So recently - I have seen too many of these threads, and I thought it might help people if I wrote up something since I have three perspectives on these two phones, and hopefully it can help some people!

Or, maybe it just sucks.

I tried

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=566961
    12-14-10 07:47 PM
    Having had a Torch and now using a 9780 I appreciate your very in depth review.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-14-10 07:51 PM
    Good review. Went from a Torch to iPhone 4 and now using a 9780 As my phone and carry the iPhone 4 as multimedia and web browsing via Wifi.
    12-14-10 08:00 PM
    DawgMan, just tell me who to yell at within AT&T, I just upgraded my wives 8900 to a Torch, and I refuse to leave my 8900 till the 9780 is available..... We all want to know where it is!!!!!

12-14-10 08:05 PM
    DawgMan, just tell me who to yell at within AT&T, I just upgraded my wives 8900 to a Torch, and I refuse to leave my 8900 till the 9780 is available..... We all want to know where it is!!!!!

Now that is the million dollar question. I don't know anyone with RIM or AT&T.

12-14-10 08:07 PM
    Good Review, I am coming from iPhone 3GS and was between the Torch and the 9780 and ultimately decided on the Torch, after weighing a lot of options. I found your review very interesting, thanks!
    12-14-10 08:43 PM
    shamoo, very good review and you made some valid points. I'm a Torch owner and love it. The Torch does not look as serious as the traditional Bold, but when I'm in a meeting and a 50 year old man in an expensive suit pulls out his iphone, I still feel pretty good about it. When the Playbook is released I'll probably switch to the 9780 because my touchscreen addiction will still be met.
    12-14-10 08:47 PM
    Fair review but I would differ, as it appears that you are still in the cloistered world of academia, that the Torch is not a serious business device.

I think that the 9780 is a great device as having been a former 9700 owner, I can only imagine that the things that I liked about it have gotten even better. If the 9780 is for you, then great. Move onto that forum instead of using this one to reassure yourselves that you made the right decision and trying to persuade Torch owners to convert. Torch owners who did their due diligence and have owned it for an extensive period of time are happy with their choice. Live and let live. We, the happy Torch owners, regret that you chose not to keep your Torch but we don't need converting because we made the right choice to begin with.
    12-14-10 09:21 PM
    Good review. Personally I was dead set against getting anything but a "traditional" Blackberry as I had done in the past. 7100, 8700, 8300, 8310, 8900, 9000 and 9700. However I had an upgrade a week ago and threw caution to the wind and got a 9800. WOW, Im impressed. The UI kind of looks like a Berry, but this thing is powerful, and the app memory is outstanding. Webkit rocks. And I love the option of using a virtual or physical keyboard. I have not experienced (yet) an issue with the build quality, this is solid. Im sure I will get a 9780 on down the line, but right now Im really diggin' this Torch. As I said, very good review, filled with valid points.
    12-14-10 09:26 PM
    Fair review but I would differ, as it appears that you are still in the cloistered world of academia, that the Torch is not a serious business device.

I think that the 9780 is a great device as having been a former 9700 owner, I can only imagine that the things that I liked about it have gotten even better. If the 9780 is for you, then great. Move onto that forum instead of using this one to reassure yourselves that you made the right decision and trying to persuade Torch owners to convert. Torch owners who did their due diligence and have owned it for an extensive period of time are happy with their choice. Live and let live. We, the happy Torch owners, regret that you chose not to keep your Torch but we don't need converting because we made the right choice to begin with.
    I am sorry 007 if I offended you - but maybe you you mis-read or mis-understood something.

I love the Torch - and OF COURSE I believe it is a serious business device - all I said was FOR ME it is easier to e-mail quicker on the Bold. I mention that the device where I work (keyword is "I" since obviously, you work somewhere else, and you have a different view of this) is looked at a bit funny. Being a slave, every "bad" look I get effects me negatively.

Your right though, my review is from the "academia" point of view - I never said I am a super serious businessman, I said I am a college student working as an intern, you must admit, there is a huge difference.

You see, if I were an employee or would actually be respected - well I would use any phone I wanted too - sadly, I have to conform, and since every single person at this office uses a Bold - conforming is using the Bold. Once again 007, I think you misunderstood - I am not converting, I like my Torch, I dont regret my choice, and I am not sure why you say we/I chose not to keep the phone, I am using it right now!

However, you must admit, there are alot of threads popping up about what phone people should choose - I wrote this so people could read it and maybe gain some insight, and again - I apologize if you found this hurtful/offensive/mean/stupid/pointless. However, if one person found it useful, then I think I did okay.

For everyone else, thanks for the feedback and I hope it helped.
    Last edited by shamoo711; 12-14-10 at 09:34 PM.
    12-14-10 09:30 PM
    On the contrary, it was helpful and was not offensive. It was very informative. I feel that the device has been out a while and people can choose for themselves. I am glad that you like your Torch. Your review had a great number of well spoken thoughts and was not pointless.

As a business professional who has had the Torch since launch day, the touchscreen, trackpad and keyboards make multi-tasking more productive and efficient. When I have downtime, the combination of these features makes web-browsing fun and enjoyable.

My comments were not really directed at the OP but as a venting after reading so many posts by 9780 owners who ditched their Torch and feel like they need to continue to post in a Torch forum to reassure themselves that they made the right choice. By the same token, I do appreciate much of the feedback from those owners.
    12-14-10 09:42 PM
    had both of these phones. 9780 and 9800. your review is fair and realistic. people who own an 9800 are going to say its the best and vice versa for 9780 owners. your points are factual though. batter life on the 9780 is better than the torch. the speaker volume both for speaker phone but also regular voice calls is louder on the 9780. rim did and continues to have issues with the torch slider. both have pros and cons. i find the 9780 a bit quicker/snappier which only makes sense...it has the same processor and equivalent ram but does not run a touch screen. that being said the torch has a bigger screen which does make reading through emails and websites more convenient. the keyboard takes a bit to get used to but not as big of a deal as some might make it out to be. any new device will take some adjusting to. for me, better screen resolution on the torch and slightly quicker processor would leave me with nothing to complain about. but the phone as is leaves some things to be desired. not to say its bad, just could have been better. with all the hpye surrounding this phone and all the other phones launching...i do expect rim to step up their game a bit more.
    12-14-10 09:49 PM
    Oh - okay - it just felt a little bit directed at me

I understand your point of view, and I agree, honestly, I would love to use my Torch more in the office - but because I am trying to "fit in" in every possible way - I cant because the people I work for dont see it as "professional". Not my thoughts/words - theirs.

I agree, I have been seeing far too many "PICK A PHONE FOR ME!!" threads - and thats why I thought writing something like this would help some people and maybe - just maybe - slightly reduce the number of those type of threads.

Anyway, enjoy!
    12-14-10 09:49 PM
    So recently - I have seen too many of these threads, and I thought it might help people if I wrote up something since I have three perspectives on these two phones, and hopefully it can help some people!

Or, maybe it just sucks.

I tried

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=566961
    Great comparsion on the review, I can understand your point(s) of view regarding both phones.
    If I would be a designer, than I would be drawing sketches of a a phone, which isn't a slide-out, and yet features a physical keyboard and touchscreen at the same time, while having the processing power of at least the Torch, (more would be better) , and has an improved battery life.

edit: Actually that phone "may" already exist, although not from RIM..and neither Apple and that leaves you with one more option, it's only drawback is that it's not a BB although looks awfully similar.
    Last edited by Shodan775; 12-14-10 at 11:06 PM.
    12-14-10 10:55 PM
    really good review,, its kind of lets me see the "pro's" and "cons" of both phones and work out what issues you've found that might affect my requirements of a phone.
    As I've posted in a few threads -I'm still sitting on the fence and not made my choice just yet BUT swaying more towards the the 9800 over the 9780 at this time , I've ruled out the 9105 now.
    Garry
    12-15-10 02:43 PM
    edit: Actually that phone "may" already exist, although not from RIM..and neither Apple and that leaves you with one more option, it's only drawback is that it's not a BB although looks awfully similar.
    Looks... and that is all.
    12-15-10 02:54 PM
    Actually.....(just my 2 cents)....I love the Torch for business use. It can sit on any desk, and i can just tap it to open and read an email, and all the other apps that I need. I find that with my BOLD I have to pick it up to do these things. Also the screen size really comes in handy when reading and navigating through emails. Its very easy to select multiple emails on the Torch and then "mark as read" or delete. Typing a few words is very fast on the touch screen, but for anything longer, I have gotten very fast at shooting the screen up and blasting out a long email on the physical keyboard. Again, just my perspective as a business user really loving the Torch.
    12-15-10 03:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD