11-28-10 09:07 PM
    Well this morning I picked up my 9700s that are no longer in use (3 of 4) to put 979 on them. Wow, they just felt weird compared to the 9800. Besides squinting to read the screens which were all at default, I kept touching the screen! Writing this post on one of my 3 9800's, I feel back at home. They will do in a pinch but certainly they are no longer my preferred device.

I feel the exact same way! And I loved my 9700!! I did put the beta os 6 on my 9700 and after 2 days, I went and got the torch. I simply love the larger screen....needless to say, I'm a happy crackberry user

11-28-10 09:18 PM
    I am glad some people are happy with their Torch.

I hated it so much after using it for a week.

But to each his own I guess.
    11-28-10 09:24 PM
    I owned a n Iphone since launch and its pretty much force of habbit to pick up any phone and touch the screen. My good old pearl is a prime example
    11-28-10 09:39 PM
    My wife got a Torch from work and i was able to use it a bit. I am really impressed with it and when I picked up my 9700 afterward, I was touching the screen. I want one now, even though my 9700 does everything I need, I do lust for the 9800.
    11-28-10 09:48 PM
    Yah, I have two 9700s and I'm the same way. I'm happy with my Torch. I've gotten accustomed to the keyboard.....big hands and all.
    11-28-10 09:56 PM
    Yah, I have two 9700s and I'm the same way. I'm happy with my Torch. I've gotten accustomed to the keyboard.....big hands and all.
    I'm with you. When I had the 9700 I thought it was the best BB ever. Mind you
    it is no slouch but the 9800 completely embarrasses it IMO. So much so that I
    sold my 9700. I'm never going back to that.

The beauty of the 9800 is you basically have two devices in one package
    11-28-10 11:45 PM
    My last phone was the 9000. I loved the keyboard on the 9000 and didn't think I would like the one on the Torch. I adjusted to the Torch keyboard very quickly and would never go back. I was trying to help someone with a problem on a Bold last week at work and kept trying to touch the screen and I had to move closer to it to read the screen.
    11-28-10 11:52 PM
    Hehehe. All these "touch screen" stories are great. Keep them coming. Glad I am not alone.

11-29-10 12:13 AM
    I was the complete opposite. I was using my Torch for about a month. My wife has the Bold and I was constantly looking at her phone and missing it for some reason.

I decided to pull out my old Bold last week to update it to OS6. Since that time, I have not gone back to my Torch. I do like the bigger screen obviously, but there is something about my Bold that I like more.

I guess what a previous poster mentioned...it is all based on personal preferences.
    11-29-10 05:47 AM
    at last a post not slagging off the torch but why
    do you have 4 9700 and 3 torches ?
    11-29-10 06:21 AM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD