Ok, fair enough, but this test is not including a standby test and is completely ignoring Rim's push service. How about a test with iphone and androids pulling emails every 5 minutes against Torch push and send an equal amount of emails to all. It's the overall duration that count, after all, who does only one thing with their mobile for hours non stop.
    Also, not sure about the screen light set at 50%, blackberrys tend to brighten the screen in stronger light to make sure you can read it no matter at what percentage you set it at.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Exactly! These reports are just garbage marketing material, and it's the meat heads that base their purchase decisions on info like this that are the suckers.
    09-11-10 08:56 AM
    Ok, fair enough, but this test is not including a standby test and is completely ignoring Rim's push service. How about a test with iphone and androids pulling emails every 5 minutes against Torch push and send an equal amount of emails to all. It's the overall duration that count, after all, who does only one thing with their mobile for hours non stop.
    Also, not sure about the screen light set at 50%, blackberrys tend to brighten the screen in stronger light to make sure you can read it no matter at what percentage you set it at.

Why would you have Iphone and Android pulling when they support push?

You could argue the point with any battery test but the battery on Android/Iphones can be equivelent or better than the torch.

The whole low speed processor = good battery life arguement holds no water anymore.

The newer processors offer a massive speed and battery jump because of the lower voltages and massively more efficent design vs the old school 65m processors.
    09-11-10 09:02 AM
    Exactly! These reports are just garbage marketing material, and it's the meat heads that base their purchase decisions on info like this that are the suckers.
    Could you have gotten that anymore wrong? (I'm not sure but you'd have to try hard!)
    09-11-10 09:03 AM
    Why would you have Iphone and Android pulling when they support push?

You could argue the point with any battery test but the battery on Android/Iphones can be equivelent or better than the torch.

The whole low speed processor = good battery life arguement holds no water anymore.

The newer processors offer a massive speed and battery jump because of the lower voltages and massively more efficent design vs the old school 65m processors.
    No they don't, Android only has push for Gmail and Iphone only has push with exchange or mobileme, both cost extra.

09-11-10 09:05 AM
    Could you have gotten that anymore wrong? (I'm not sure but you'd have to try hard!)
    Lee, would you care to elaborate? And please keep in mind that I'm not at all interesting in getting into an internet pissing match with you. All I'm saying is that there's no doubt that newer generation BlackBerry's (I can't speak for the older ones because I don't know) clearly have better battery life. I don't know why people keep arguing that point. I've got numerous friends and colleagues with IP4's and 3GS that would be the first to admit that.
    09-11-10 09:10 AM
    No they don't, Android only has push for Gmail and Iphone only has push with exchange or mobileme, both cost extra.

Android does have push for Gmail and EAS.

The Iphone also uses Gmail sync which is push.
    Push Gmail for iPhone and Windows Mobile - Official Gmail Blog

Also EAS is extremly common.
    09-11-10 09:12 AM
    Android does have push for Gmail and EAS.

The Iphone also uses Gmail sync which is push.
    Push Gmail for iPhone and Windows Mobile - Official Gmail Blog

Also EAS is extremly common.

Lol, don't know what EAS is but I can only say they have selective push.
    Do they push yahoo, hotmail, live.com, aol etc or your own domain email? No they don't. To say that they have push because the push gmail is very very misleading.

09-11-10 09:17 AM
    Lee, would you care to elaborate? And please keep in mind that I'm not at all interesting in getting into an internet pissing match with you. All I'm saying is that there's no doubt that newer generation BlackBerry's (I can't speak for the older ones because I don't know) clearly have better battery life. I don't know why people keep arguing that point. I've got numerous friends and colleagues with IP4's and 3GS that would be the first to admit that.
    If we are to avoid rumors and friends with phones we should base our opinion on fact.

The report I linked to is a independent company of any of the platforms. They carry out real world tests and offer a balanced opinion. If you take the time to read their reports that have bashed all platforms for different reasons.

I see you mentioned the 3GS too, that device has noticeably worse battery life than the Torch and Iphone4.

Battery life does improve as processors become more efficent otherwise we would all still be wondering around with car like batteries like the first mobile phones.
    09-11-10 09:17 AM
    Lol, don't know what EAS is but I can only say they have selective push.
    Do they push yahoo, hotmail, live.com, aol etc or your own domain email? No they don't. To say that they have push because the push gmail is very very misleading.

EAS = Exchange Active Sync.

What is misleading is to believe that your BB has true push by that measure.

You have to add your accounts to the BIS service, this is no different than pushing email through a push facility like Gmail.

There's really nothing misleading here.
    09-11-10 09:20 AM
    If we are to avoid rumors and friends with phones we should base our opinion on fact.

The report I linked to is a independent company of any of the platforms. They carry out real world tests and offer a balanced opinion. If you take the time to read their reports that have bashed all platforms for different reasons.

I see you mentioned the 3GS too, that device has noticeably worse battery life than the Torch and Iphone4.

Battery life does improve as processors become more efficent otherwise we would all still be wondering around with car like batteries like the first mobile phones.

Well clearly we both have our opinions and wont be swayed. So just out of curiosity, do you believe your 9700 has inferior battery life than a IP4?
    09-11-10 09:24 AM
    Well clearly we both have our opinions and wont be swayed. So just out of curiosity, do you believe your 9700 has inferior battery life than a IP4?
    I've got a torch too.

Battery life goes like this out of the 3. 9700 - Iphone4 - Torch.

It's all dependent on usage really, I've got enough experience to know how to kill the battery on any of them but credit where it's due to create very decent battery life like they've done on the Iphone4 is a huge task.

The 9700 is still my fav device for work stuff. I just pick it up, get stuff done and then put it down. It's all very efficent.
    09-11-10 09:28 AM
    EAS = Exchange Active Sync.

What is misleading is to believe that your BB has true push by that measure.

You have to add your accounts to the BIS service, this is no different than pushing email through a push facility like Gmail.

There's really nothing misleading here.
    Yes it is again, the only way to do that is to have all your other email accounts forwarded to your gmail account, if you set gmail to pull your other email accounts you'll only get them every 15 minutes or longer, I have tried that.

I can't believe you're seriously comparing that to BIS, which is simple and very efficient.
    What you are describing is a workaround.

09-11-10 09:29 AM
    The battery tests are just like political polls. You structure the question to get the answer you want. Always remember: Figures don't lie but liars do figure.
    09-11-10 09:29 AM
    Yes it is again, the only way to do that is to have all your other email accounts forwarded to your gmail account, if you set gmail to pull your other email accounts you'll only get them every 15 minutes or longer, I have tried that.

I can't believe you're seriously comparing that to BIS, which is simple and very efficient.
    What you are describing is a workaround.

Honestly I don't mean this to sound offensive but really if you see the bigger picture they are doing exactly the same thing. Plus theres ton's of other push services out there for Android and the Iphone.

As for the 15 min wait, I'm guess you were using pull and not push.

I use all of the platforms and my Gmail account pushes just as fast as BIS/BES does.

Anyway I'm happy to agree to disagree, both methods work just fine and moving back to the battery topic it tends to be devices running pull as opposed to push (regardless of platform) tend to use less battery anyway.

I'm a RIM advocate, I'm just trying to offer a balanced opinion on the subject.
    09-11-10 09:35 AM
    So then Lee you're agreeing with me. All I was saying was that those tests were not a true representation of true battery performance. The results say the IP4 lasts longer than the Torch , and you're saying that's not what you experience.
    Found another flaw in this test and it's a big one, the browser test take out of the equation the actual touching of the screen as they are using a special page that loads different pages on a loop. Even, let's say, if you would refresh the same page over and over again, you would have to touch the screen, on the Torch all you have to do is press R.

09-11-10 09:38 AM
    Found another flaw in this test and it's a big one, the browser test take out of the equation the actual touching of the screen as they are using a special page that loads different pages on a loop. Even, let's say, if you would refresh the same page over and over again, you would have to touch the screen, on the Torch all you have to do is press R.

Come on man don't be ridiculous.

Do you really think torching the screen and press the R key is going to yield a huge difference? And not only that most torch users will be touching the screen!

That's it, I'm out.
    09-11-10 09:42 AM
    Honestly I don't mean this to sound offensive but really if you see the bigger picture they are doing exactly the same thing. Plus theres ton's of other push services out there for Android and the Iphone.

As for the 15 min wait, I'm guess you were using pull and not push.

I use all of the platforms and my Gmail account pushes just as fast as BIS/BES does.

Anyway I'm happy to agree to disagree, both methods work just fine and moving back to the battery topic it tends to be devices running pull as opposed to push (regardless of platform) tend to use less battery anyway.

I'm a RIM advocate, I'm just trying to offer a balanced opinion on the subject.
    You lost me here, pull uses less battery then push? Are you serious?

09-11-10 09:50 AM
    Come on man don't be ridiculous.

Do you really think torching the screen and press the R key is going to yield a huge difference? And not only that most torch users will be touching the screen!

That's it, I'm out.
    If you do it every 30 seconds for 5 hours non stop yes it will. Anyway, not all screens are the same, I'm sure some are more efficient then others, I just think excluding that factor out of the test is a pretty big flaw.

09-11-10 09:54 AM
    You lost me here, pull uses less battery then push? Are you serious?

I am no engineer but using common sense i would agree with ur statement; there is no way push uses more battery than pull.
    09-11-10 10:39 AM
    I am no engineer but using common sense i would agree with ur statement; there is no way push uses more battery than pull.
    Back in the early days of push for Iphone and other devices the batteries weren't so good so a lot went back to a 15 or 30 minute pull. Now most just leave push running.

It's quite simple, the less time the device spends checking for mail or leaving a connection open, the less data and of course battery is used.

I still know lots of non BB folk and companies who use pull intervals for improved battery life.

Now if there is one thing RIM have been good at, it's making push efficent not only on battery but also on data usage.
    09-11-10 10:49 AM
    Back in the early days of push for Iphone and other devices the batteries weren't so good so a lot went back to a 15 or 30 minute pull. Now most just leave push running.

It's quite simple, the less time the device spends checking for mail or leaving a connection open, the less data and of course battery is used.

I still know lots of non BB folk and companies who use pull intervals for improved battery life.

Now if there is one thing RIM have been good at, it's making push efficent not only on battery but also on data usage.
    Somebody more technical please shed some light over this push email thing once and for all.
    I don't know much but my logic tells me if you have to leave push running on a phone it's not really push, maybe only tries to simulate it.
    I know with blackberry is simple, the Rim server has some sort of direct connection with the email servers and when it detects a new email it sends it to your blackberry. No new emails, no data being used, no checks being done.
    I just don't see how pull could ever be more battery friendly checking every 10 minutes even if there's no new emails.
    And please, don't involve exchange as very few consumers will ever pay for that.
    I'm a business owner and I wouldn't pay for it.

09-11-10 11:23 AM
    What bb does well in push mail is data management. I used to run push mail on windows mobile and iphone on roaming while overseas and my phone bills on data roaming went crazy..with a bb my roaming data charges is so much cheaper..

09-11-10 11:32 AM
    Somebody more technical please shed some light over this push email thing once and for all.
    I don't know much but my logic tells me if you have to leave push running on a phone it's not really push, maybe only tries to simulate it.
    I know with blackberry is simple, the Rim server has some sort of direct connection with the email servers and when it detects a new email it sends it to your blackberry. No new emails, no data being used, no checks being done.
    I just don't see how pull could ever be more battery friendly checking every 10 minutes even if there's no new emails.
    And please, don't involve exchange as very few consumers will ever pay for that.
    I'm a business owner and I wouldn't pay for it.

I could explain it but I don't think you'd believe me.

Even Apple recommend switching off Push, see here;
    Apple - Batteries - iPhone

And another example
    iDrain No More – 10 Tips to Help Conserve iPhone Battery Life

A quick google should give you the answers to your questions.
    09-11-10 11:49 AM
    BB manages push mail much better than iphone and android. When my iphone and nexus one turned on pushmail battery drained really quick..

09-11-10 12:01 PM
    true indeed.
    09-11-10 12:05 PM
310 ... 7891011 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD