Yes, it is a joke. OS6 is a joke too.
    Nah..the only joke here is you. Now put it back in your pants and get your mom to make me a sandwich.
    09-19-10 05:22 PM
    Nah..the only joke here is you. Now put it back in your pants and get your mom to make me a sandwich.
    I would respond, but I see that you have a 9530. You've suffered enough.
    09-19-10 05:56 PM
    I don't find the 624mhz processor to be slow. not sure what my 9000 has but it's fast enough. I have no problems.
    the 9000 has the same processor 624 like the 9700 and the torch.
    09-19-10 05:58 PM
    It's not as simple as that. The "Faster frequencies = lower battery life" mantra is only correct if you're talking about the same CPU made on the same manufacturing process.

Time marches on and technology improves. Since the introduction of the Marvell CPU in the Torch, there have been generational improvements in both architecture and manufacturing process. Newer CPUs can do more per clock cycle since with the introduction of the Cortex-A8, ARM processors of that generation and forward have had superscalar capability. Furthermore, there have been improvements in the manufacturing process that yields low cost ARM CPUs on 45nm process. The smaller process allows for the manufacture of smaller transistors. Basically, that means you can make faster CPUs while using less power.

Think about it, an original 8086 CPU had about 20,000 transistors. A current generation quad core i7 CPU package has about 700 million transistors. The CPU package certainly isn't 3000 times larger or consumes 3000 times the power. The manufacturing process has obviously improved drastically in almost 30 years as transistor size has gotten much smaller.

In the 4th quarter, another generational improvement in manufacturing process is expected as newer OMAP CPUs go to 32nm. That will allow dual core ARM CPUs to use the approximately the same amount of power as current OMAP CPUs clocked at the same speed. Also, out of order execution is going to be introduced in the next ARM processor, that should also add a significant bump to MIPS.

RIM used an older tech that consumes more power than it needs to if they had used a newer CPU. They could have used a newer CPU that either uses less power, or can clock higher while using the same amount of power. They chose not to for some reason. It's no big deal though. It's not like Torch has bad battery life. It lags a little, but otherwise it's a fine phone and more than enough or most tasks.
    what i will like to see rim does is to use a architecture that adjusts cpu speed as needed, this will mean to clock pass 1gig hz you will either have to be multi tasking more than 5 apps while streaming online video, dling a file from the internet while on the phone etc, this will indeed save loads of power since most people dont do this kind of tasking all the time. on the torch i dont feel any lags only in bandwidth the phone moves fast enough but it can do with a boost mode in the cpu, for when your video camera is out or camera is out. and slows down when any of these are working to consume power the 1200mahr battery is not as big as the 1500mahr but stands up quite well.
    09-19-10 06:13 PM
    Welcome to the US of A. The American Dream is this. We get 700 free minutes for our family plan. But that includes both outgoing and incoming calls. So if you go over. You'll pay those extra minutes. Although to be fair we have nights and weekends FREE.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    You also carry over the minutes you don't use to the next cycle, thanks to the acquisition of Cingular. All ya gotta do is get your wife and kids to not LIVE on their cell phones all day. Give 'em unlimited texting ... they can't be yapping while they're texting!

As for the 624mhz processor, it's working just fine on mine.
    09-19-10 06:43 PM
    I would respond, but I see that you have a 9530. You've suffered enough.
    This actually made me chuckle

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-19-10 08:58 PM
    624 Mhz processor is a joke!
    So are pointless threads like this...
    09-20-10 11:22 AM
    So are pointless threads like this...
    yeah... pretty much a dime a dozen around here..
    09-20-10 12:04 PM
    Boy you guys have never been down the Nokia road.
    09-20-10 02:11 PM
    This should really be called a "Whine List!"
    09-20-10 03:34 PM
310 ... 111213
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD