12-04-10 07:47 AM
40 12
tools
    Whats wrong with you?

Hmm.. Let me think? I know the phone because I was testing it for several hours.
    Had a Vodafone branded version. When I opened the keyboad slider und was in messages and pressed c nothing did happen. Thats a fact! If it works for you it must be the vodafone rom. Not talking about the on screen keyboard.
    You have to toggle an option in the home screen for shortcuts to work, which is to not search from the homescreen directly. You dont need to disable universal search, the icon will still be on top right of the screen for you to press on and search, you just wont be able to directly type on the home screen. The option is on all official and leaks of BBOS6, you just didnt know how to configure it. As for the messages part, dont know what to say, it works on mine.

Images dont look pixelated on it, 360x480 is still a high resolution for that screen size. Obviously, the 9780 and 9700 screen look sharper, but by no means the 9800 screen looks pixelated. What may look pixelated are the icons of third party applications that are not high resolution and thats developer's fault.
    Last edited by gbsn; 12-02-10 at 07:54 AM.
    12-02-10 05:02 AM
    When I opened the keyboad slider und was in messages and pressed c nothing did happen. Thats a fact!
    Then you are either mistaken, or something was glitched with the phone, as there doesn't seem to be a way to even disable the shortcut keys within the messages screen. It's just there permanently, and you can look through the help file to see for yourself (look under "messages shortcuts"). Of course, that may be a bit difficult if you don't even have the phone to begin with.
    12-02-10 05:17 AM
    Better physical keyboard???? HAHAHHAAH!! OMG please tell me you're kidding.

I've owned the Torch for a week and the ONLY thing which made me return that crappy phone was the flat keyboard!! Because the keys are too flat you never know if you're typing an H or a J, and so forth! And the clicking feel of the keyboard is very cheap compared to the sturdy 9700 & 9780. The Torch has a very cheap feel to it when you slide the phone up and down. After a while you will notice it starts to get loose.

Battery life......complete failure! People were telling me to turn off 3G, do this, do that! Well NO THANK YOU! I buy an expensive phone to use all its features to the max! No to turn off stuff! heh

If you own a Torch, doesn't mean you need to deviate from the truth and mislead others!

The Torch has the best screen, and camera (side by side offcourse with the 9780).

The 9780 has the best battery, awesome keyboard (not best, but Awesome, the Curve series has the best keyboards), fast performance.

So there you go. An honest unbiased opinion from a 9700 user!
    ML, in the US, we are entitled to our OPINION. My comment on the keyboard was NOT misleading and was based upon 3 and a half months of experience, not a week.

Your comments as well as the polls praising the Torch and your abrupt aboutface to DOWNGRADE to a 9700 are ludicrous and disingenuous at best.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    WolfmanRobby likes this.
    12-02-10 06:15 AM
    Better physical keyboard???? HAHAHHAAH!! OMG please tell me you're kidding.
    And this is why we call you IMMATURE, Ibrahim. Just because you don't like it does not mean others can't. It all depends on you hands and your fingers. I have a young lady in the office with very petite hands. She could hardly hold a 9000, thought the 9700 was much better and is in ABSOLUTE love with the 9800 keyboard as it fits her hands.

PLEASE learn to be RESPECTFUL of others opinions that you may not agree with. You can disagree, but STOP THE INSULTING!!

I've owned the Torch for a week and the ONLY thing which made me return that crappy phone was the flat keyboard!!
    Dude, if I wasn't at work, I would spend about 30 minutes digging up all the posts you made DOGGING The 9800 on it's battery life, touchscreen, running slow, trackpad being recessed,... you made several posts listing DOZENS of reasons why you too the 9800 back. So, please, get your lies right!

If you own a Torch, doesn't mean you need to deviate from the truth and mislead others!
    Pot calling the kettle black....

So there you go. An honest unbiased opinion from a 9700 user!
    That's the biggest load of crap I've read in a long time.

Now, @lambrosio

To answer you questions.

Internally, the phones are about the same. They have the same camera, the same CPU, same memory, I think the radios are the same. ( I don't know that for sure, so I will stand to be corrected!)

Really, the 9780 is a 9800 shoved into a 9700 chassis with no touchscreen.

-Web browsing speed, you will have to test drive. Jsut as the best car fo you depends on the roads you drive, the best web browsing varies based on the sites you visit. From a technical stand point, they should perform about the same.

-Call quality, I've heard nothing bad about either. But, also know that the quality of the network in your area will have as big of an effect as anything.

-Screen. Well, here is my opinion. The 9780 LOOKS better to me. WHY? They are the same resolution, but the 9800 STRETCHES that out larger. Just like if you digitally zoom a picture, you have to enlarge the pixels. If you make an image bigger not by number of pixels, but by larger pixels, you notice the edges of the pixels more. This makes things not as crisp and clear.

My advice, go to the store, tell the guy you are looking at both and ask if you can play with the live demo models for both. Make a couple of calls, surf the web... PLAY WITH IT. See what one YOU like best.

Don't listen to someone who's best advice is to just insult those that he does not agree with.
    Last edited by WolfmanRobby; 12-02-10 at 07:29 AM.
    12-02-10 07:19 AM
    I've owned both the 9700, 9800 and soon a 9780. I can only speak for my experience with the devices that I have personally owned and used. I thought the 9700 was a very solid, stable device. Of course at its initial release as with any new device there are issues, bugs etc. I think the 9700 is a great device, it was very dependable and I consider myself a fairly heavy user of data, i had no issues with battery life. Now on to the 9800, there are a lot of features that I really like about this device, touch screen, swiping between emails, pinch zoom, and honestly, I have no battery life issues to complain about. As far as my negative findings on the Torch, I find the touch screen keyboard rather cramped and difficult to type on with any degree of speed and accuracy. Now, I'm not saying its a poor design on the part of RIM and AT&T, but probably just my fat thumbs Again this just my own experience. I still continue to use it with the thought that the more I use use it the better I will become. As far as the actual physical keyboard, I think the flat keys make it a little more difficult to use when compared to the raised keys on other devices. Don't get me wrong, I like the Torch, but at the same time, I'm looking forward to trying out the 9780 as well.

I would suggest if you have the opprtunity to try each device and use it as you would normally and do your own side by comparison to see what works best for your needs. At leaast for anyway, I find myself constantly switching back and forth between devices all the time. Hope you find what you need, and Happy Holidays to ya.
    jcp007 likes this.
    12-02-10 07:51 AM
    Let me throw in another Sentence:

OS6 is made for Touchscreens.

I heard the last Podcast. Kevin didnt like OS6 on his 9700.
    What you think who uses the OS6 on 9700/9780? Are the Icons to big and want to touch? Fits the OS6 perfect to a non touch BB?

Sorry for my bad english.
    12-03-10 01:13 PM
    Certain features you can tell were implemented with touchscreens in mind. But the OS6 experience is quite good on a non-touchscreen...

There is just some further tweaking that needs to be done for the non-touchscreens.

Icon arrangement and sizes can be fixed with a simple theme once the theme builder is available for said device.
    12-03-10 01:14 PM
    Let me throw in another Sentence:

OS6 is made for Touchscreens.

I heard the last Podcast. Kevin didnt like OS6 on his 9700.
    What you think who uses the OS6 on 9700/9780? Are the Icons to big and want to touch? Fits the OS6 perfect to a non touch BB?

Sorry for my bad english.
    OS 6 is made for touch screen? By whose standards did you come up with that assumption?

Let me tell ya buddy, i've owned both. The trackpad of the 9780 is more precise than that of the 9800 and I bet you any time of the day I can navigate through the menus and type faster than you would do on a Torch.

Just my 2 cents, but to each his own according to his personal taste
    12-03-10 01:16 PM
    We don't need just a trackpad to navigate menus so you would lose. We have a touchscreen to aid with that. Oh, I'm sorry. You only had a week to use your Torch so you probably did not have any hardcore use of the touchscreen and trackpad. We are also not dependent only on keyboard shortcuts.
    12-03-10 01:19 PM
    Had the 9800 a couple of weeks now , to be honest I find no problem at all with screen, keyboard etc.

Touchscreen is the way forward imo and with keyboard, trackpad and touchscreen you can take your pick how to navigate.
    Had a dabble with the 9780 the other day and no issues there found.

Did press the screen a few times though and wondered for a second why nothing happened - lol

You can't go wrong with either imo

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-03-10 02:53 PM
    I've had both the 9700 and 9800 and used each one extensively. I honestly like both of them for different reasons. What I miss the most is the form factor of my old Bold 9000 though. I have huge hands and thick fingers. I'm getting used to the keyboard on the Torch. I wish RIM would re-launch that beast with updated everything. For that, I would give up my Torch.
    12-03-10 04:26 PM
    I've had both the 9700 and 9800 and used each one extensively. I honestly like both of them for different reasons. What I miss the most is the form factor of my old Bold 9000 though. I have huge hands and thick fingers. I'm getting used to the keyboard on the Torch. I wish RIM would re-launch that beast with updated everything. For that, I would give up my Torch.
    Same here. Love it, but, would give it up for that device in a second.
    12-03-10 04:48 PM
    I may be wrong but didn't CX mention a touchscreen, physical keyboard, trackpad RIM device with QNX recently? Definitely beats a Moto Droid exploding in your ear.
    12-03-10 10:46 PM
    I've owned both the 9700, 9800 and soon a 9780. I can only speak for my experience with the devices that I have personally owned and used. I thought the 9700 was a very solid, stable device. Of course at its initial release as with any new device there are issues, bugs etc. I think the 9700 is a great device, it was very dependable and I consider myself a fairly heavy user of data, i had no issues with battery life. Now on to the 9800, there are a lot of features that I really like about this device, touch screen, swiping between emails, pinch zoom, and honestly, I have no battery life issues to complain about. As far as my negative findings on the Torch, I find the touch screen keyboard rather cramped and difficult to type on with any degree of speed and accuracy. Now, I'm not saying its a poor design on the part of RIM and AT&T, but probably just my fat thumbs Again this just my own experience. I still continue to use it with the thought that the more I use use it the better I will become. As far as the actual physical keyboard, I think the flat keys make it a little more difficult to use when compared to the raised keys on other devices. Don't get me wrong, I like the Torch, but at the same time, I'm looking forward to trying out the 9780 as well.

I would suggest if you have the opprtunity to try each device and use it as you would normally and do your own side by comparison to see what works best for your needs. At leaast for anyway, I find myself constantly switching back and forth between devices all the time. Hope you find what you need, and Happy Holidays to ya.
    Nice overview dude
    12-04-10 12:42 AM

Great advice for those willing to try the Torch for more than a week but I will have to disagree on the flatter keys which help me go faster as I have kept after it for almost four months. We are in total agreement on personal experience and testing to see it if it meets your needs. If the Torch is not for you, it is better to find out then. If you decide to try it, do so for more than a week.
    12-04-10 07:47 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD