Is everyone forgetting that the iPhone 3GS has a 600 MHz processor? Some will say that's 1-2 years old, but personally I couldn't care less because my 3GS is pretty snappy. I think the 624 MHz processor will be just fine for the torch.
    Last edited by pellucida2010; 08-06-10 at 10:51 AM.
    08-06-10 10:47 AM
    ^A friend of mine has a 3GS and loaded iOS4 and it's pretty sluggish in comparison.

I think we're in the day and age where people want their devices to be future proof since many are on 2-year contracts (3-year for some Canadians. Ouch!). There's a legitimate concern in some people wanting the fastest processor at the time because I doubt that many of them can afford to just upgrade and pay ETFs every year because software updates run slow.

For me, my BB Tour became incredibly slow when I updated to 5.0 and caused more battery pulls than when I was running 4.7. I bought that in October 2009. The official VZW rollout of 5.0 was in March of 2010. That's 4-5 months after just buying it.

It would have been a nice gesture on RIM's part, imo.
    08-06-10 10:55 AM
    ^A friend of mine has a 3GS and loaded iOS4 and it's pretty sluggish in comparison.

I think we're in the day and age where people want their devices to be future proof since many are on 2-year contracts (3-year for some Canadians. Ouch!). There's a legitimate concern in some people wanting the fastest processor at the time because I doubt that many of them can afford to just upgrade and pay ETFs every year because software updates run slow.

It would have been a nice gesture on RIM's part, imo.
    Hmm, I also have iOS 4 and I never experienced any sluggishness (I also just jailbroke it, and it's taking it pretty well). However, I have heard some people experiencing sluggishness after upgrading to iOS 4. I get what you are saying.
    08-06-10 10:58 AM
    Is everyone forgetting that the iPhone 3GS has a 600 MHz processor? Some will say that's 1-2 years old, but personally I couldn't care less because my 3GS is pretty snappy. I think the 624 MHz processor will be just fine for the torch.
    iOS4 is not as snappy on it. Also, Apple writes better software than RIM (I'm not talking security). It is more polished and overall navigation through the OS is much smoother. You never see an hour glass. So comparing the two devices is kind of hard because one OS is smoother than the other.
    08-06-10 11:00 AM
    According to PCWorld magazine, august 2010 issue pg.93, the processor used is a Marvel PXA930 capable of up to 800MHz, so it is just scaled back to conserve battery power. so it's not running full bore, The phone only needs the 624 mhz.
    If it lags, a faster cpu would help. I won't try to argue that, its a nobrainer.

However, I did hear a rumor through the regular webcasts, websites and so forth hinting that the 4 gig on board memory may be enitrely dedicated to apps. Major plus and kudos to RIM for stepping up to the plate, should this pan out to be true.

It would also be (finally) a sign that RIM is stepping up its game in areas that we all agree it needs to. This increases the likelhood of it releasing a competitive device one day soon. Just pray its not too late for RIM; while 43% of RIM users don't plan on sticking with them, the data is (like it or not) way more than half (70%+) of iphone and google owners plan on sticking woth their platforms.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-06-10 11:04 AM
    Well, these devices should be seen as packages with trade-offs. It's hard to know why RIM chose this, but here are a few possible reasons.

1. It lets RIM bring out an updated OS with most of the technical work on low hanging fruit like the homescreen and social feeds
    2. A higher resolution screen might require a GPU and a scalable UI layer. Big hardware and software changes. It's much easier for RIM to work on areas that let it keep existing hardware platform
    3. A slide out keyboard makes the device thicker, so keeping it small means a smaller battery, which in turn means a slower CPU.
    4. Even an underclocked CPU may mean a different chipset and deeper work in the OS
    5. Maybe RIM is stubbornly sticking to a multiyear hardware roadmap and it just happens that this is what's out when OS 6 is ready to ship

With all that said, looking at the videos, some of the worst lag occurs when popup menus or drop downs are rendered. And for a fraction of a second you could see it in the process of rendering. This painfully reminds me of my Palm Pre, where everything was rendered in HTML. It's possible that lots of the sleeker panels and popups are rendered using webKit throughout the OS. If that's the case, those lags will be a fact of life with OS6 going forward.

All you said sound good, however, why would RIM want to jeopardize user experience by coming out with a substandard and inferior gadget. In watching the videos, my 9700 does not freeze up as much as the 9800. The videos show the phone is very sluggish.
    08-06-10 11:24 AM
    All you said sound good, however, why would RIM want to jeopardize user experience by coming out with a substandard and inferior gadget. In watching the videos, my 9700 does not freeze up as much as the 9800. The videos show the phone is very sluggish.
    I'm very much looking forward to getting my substandard and inferior device next week.
    08-06-10 11:40 AM
    What RIM need to focus on is getting more developers to make bb apps. That should improve the quality and price of bb apps. The iPhone and android apps are growing daily. Come on RIM.

08-06-10 11:52 AM
    What RIM need to focus on is getting more developers to make bb apps. That should improve the quality and price of bb apps. The iPhone and android apps are growing daily. Come on RIM.

I can surely agree with that statement.
    08-06-10 12:17 PM
    Anything under a gig will be outdated fast.

Remember the PC? Didn't we go down this same road?

624 MHz in this day and age is outdated, outmoded and
    upstaged very easily. Ask Next, ask Amiga, ask Palm etc.

RIM has got to step up to the plate to stay in the game.

Nicer phone, the 9800, but it could of been so much more "leading edge".

Tim
    08-06-10 01:20 PM

Give them a faster and more robust platform that they think
    folks will flock to and they will.

They follow the dollar and with the 8 percent loss in marke share
    just last month I would say folks aint flocking.

If the market share holds or goes down after the 9800 release
    impact is known, then RIM needs to think about its future and the
    possibility they may not be in it.

Time to shake it up RIM or get shook down!

Tim
    08-06-10 01:24 PM
    Can you give me an example of when Rim was ever first at anything hardware? Don't think so, late to have 3G, late to use memory cards, late to put a camera etc the list goes on. Didn't stop them selling loads of handsets. Why was everybody expecting them to blow them out of the water? I prefer them to use proven technology rather then new unproven one.

It's a small step for smartphone kind, huge step for blackberry.

It will work, it will sell, end of story.

08-06-10 02:17 PM
    Can you give me an example of when Rim was ever first at anything hardware? Don't think so, late to have 3G, late to use memory cards, late to put a camera etc the list goes on. Didn't stop them selling loads of handsets. Why was everybody expecting them to blow them out of the water? I prefer them to use proven technology rather then new unproven one.

It's a small step for smartphone kind, huge step for blackberry.

It will work, it will sell, end of story.

With 214, it's not a bad phone at all. I actually like mine, but you have to have 214 or its a non-starter!

It's an evolution for RIM so I give them some props for trying. I like mine and I'm gonna keep it.

They would be wise however to introduce some urgency into their product/technology development or they could end up like Palm IMO =)
    09-11-10 01:42 AM
    Torch is fast and snappy. A faster processor eats battery. I guess people likes to look at Specifications and assume a faster processor is always better.

09-11-10 04:03 AM
    As an example of faster processors offering worse battery I've included some battery performance tests.

A perfect example is the new Iphone4 and it pains me to say this.

The Iphone4's new processor is a 45m processor that is not only massively faster than the previous version but one that also offers brilliant battery life. Hats off to Apple it's a great bit of engineering.

Take a look at this for more information.

BlackBerry Torch 9800 Review: Keeping RIM's Flame Alive - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

The Iphone4 beats the 9800 in all battery life tests as do a bunch of other Android devices.

New processors can offer great performance advantages and also IMPROVED battery life.
    Last edited by lee_; 09-11-10 at 07:07 AM.
    09-11-10 06:50 AM
    in real life my iphone 4 and nexus one battery sucks big time...Torch's battery lasts much longer

09-11-10 07:34 AM
    in real life my iphone 4 and nexus one battery sucks big time...Torch's battery lasts much longer

I've got some test Android devices and also been using a Iphone4 and achieve about the same as the proper testing that was done in the graphs.

My nexus is worse than the Torch and the Iphone is better than the torch and it's that simple.

I'm a RIM fan and prefer Android to the Iphone but the Iphone is a amazing bit of engineering. To achieve such a massive performance boost in the new arcitecture and also to be able to beat most other smartphones (including the torch) in battery tests is a BIG achievement and the screen on the Iphone is ridiculously good. The nexus screen looks amazing but the Iphone screen edges it.

I don't tend to worry massively about spec's all of the time but when you're reading email or visiting sites the Iphone is very nearly (baring the Samsung devices) in a league of it's own.

For us Torch users no longer can we harp on about battery life since plenty of devices either equal it or beat it.
    09-11-10 07:41 AM
    I'm a RIM fan and prefer Android to the Iphone but the Iphone is a amazing bit of engineering. To achieve such a massive performance boost in the new arcitecture and also to be able to beat most other smartphones (including the torch) in battery tests is a BIG achievement and the screen on the Iphone is ridiculously good. The nexus screen looks amazing but the Iphone screen edges it.
    Yeah and that antenna design is also "an amazing bit of engineering." lol

I don't know why this thread was brought back to life but let me reiterate that now, especially with .214 installed, the Torch is plenty fast for me and I am not one bit concerned about the processor...for better or worse. The Torch 2 better have 1Ghz though!
    09-11-10 08:00 AM
    Yeah and that antenna design is also "an amazing bit of engineering." lol

I don't know why this thread was brought back to life but let me reiterate that now, especially with .214 installed, the Torch is plenty fast for me and I am not one bit concerned about the processor...for better or worse. The Torch 2 better have 1Ghz though!
    I find the whole antenna issue fascinating.

So here we have a company that has built it's entire reputation on doing fabulous bits of tech. Like Apple or not the engineering is usually grade A.

They have single handedly re-invented the mobile market and driven innovation although it looks like Google have now arguably passed them by and they let a flawed product out of the doors. I can only suspect it must have been late in the day when they realised they had a problem and took a call to not try to fix it but even if that was the case they could have manipulated IOS4 to hide it, so what really happened is an unknown.

Pushing the antenna issue aside, the Iphone4 is a truly brilliant bit of tech. Massively powerful, great battery life and a stunning touch screen.
    09-11-10 08:07 AM
    I find the whole antenna issue fascinating.

So here we have a company that has built it's entire reputation on doing fabulous bits of tech. Like Apple or not the engineering is usually grade A.

They have single handedly re-invented the mobile market and driven innovation although it looks like Google have now arguably passed them by and they let a flawed product out of the doors. I can only suspect it must have been late in the day when they realised they had a problem and took a call to not try to fix it but even if that was the case they could have manipulated IOS4 to hide it, so what really happened is an unknown.

Pushing the antenna issue aside, the Iphone4 is a truly brilliant bit of tech. Massively powerful, great battery life and a stunning touch screen.
    I agree it is. I do wish that RIM would be that way because an Apple-quality device with RIM's OS on it would be amazing. I know people bash the BB OS but I still think it's the best out there for my purposes.

I think the antenna issue was a result of the top-secret testing they did and the iPhone3GS mimicry they tried with their testing cases...by not testing it without a case they could never have known about the antenna issue. And perhaps whatever testing they did without the case was too close to a cell site - to strong of a signal - to see how it would react in the real world.
    09-11-10 08:11 AM
    As an example of faster processors offering worse battery I've included some battery performance tests.

The Iphone4's new processor is a 45m processor that is not only massively faster than the previous version but one that also offers brilliant battery life. Hats off to Apple it's a great bit of engineering.

BlackBerry Torch 9800 Review: Keeping RIM's Flame Alive - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

The Iphone4 beats the 9800 in all battery life tests as do a bunch of other Android devices.

New processors can offer great performance advantages and also IMPROVED battery life.

I don't doubt the validity of these results,but they are not a true representation of true to life battery performance. The are results based on browsing only and talking only. God knows that's not the only thing we do on our devices during any given day.
    09-11-10 08:35 AM
    I've got some test Android devices and also been using a Iphone4 and achieve about the same as the proper testing that was done in the graphs.

My nexus is worse than the Torch and the Iphone is better than the torch and it's that simple.

I don't tend to worry massively about spec's all of the time but when you're reading email or visiting sites the Iphone is very nearly (baring the Samsung devices) in a league of it's own.

For us Torch users no longer can we harp on about battery life since plenty of devices either equal it or beat it.
    I don't do so called scientific test. My own test is very simple. Every morning I got my phone fully charged. During the day I made calls, text, some web surfing, and push mails..so my oqn test was my lifestyle test Nexus one was my first device before iphone when it was launch and now Torch. My experience is this.

1. Nexus one will be almost battery flat half way in my work and I got to charge it at work

2. Iphone 4 battery will be almost flat when at the end of a work day

3. Torch will be left with about one-third battery before I charge it at night for next day.

My own verdict: Iphone 4 is one gorgeous phone but I don't like its squarish edge and its weak battery and to me it is not comfortable to hold and swapping applications is a pain. Torch is the most productive workhorse and its more rounded design to me is most comfortable to hold

09-11-10 08:35 AM
    I think the I4 is a great device - if it worked correctly. There is no way you should have to use a case in order to make a call. And the guy that engineered the antenna is out of a job.....ever wonder why the white I4's were delayed?
    09-11-10 08:36 AM

Ok, fair enough, but this test is not including a standby test and is completely ignoring Rim's push service. How about a test with iphone and androids pulling emails every 5 minutes against Torch push and send an equal amount of emails to all. It's the overall duration that count, after all, who does only one thing with their mobile for hours non stop.
    Also, not sure about the screen light set at 50%, blackberrys tend to brighten the screen in stronger light to make sure you can read it no matter at what percentage you set it at.

09-11-10 08:48 AM
    09-11-10 08:52 AM
310 ... 678910 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD