In terms of specs and features wich one is better, ie speed web browsing, camera quality, call quality, screen display...
    I need some lights to choose the one i will pick this christmas......
    Thanks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-01-10 01:37 PM
    They are pretty comparable except for the following;

Torch
    1) Larger Screen
    2) Touchscreen
    3) Virtual Keyboard
    4) Better physical Keyboard.

1) No touchscreen
    2) Larger battery

Having owned a 9700, I cannot imagine going back.
    12-01-10 03:32 PM
    Obvious ones as well are the fact that the Torch is a slider and is a bit heavier.
    12-01-10 03:33 PM
    JCP the better physical keyboard point is debatable. I would say they are both good and you will become equally as good with either. Other than that I would say the 9780 is more durable as there is no slider mechanism. I still love the torch and the touch screen really is worth it.
    12-01-10 03:37 PM
    Having owned a 9700, I cannot imagine going back.[/QUOTE]

????why do you say that??
    its a downgrade leaving the 9700 for the torch???

Also one of the points that makes me having doubts regarding the torch is the battery life...im a heavy user (i almost have to charge my 9700 everynight).
    i read that torch battery was almost equal as the 9000 ( and when i had the 9000 i had to charge it almost 2 times a day!!!especially using 3G) and also that 9780 and 9700 are more buisiness friendly then the torch...but the torch has the screen size i want!!!

Probably i will get the torch..and if i dont like i will sell it
    12-01-10 03:53 PM
    Having the touchscreen, trackpad and keyboard make for more precise and enjoyable navigation. You don't need all the keyboard shortcuts when browsing. You can just swipe up/down and left/right. Double-tap to shrink or zoom in. Pinch to zoom is available as well. You can swipe between emails. I find that my productivity and messaging capabilities are better.

The battery life is more than adequate to meet the most demanding users. I can go 36 - 40 hours between charges with fairly heavy use.

Give the Torch a try for as much of the buyers remorse window as you can tolerate.

Yes, In some ways, going back to a non-touchscreen phone would be awkward at best. OS 6 realizes its full potential more fully on a touchscreen phone, IMO.

The keyboard is a matter of opinion obviously but the more time that I spend on the Torch physical keyboard the faster I get.
    12-01-10 05:54 PM
    In terms of specs and features wich one is better, ie speed web browsing, camera quality, call quality, screen display...
    I need some lights to choose the one i will pick this christmas......
    Thanks

They are the EXACT same device and use the EXACT same hardware except the 9800 has a touchscreen which is larger and the 9800 is a slider. The user experience will be a little different because one is touch and the other isn't so you would have to see which one is better yourself.
    12-01-10 06:02 PM
    I totally agree. You can solicit all the feedback all day. Once you have had time to evaluate each one to see which one meets your needs, hopefully the Torch, give your chosen device a real workout. The availability of the touchscreen makes the whole experience more profound. That's why my 9700 has found a home with my MIL.
    12-01-10 08:45 PM
    The hardware specs are pretty much identical. What you really should consider is whether you prefer a solid candy-bar form factor with no moving parts, but with a smaller non-touch screen, or a slider phone with a large touch screen. Everything else is arguably the same.

12-01-10 09:11 PM
    They are pretty comparable except for the following;

Torch
    1) Larger Screen
    2) Touchscreen
    3) Virtual Keyboard
    4) Better physical Keyboard.

1) No touchscreen
    2) Larger battery

Having owned a 9700, I cannot imagine going back.
    Better physical keyboard???? HAHAHHAAH!! OMG please tell me you're kidding.

I've owned the Torch for a week and the ONLY thing which made me return that crappy phone was the flat keyboard!! Because the keys are too flat you never know if you're typing an H or a J, and so forth! And the clicking feel of the keyboard is very cheap compared to the sturdy 9700 & 9780. The Torch has a very cheap feel to it when you slide the phone up and down. After a while you will notice it starts to get loose.

Battery life......complete failure! People were telling me to turn off 3G, do this, do that! Well NO THANK YOU! I buy an expensive phone to use all its features to the max! No to turn off stuff! heh

If you own a Torch, doesn't mean you need to deviate from the truth and mislead others!

The Torch has the best screen, and camera (side by side offcourse with the 9780).

The 9780 has the best battery, awesome keyboard (not best, but Awesome, the Curve series has the best keyboards), fast performance.

So there you go. An honest unbiased opinion from a 9700 user!
    12-02-10 12:14 AM
    An honest unbiased opinion from a 9700 user!
    That's the funniest crap i've heard today! If anything, that post if filled with bias Ibrahim.

@OP - gotta try out both to actually compare it. find what you want in terms of physical form factor, as they are completely different. touchscreen? both come with os 6 already.
    WolfmanRobby likes this.
    12-02-10 12:54 AM
    arabs are funny...
    12-02-10 01:03 AM
    That's the funniest crap i've heard today! If anything, that post if filled with bias Ibrahim.

@OP - gotta try out both to actually compare it. find what you want in terms of physical form factor, as they are completely different. touchscreen? both come with os 6 already.
    How do you all know my real name?
    12-02-10 01:03 AM
    I know everything, Ibrahim Allaf.
    12-02-10 01:20 AM

Yah. OP, wait a few days and Lil' Ibrahim will change his mind regardless of the device, software, or the subject.
    12-02-10 01:21 AM
    The diff in the 9800 when I first got it and now after a few OS updates is night and day I love everything about the torch (battery,screen everything) at first the battery sucked but now its way way better the one thing I wish it had was the 9700's keyboard but that is not enough for me to go back

12-02-10 01:24 AM
    I just don't understand why you say all the time the torch screen is better?? It has the same resolution as the 9780 screen which results in pixelated icons and pixelated letters. The 9780 screen is much sharper compared to the torch. Same pixels in smaller screen..
    The keyboard is a really a nogo. The torch I was testing was really bad to type on. The space was hard to reach.
    Another thing I noticed was that some shortcuts don't work on the torch. For example when you go to messages and press c to create one. That does not work on the torch. You have to press the new message button on the screen.
    It's like with every touch device. A time waster.
    12-02-10 01:34 AM
    When I said screen I meant the size and the touch feature not the resolution

12-02-10 01:43 AM
    I just don't understand why you say all the time the torch screen is better?? It has the same resolution as the 9780 screen which results in pixelated icons and pixelated letters. The 9780 screen is much sharper compared to the torch. Same pixels in smaller screen..
    The keyboard is a really a nogo. The torch I was testing was really bad to type on. The space was hard to reach.
    Another thing I noticed was that some shortcuts don't work on the torch. For example when you go to messages and press c to create one. That does not work on the torch. You have to press the new message button on the screen.
    It's like with every touch device. A time waster.
    Actually, not one person said the Torch screen is "better". People are saying it is "larger", and i'm pretty sure you're not going to argue that. I have no issues with icons and letters being "pixelated" either.

The keyboard is, as already mentioned by mostly everyone else, a matter of personal preference. It is fruitless to try to convince others of which phone has the better one.

Shortcuts are disabled by default (in favour of Universal Search), but can be enabled.
    12-02-10 01:48 AM
    Sorry didn't mean you personally.. I ment the people in general. Bit early this morning..
    12-02-10 01:49 AM
    Sorry didn't mean you personally.. I ment the people in general. Bit early this morning..
    And who is "the people"? Obviously no one in this thread...
    12-02-10 01:51 AM
    Shortcuts are disabled because of universal search? Does that make sense? They work on the 9700 os6 and I have universal search enabled.

Not trying to convince anybody. As you said everyones personal choice. Just don't like when people praise the torch as a new great thing over the 97something.
    12-02-10 01:53 AM
    And who is "the people"? Obviously no one in this thread...
    Ok I see makes no sense discussing..
    12-02-10 01:54 AM
    Shortcuts are disabled because of universal search? Does that make sense? They work on the 9700 os6 and I have universal search enabled.

Not trying to convince anybody. As you said everyones personal choice. Just don't like when people praise the torch as a new great thing over the 97something.
    If you actually knew the phone, then you may have a greater understanding of why people praise it. The keyboard shortcuts work fine (pressing "C" in the messages screen creates a new message). That's the whole point of having a slide-out keyboard. Homescreen shortcuts are disabled because typing on the keyboard brings up universal search by default. Browser shortcuts are disabled by default, but they're there as well.

Ok I see makes no sense discussing..
    It makes no sense discussing what no one is talking about.
    12-02-10 02:20 AM
    Whats wrong with you?

Hmm.. Let me think? I know the phone because I was testing it for several hours.
    Had a Vodafone branded version. When I opened the keyboad slider und was in messages and pressed c nothing did happen. Thats a fact! If it works for you it must be the vodafone rom. Not talking about the on screen keyboard.
    12-02-10 02:27 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD