Send about 50 texts and browsed the web for an hour. Sent about 7 or so emails as well. Had Pandora streaming for over 45 min and a total of 20min worth of phone calls. Motorola Android devices get incredible battery life. I have no reason to make this up.
    Don't blame me for doubting you, I do read about contradictions in other forums regarding battery life for Android devices. If it's really true only the consumer benefits, it's a good thing so I don't see why people are arguing about this. It could be a legitimate factor for me when I'm comparing a BB to an Android device come end of my contract.

Maybe I'm gullible, but I keep an open mind and my eyes wide to evaluate the products I'm going to splurge my precious cash on.
    09-12-10 10:22 PM
    Don't blame me for doubting you, I do read about contradictions in other forums regarding battery life for Android devices. If it's really true only the consumer benefits, it's a good thing so I don't see why people are arguing about this. It could be a legitimate factor for me when I'm comparing a BB to an Android device come end of my contract.

Maybe I'm gullible, but I keep an open mind and my eyes wide to evaluate the products I'm going to splurge my precious cash on.
    I understand. Most Android devices do have terrible battery life. Not running through a NOC and having the device do everything by itself puts some strain on the battery. Specifically HTC has the worst. Motorola devices have the best out of all of them. The Dell Streak is suppose to have great battery life as well.
    09-12-10 10:28 PM
    Ok, let's get back to the point here, we're not talking security or even data efficiency, we're talking battery life and you agree iphone and android push email is a battery killer and blackberry push email is the opposite.
    Surely in a head to head battery test you have to include a standby test, which any blackberry would win hands down and then calculate the average overall.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Here's the thing you're missing about EAS vs. BES. I will give it to you that BES is much more energy efficient. I will even give it to you that it uses less than half the power of EAS, or even a third or a quarter. Who knows, maybe it's only a fifth or a hundredth, maybe even less. I'll give that to BES.

SO WHAT?

That's not where battery consumption is a major factor in a smartphone. All smartphones have standby times in the 200-300+ hours. That's assuming you don't do anything with the phone, like read the emails, make phone calls, or browse the internet, or listen to music, or watch videos. It's those activities that consume the bulk of the battery life, not having emails pushed to it.

I'll post this yet again. These are test performed by Anandtech, a pretty well known and respected tech review site.

If you look at the graphs, you'll see iPhone 4 outperforms Torch in ALL categories, even with a faster CPU, a GPU, and a higher resolution screen.

Torch barely beats Droid X in 2 categories and gets beaten by over 25% in the other. Again, the Droid X has a faster CPU, a GPU, and a higher resolution and larger screen.

Statements about bad battery life on Droid and iPhone are seriously misinformed comments.

BlackBerry Torch 9800 Review: Keeping RIM's Flame Alive - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

Last edited by Roo Zilla; 09-12-10 at 10:58 PM.
    09-12-10 10:40 PM
    Well, I'm not making things up. I live in my country, you know.

Take a read here.

I pay close to SGD 40 for the same voice/text but only 1 GB of data. This is what I have to pay for using BIS. The prices you see on the charts under VAS and Blackberry Plan are not inclusive of voice/text.
    Ok, my bad, but man do they give you with one hand and they take with the other. Only 100 minutes included? The standard in UK is about 500 minutes to any network and usually unlimited to land line or same network.
    With a blackberry you'll never use more then 1GB though, I've never been over 500mb

09-13-10 05:02 AM
    Here's the thing you're missing about EAS vs. BES. I will give it to you that BES is much more energy efficient. I will even give it to you that it uses less than half the power of EAS, or even a third or a quarter. Who knows, maybe it's only a fifth or a hundredth, maybe even less. I'll give that to BES.

SO WHAT?

That's not where battery consumption is a major factor in a smartphone. All smartphones have standby times in the 200-300+ hours. That's assuming you don't do anything with the phone, like read the emails, make phone calls, or browse the internet, or listen to music, or watch videos. It's those activities that consume the bulk of the battery life, not having emails pushed to it.

I'll post this yet again. These are test performed by Anandtech, a pretty well known and respected tech review site.

If you look at the graphs, you'll see iPhone 4 outperforms Torch in ALL categories, even with a faster CPU, a GPU, and a higher resolution screen.

Torch barely beats Droid X in 2 categories and gets beaten by over 25% in the other. Again, the Droid X has a faster CPU, a GPU, and a higher resolution and larger screen.

Statements about bad battery life on Droid and iPhone are seriously misinformed comments.

BlackBerry Torch 9800 Review: Keeping RIM's Flame Alive - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

Do we really need these charts back again? Yes, if you do the exact same thing over and over until the battery dies, iPhone is better. If you have charts that show somebody using each phone about as much in a real life setting with the battery life then please show us, but not these charts that don't say anything to real life.
    09-13-10 11:01 AM
    Lol whatever man. No sense arguing with you. Waste of my time. Poetic? lol ok. No one said unending battery life. Sorry there are devices that can actually compete in the battery department.
    Just leave it alone Ant.. I know you're a long time BlackBerry user and that you're no troll. It's ok to give your opinion my friend.

These battery arguments are getting pretty old. I hate the ip4,but i did test it out for a few days and was very impressed with the battery life..just hated the rest. Im not surprised when Crucial_Extreme says his ip4 kills the Torch in battery life, i most definitely believe him, but i would still take the Torch over the iphone anyday. And for what's its worth, i very easily get thru a whole day without charge with my Vibrant and i consider myself a heavy user so you Android battery bashers...
    find something else. Is it as good as my 9700....no it isn't but even if i had to charge it 3 times a day i would still buy it,that's how much i like it. Some people are very light users and battery life isn't a concern. All i hear is how good battery life is on a blackberry and others are bad while i think BB's have alot more to offer than just good battery. If the ip4 's battery could last a week without charge, i still wouldn't buy it but i will buy an Android device even if it only lasts half a day and i would most certainly buy another Blackberry again.

Thanks. I wouldn't say the i4 had better battery life if it didn't. Everyone must understand that the 9800 has basically the exact same internals(hardware) as the 9700, a bigger screen, more complicated firmware yet has a smaller battery than said 9700. Thus worse power management. However, much Dev has went into power management on the 9800 and with Bundle 555 it has gotten better than earlier versions. What's most important is that RIM is constantly Developing it's firmware and power management will get better... ))
    09-13-10 11:18 AM
    Do we really need these charts back again? Yes, if you do the exact same thing over and over until the battery dies, iPhone is better. If you have charts that show somebody using each phone about as much in a real life setting with the battery life then please show us, but not these charts that don't say anything to real life.
    Real life usage reflects the charts. Anecdotal evidence from people who own multiple devices have stated more or less the same. Crucial_Xtreme says his i4 outlasts his Torch, and many others who have tried both have stated the same. I don't understand why you think the charts are wrong. If one phone has longer usage in all three major power drainage categories, you would think it's pretty safe to assume it will last longer in real life usage too.

If I use my i4 like I used to use my 9000, I can easily get 2-3 days out of it. I don't though, I constantly browse, make phone calls, watch videos, play games, listen to music and other stuff and thus I get less than a day on a full charge. When I had my 9000, all I did was look at and answer emails and make phone calls and some brickbreaker every now and then. Pretty easy to get 3 days if you don't do much with a smartphone.
    09-13-10 11:38 AM
    Ok, my bad, but man do they give you with one hand and they take with the other. Only 100 minutes included? The standard in UK is about 500 minutes to any network and usually unlimited to land line or same network.
    With a blackberry you'll never use more then 1GB though, I've never been over 500mb

It depends on what you do with the device. With my 9000, I reached over 1GB several times. Streaming and tethering uses a ton of data.

Unless you were just talking about BBM/Email, that it is much harder to use a lot of data on a BB.

Just leave it alone Ant.. I know you're a long time BlackBerry user and that you're no troll. It's ok to give your opinion my friend.
    Hey thanks Jason, glad to see it's "ok" by someone, especially you to participate. How've you been?
    09-13-10 12:38 PM
    Real life usage reflects the charts. Anecdotal evidence from people who own multiple devices have stated more or less the same. Crucial_Xtreme says his i4 outlasts his Torch, and many others who have tried both have stated the same. I don't understand why you think the charts are wrong. If one phone has longer usage in all three major power drainage categories, you would think it's pretty safe to assume it will last longer in real life usage too.

If I use my i4 like I used to use my 9000, I can easily get 2-3 days out of it. I don't though, I constantly browse, make phone calls, watch videos, play games, listen to music and other stuff and thus I get less than a day on a full charge. When I had my 9000, all I did was look at and answer emails and make phone calls and some brickbreaker every now and then. Pretty easy to get 3 days if you don't do much with a smartphone.
    The charts are wrong because they don't include a standby test to complete them and also they don't take into account the actual touching of the screen which I'm pretty sure uses power and I'm sure they differ from one device to another. Torch browser can be refreshed by just pressing R. Also were they all set up for push email? Also the light setting, don't know about the others but if a blackberry is used in strong light the screen will be brighter no matter what percentage you set it at. It's things like this that are missing from the test.

09-13-10 12:40 PM
    The charts are wrong because they don't include a standby test to complete them and also they don't take into account the actual touching of the screen which I'm pretty sure uses power and I'm sure they differ from one device to another. Torch browser can be refreshed by just pressing R. Also were they all set up for push email? Also the light setting, don't know about the others but if a blackberry is used in strong light the screen will be brighter no matter what percentage you set it at. It's things like this that are missing from the test.

Whatever man. If you don't want to believe professional testers and anecdotal evidence saying the same (one even from a self professed iPhone hater and another from a moderator), then go ahead. You're view on this topic though is not really conforming with reality.
    09-13-10 01:15 PM
    I say people if you love the phone then you love the phone and vice versa for people who hate it.
    People are entitled to their opinion, but don't waste your time arguing about it.
    The only thing you get out of it is unnecessary anger and you post count goes up lol.
    For me I can't wait for the phone and im sure I'll enjoy it too.

To each his/her own.
    09-13-10 01:30 PM
    I look at this as the clock junkies going Whaaaaa!
    Can't wait till someone figures out how to overclock to 5Ghz!!!!!

Faster frequecies = lower battery life

09-13-10 02:23 PM
    I look at this as the clock junkies going Whaaaaa!
    Can't wait till someone figures out how to overclock to 5Ghz!!!!!

Faster frequecies = lower battery life

It's not as simple as that. The "Faster frequencies = lower battery life" mantra is only correct if you're talking about the same CPU made on the same manufacturing process.

Time marches on and technology improves. Since the introduction of the Marvell CPU in the Torch, there have been generational improvements in both architecture and manufacturing process. Newer CPUs can do more per clock cycle since with the introduction of the Cortex-A8, ARM processors of that generation and forward have had superscalar capability. Furthermore, there have been improvements in the manufacturing process that yields low cost ARM CPUs on 45nm process. The smaller process allows for the manufacture of smaller transistors. Basically, that means you can make faster CPUs while using less power.

Think about it, an original 8086 CPU had about 20,000 transistors. A current generation quad core i7 CPU package has about 700 million transistors. The CPU package certainly isn't 3000 times larger or consumes 3000 times the power. The manufacturing process has obviously improved drastically in almost 30 years as transistor size has gotten much smaller.

In the 4th quarter, another generational improvement in manufacturing process is expected as newer OMAP CPUs go to 32nm. That will allow dual core ARM CPUs to use the approximately the same amount of power as current OMAP CPUs clocked at the same speed. Also, out of order execution is going to be introduced in the next ARM processor, that should also add a significant bump to MIPS.

RIM used an older tech that consumes more power than it needs to if they had used a newer CPU. They could have used a newer CPU that either uses less power, or can clock higher while using the same amount of power. They chose not to for some reason. It's no big deal though. It's not like Torch has bad battery life. It lags a little, but otherwise it's a fine phone and more than enough or most tasks.
    09-13-10 03:30 PM
    One ghz hands down
    09-13-10 04:19 PM
    Thanks. I wouldn't say the i4 had better battery life if it didn't. Everyone must understand that the 9800 has basically the exact same internals(hardware) as the 9700, a bigger screen, more complicated firmware yet has a smaller battery than said 9700. Thus worse power management. However, much Dev has went into power management on the 9800 and with Bundle 555 it has gotten better than earlier versions. What's most important is that RIM is constantly Developing it's firmware and power management will get better... ))
    You're welcome C_X. I know you always speak the truth, and find your posts very informative. I just think that any smartphone that can last a hole day without charge is pretty good to me. Judging from the comments .214 seems to already have made a huge improvement on the Torch, can just imagine what's coming next.

09-13-10 08:59 PM

Well we do have free incoming calls so I guess that's somewhat close to unlimited. That is why SMS is so popular here.

True, I've never been over 1GB but that's because I hold back on the streaming. If I had 12GB I would let loose the flood gates and stream videos whenever I could. Actually, no, that's not the kind of life I want. I prefer to read whenever I have the time.
    09-14-10 02:29 PM
    Well we do have free incoming calls so I guess that's somewhat close to unlimited. That is why SMS is so popular here.

True, I've never been over 1GB but that's because I hold back on the streaming. If I had 12GB I would let loose the flood gates and stream videos whenever I could. Actually, no, that's not the kind of life I want. I prefer to read whenever I have the time.
    Lol, free incoming calls? I've never heard of charges for incoming calls except when roaming.

09-14-10 03:15 PM
    Lol, free incoming calls? I've never heard of charges for incoming calls except when roaming.

Welcome to the US of A. The American Dream is this. We get 700 free minutes for our family plan. But that includes both outgoing and incoming calls. So if you go over. You'll pay those extra minutes. Although to be fair we have nights and weekends FREE.

09-14-10 05:16 PM
    Welcome to the US of A. The American Dream is this. We get 700 free minutes for our family plan. But that includes both outgoing and incoming calls. So if you go over. You'll pay those extra minutes. Although to be fair we have nights and weekends FREE.

Lol, in UK and the rest of Europe there are no charges for incoming calls. I got my first mobile phone in 1997 if I remember right and there were no charges for incoming calls either. Some go even further, they actually give you credit every time you have an incoming call.
    That was a cool wee phone, Alcatel, had an alarm and you could put 3 AA batteries in it if you ran out of juice.

09-15-10 02:23 AM
    Apparently we live in very different countries. Stuff IS expensive around here.
    09-15-10 05:30 AM
    Apparently we live in very different countries. Stuff IS expensive around here.
    Lol, my first mobile phone was in Romania.

09-15-10 06:06 AM

How true, there's no way these can be accurate tests unless they have tests with a) all phones at their maximum battery saver settings b) all phones set to guzzle c) all phones at factory settings and d) all phones with the most common setting changes applied. For all we know these tests were done with the iPhone screen at %0 backlight (if you can even set it that low) with no apps downloaded and the torch at full backlight in sunlight with 10 apps running in the background... (including sonic!)
    09-19-10 04:59 PM
    Well i guess the bold 9650 with 528mhz is a joke also, but OS6 seems to be running pretty well on it.
    09-19-10 05:05 PM
    Well i guess the bold 9650 with 528mhz is a joke also, but OS6 seems to be running pretty well on it.
    Yes, it is a joke. OS6 is a joke too.
    09-19-10 05:13 PM
    Warning: Don't feed the troll.
    09-19-10 05:18 PM
310 ... 10111213
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD