View Poll Results: Are you having audio problems with your 9800?

Voters
136. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

80 58.82%
  • No

56 41.18%
    Shocking poll results! Come on RIM.. You can do better than this..
    08-14-10 09:24 PM
    My torch is being delivered on Monday but now I'm all worried about it having this audio problem...sounds like a lot of the phones are affected...does this sound persist even with the headset on?
    08-14-10 09:59 PM
    can you also add someone's age and hearing ability to this question?
    08-14-10 10:23 PM
    Im hearing echo buzzing sound on my voice, the other party said they didnt hear anything.

Also, im 28 and my hearing is excellent. This is a real issue.
    08-14-10 11:14 PM
    I'm also wondering where folks bought the phone - are some batches affected.

I love this phone!!! But the tin can sound on mine is so bad i cannot deal with it. i spend a lot of time on calls, and keep pausing etc as i hear the tin echo. I am really worried that this is a hardware and not software problem.

40 years old, bought at Glastonbury CT store, hearing is average, spent a lot of time with loud rock music as a teenager. Tinny sound is obvious sounds like a blown speaker but only when i talk.
    08-15-10 08:31 AM
    Mine sounds great whether slider is open or closed. I was actually veryimpressed wit the quality and volume of the audio on my torch. I haven't had a single issue. ...I'm proud to say that I made the right choice in buying the torch. I love blackberries, and this is definitely the best one ever.
    +1.

10chars
    08-15-10 08:38 AM
    I'm also wondering where folks bought the phone - are some batches affected.

I love this phone!!! But the tin can sound on mine is so bad i cannot deal with it. i spend a lot of time on calls, and keep pausing etc as i hear the tin echo. I am really worried that this is a hardware and not software problem.

40 years old, bought at Glastonbury CT store, hearing is average, spent a lot of time with loud rock music as a teenager. Tinny sound is obvious sounds like a blown speaker but only when i talk.
    Hmm.... still curious if and when RIM will fix this...

Software? Hardware?
    08-15-10 12:28 PM
    Has anyone played with the Enhanced Audio settings?

Mine was set to Previous (whatever that means) I changed it to Normal and it seems a bit better - but the jury is still definately out. Will have to try calling a few people from various locations today.
    08-15-10 12:31 PM
    I bought two torches yesterday and both are having the same issue with "tinny" audio. It sounds like someone is holding a piece of tin foil over the speaker when I am speaking. It sounds pretty good when the other person is talking, but there is a nasty echo of some sort..
    08-15-10 12:42 PM
    Has anyone played with the Enhanced Audio settings?

Mine was set to Previous (whatever that means) I changed it to Normal and it seems a bit better - but the jury is still definately out. Will have to try calling a few people from various locations today.
    Previous means it will use whatever the previous setting was, with the default being normal. Unless you turned bass boost or treble boost on you were probably already using the "normal" setting.
    08-15-10 12:44 PM
    Previous means it will use whatever the previous setting was, with the default being normal. Unless you turned bass boost or treble boost on you were probably already using the "normal" setting.
    Unless of course a whole batch came out of QC having tested the treble setting last. Anyway - worth a shot - I "think" I noticed a difference but still have to try it out again.

Wouldn't it be nice if the fix was that simple?
    08-15-10 12:58 PM
    Only read one reply on here stating they don't get that sound when the slider is open...how many others tried that?

Still unacceptable, but might make it a little easier to deal with till something is fixed.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-15-10 01:07 PM
    I get the tin can sound with slider open and slider closed. It's only when I'm speaking, not the other person.

Clearly not a problem with my ears, because the other person sounds normal.
    08-15-10 02:30 PM
    +1, tinny sound open or closed. I also have the wiggle issue, so I think I'm exchanging for a new Torch anyway.

Hopefully the next one will be ok, but obviously there is a real issue here if so many of us have the same symptoms.

08-15-10 02:58 PM
    Man, I love this phone for everything but using it as a phone. Tinny all of the time, moreso when closed.

08-15-10 04:19 PM
    So I have a friend at A AT&T store and we went through 5 of them all had the tiny noise, the wobbling on the screen also varied from device to device and i Had one with bad bottom buttons with them making clicking noises when pressed, Luckily I found one that the screen did not move at all, Still has the tin noise, but everything else is perfect. So I would suggest making sure the phone is good before you leave the store.
    08-15-10 04:31 PM
    Guys I found the fix... I threw it against the wall and now I don't get the sound anymore.

On a more serious note, I was hoping a fix would be found... but it looks like im going to have to return the torch and get another one.
    08-15-10 04:49 PM
    Thanks for all the responses.
    Keep it up!
    08-15-10 11:32 PM
    Does the other person you are calling hear the tinny noise too?

08-16-10 04:20 AM
    External speaker sound quality SUCKS!
    08-16-10 06:30 AM
    External speaker sound quality SUCKS!
    Better or worse than the 9700?
    08-16-10 06:32 AM
    Sadly, yes I have the same audio problem.

Happens on some calls, not all. Was with T-Mobile for 6 years and made the switch (because of really bad 3G coverage) to AT&T. So far no dropped calls just bad sound quality.
    08-16-10 11:35 AM
    I have had at&t for 6 years, and sound quality with my curve was awesome. It's not at&t, I have had similiar to landline quality, and on conference calls noone could tell I was on a cell phone. My building has at&t repeaters inside it as well.

Call quality with torch is awful. It's not the speaker quality, as the other persons voice is clear and loud. It's simply the phone itself unquestionably.

I do not think it is hardware, I think it is a combo of persons voice and the phone.

Sooo - has anyone had multiple folks use their phone and some have it some don't? Has anyone with the problem returned it and problem went away?
    08-16-10 11:51 AM
    08-17-10 12:24 PM
    I have had Sprint my entire life and switched to ATT just to get the Torch. As soon as I walked out of the store I noticed the metallic echo sound whenever I spoke. In addition, the sound is really low and I have a hard time hearing someone when they speak. The speaker is also very low. I exchanged it and the new one has the same issue. Everyone at the ATT store is dumbfounded by it. They can't believe that their whole stock of Torch's might be defective. I'm super dissapointed and don't know what else to do. Hopefully it's a software issue...
    08-17-10 10:34 PM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD