Why the heck is RIM coming out with a new OS but keeping the same processor? This issue bothers me because no matter how well the OS looks, the darn phone is still slow. Its like putting new shinny RIMs on a Geo Metro and expecting to go fast. The engine is what matters! What's up with that?
    It is WAY more than just processing power. Software makes alot of difference. Win7 64 bit proves that and is cleaner and faster with more options that previous version of WIndows.

Check out the Palm Pixie if you want RAW processing!
    08-04-10 05:32 PM
    It is WAY more than just processing power. Software makes alot of difference. Win7 64 bit proves that and is cleaner and faster with more options that previous version of WIndows.

Check out the Palm Pixie if you want RAW processing!
    Are you serious? Check out Win7 system requirements.
    1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor.
    1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit).
    16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit).
    DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver.

I once used a Pentium III Tualatin which was rated to have 1 ghz processor,512 RAM and 40 gb hard drive. Do you think this would run Win 7 just with no hiccups? Of course not. That's what we are saying about 9800. The phone looks good but RIM should have put a bigger processor and more memory to help keep 9800 current and improve overall user experience. In a year or so do you still think 624 ghz will suffice? Are we to buy new phones every year? No way! This is why HTC, Samsung and Apple's hardware have sufficient processing power that will carry you over a couple of years.
    08-04-10 06:02 PM
    The phone looks good but RIM should have put a bigger processor and more memory to help keep 9800 current and improve overall user experience. In a year or so do you still think 624 ghz will suffice? Are we to buy new phones every year? No way! This is why HTC, Samsung and Apple's hardware have sufficient processing power that will carry you over a couple of years.
    I will agree with this. Even if the processor is enough for now, it certainly doesn't leave much room to grow. Same with the memory. Can't really argue with that line of reasoning.

HOWEVER, there's been no indication that the device won't run just fine on the specs it has.
    08-04-10 06:36 PM
    People are people. People will always want to feel that they have an undisputed champion smarthphone.

The 9800 does not stand as an undisputed champion and cannot knock out the iphone4 or an android. It will have to fight hard and win my a TKO instead of a KO and most people don't care about TKO's the want and pay for KO's

In the high end electronics world, detailed comparisons mean little to most people. Its like saying "she has an unattractive face and skinny body but she has a personality of gold". Joe Blog will tell you bluntly "to hades with personality I want a pretty face, hot body and big jiggly fun bags !"

Why do you think the plastic surgery market is so hot right now ?

Average people want the GROSS outward effect of their phones (just like their body) to be outstanding and brutally impressive.

They want it to be something that can be envied.

They want it to be blatantly obvious that theirs is the best. Be it their body, their job, their car, the neighborhood their sexual ability. Whatever it may be.

RIM is conservative for a reason and we don't know why and most of us really don't care.

We are living in a give me more, give me the best and make me feel important generation.

So RIM is facing a lot of pressure right now.
    because...

People are people.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-04-10 07:23 PM

So RIM is facing a lot of pressure right now.
    because...

People are people.

Correction.
    Fanboys are Fanboys

Fandroids will be Fandroids, as iPhonys are iPhonys, But leave us Crackberrys alone.
    08-04-10 07:35 PM
    Another troll..... only 3 posts. Stop comparing processors on different platforms. Apples <> Oranges
    seriously? post count?

you have less than 500, so by your logic everything i say is better than what you say.
    08-04-10 07:41 PM
    It is amazing how badly the device is being trashed by whiny.namby pambies before it is released who expected the Torch to be a 1Ghz entertainment devixe with terrible battery life and an intentional harware flaw requiring the device to be held a certain way to get signal strength. They expected an iPhone or Android killer. These sanctimonius critics can't accept that RIM takes a more cautious approach to innovation. BB fans, not fanpersons, have more measured realistic expectations with a tremendous wishlist. BB critics will always find something to hate.

08-04-10 07:56 PM
    the torch is behind, im not trashing it but that is the god honest truth. i just got done playing with it and the captivate... i hate to say it but the samsung really just made the torch look old with a horrible screen.
    08-04-10 08:23 PM
    RIM has its own good reasons it hasn't matched the phones that are hot now.

Consumers do not care about those reasons.

Stake holders care.

It took a while before apple made a comeback and when the iMac came out, it still used the PPC which couldn't match the GHz race of Intel and AMD

Eventually the iMac caught up and now it blazez past the competition using from -i3 to i7 intel CPU's

They realised long ago the PPC was dead.

RIM knows what's dead on their platform and it takes a while to respond. Just like it took apple a while to respond before making the first iMacs.

That is to say... Baby steps are necessary when you have been sleeping at the wheel for a while.

QNX people... Watch for it.

08-04-10 08:26 PM
    so this phone is just here to "hold" RIM where they are at in the smart phone market...

thats whats sad, i want a new phone. one that has all the features like the top dogs
    08-04-10 08:35 PM
    OM*G!!!!! GET OVER yourselves people.
    08-04-10 08:37 PM
    By the time RIM has a 1GHz processor in one of their devices the competition will be running dual core.

I'm sad to see RIM just flushing BB down the toilet. The 9800 is certainly the nicest BB to date, but it is still not up to par with the competition. It's no wonder so many people are jumping ship.
    08-04-10 08:54 PM
    They aren't that far out. It's comparable to the 3GS and the first Droid so that put's it 3 to 8 months out with the only real separation being the iphone 4 and the slew of massively spec'd android devices that began dropping from the sky about 3 months ago. Let's see what happens with the next storm.
    08-04-10 09:15 PM
    Here we go, turning phones into mini computers.
    How is this not exactly where smartphones are headed? It's getting to the point where people can use a phone for all of their daily computing needs now except for writing/editing long documents.

I don't understand all of the "it's just a phone, it doesn't need to do more" attitude a lot of people on Crackberry have. Who wouldn't want to see a Blackberry with a Snapdragon, a smooth (and more productive) UI, gigabytes of storage for apps and messages, an 800x480 screen for nice crisp text. I don't understand how any of these are bad things.

RIM can keep running like it is, and even if they do remain dominant in the corporate world, they'll completely miss out on the consumer market, which I'm sure will be pushing a billion people in no time.

There are 50 million people just in the US using smartphones, and 4.6 BILLION cellphone users in the world. But RIM can just ignore them and stick to a few million business users.
    08-04-10 09:31 PM
    Doesn't it bother some of you BB users when you think you might be 'upgrading' to hardware that is not that much better than what some of you have if you have a BB that's a few years old? Wouldn't you rather purchase something more significant? I mean, as it stands, some are going to drop 200 dollars on a form factor and having a new OS first being the most significantly different things.

I do plan to upgrade to a high end LTE device down the line for another large jump like from the S2 to the Incredible. And if RIM continues on this path, its looking like HTC is where I'll stay unless they pull out some rather unlikely surprises.

And why is it a bad thing if phones are turning into mini computers? Most of them cost the same to the end user regardless.
    08-04-10 09:36 PM
    They aren't that far out. It's comparable to the 3GS and the first Droid so that put's it 3 to 8 months out with the only real separation being the iphone 4 and the slew of massively spec'd android devices that began dropping from the sky about 3 months ago. Let's see what happens with the next storm.
    The problem is, while the Mhz is similar, the performance is NOT.

The 624 Mhz CPU is based on dated ARM9 tech, with no graphics acceleration.

iPhone has a CPU based on ARM11 and also has graphics acceleration.

Droid is based on the newest Cortex-A8 architecture and also features graphics acceleration.

And with these newer CPUs, you can run them on a lower MHz clock to save power while maintaining better performance.
    08-04-10 11:02 PM

Droid is based on the newest Cortex-A8 architecture and also features graphics acceleration.

And with these newer CPUs, you can run them on a lower MHz clock to save power while maintaining better performance.
    You've got it a little off..

Blackberrys use ARM11's. (Some, like the Storm, have an ARM9 co-processor)

The processor used in the Storm, and a few other Blackberrys does support OpenGL. I don't know about the 9800 though. Has RIM said anything?

The iPhone and iPhone 3G were ARM11 based, the 3GS and 4 run a Cortex-A8

Snapdragon, OMAP3, and Apple A4 are all Cortex A8 based
    08-04-10 11:32 PM

The processor used in the Storm, and a few other Blackberrys does support OpenGL. I don't know about the 9800 though. Has RIM said anything?

The iPhone and iPhone 3G were ARM11 based, the 3GS and 4 run a Cortex-A8

Snapdragon, OMAP3, and Apple A4 are all Cortex A8 based
    The 9800 uses the same Marvell chip from the original 9000 and 9700. This chip does not have a OpenGL compliant gpu, and also does not run any OpenGL content under the simulator.

You can read up on the chip here
    http://www.rojakpot.com/showarticle....tno=365&pgno=0
    08-04-10 11:38 PM
    Not really. Not all ARM CPUs are created equal. The XScale core on the 9800 is clock for clock, less than half as powerful as a Cortex-A8 core. Cortex-A8 features superscalar processing in addition to much better larger cache and cache instructions. Basically, that means the 600Mhz CPU on the iPhone 3GS performs about twice as many tasks at the same clock speed. XScale is about 2 generations behind Cortex A8.

Also, as yeedub has mentioned, the SoC used in the 9800 is lacking a GPU. Also, FYI, XScale is a generation behind the CPU in the ORIGINAL iPhone, which yeedub also mentioned, but didn't really make clear unless you know the model numbers..

Still, I think the 9800 will be fine. It's not designed for games and whatnot. It's basically more of the same with a new browser and a prettier interface and a couple more features. The memory bump will certainly help. I do however find it a bit disheartening that even with the slow and weaker processor, advertised battery life is not very good. I wouldn't expect this new model to keep in the tradition of excellent battery life in Blackberries.
    08-04-10 11:39 PM

Although the A4 is ARM based the iPhone 4 also uses a Cortex-A8 core.
    08-04-10 11:41 PM

Only the Storm runs on ARM11. I presume that's because the SoC is not made by Marvell.
    I'm using one now and the phone is actually pretty fast and very responsive. Don't let the nay sayers fool you.
    If a device is designed for 1Ghz and one designed for 624Mhz then you wont even see a difference!!!!
    That's very similar to saying something like, "you won't notice the difference between a PS2 and a PS3." I think most people would notice.
    08-04-10 11:52 PM
    The 9800 uses the same Marvell chip from the original 9000 and 9700. This chip does not have a OpenGL compliant gpu, and also does not run any OpenGL content under the simulator.

You can read up on the chip here
    Tech ARP - Marvell XScale PXA3xx Application Processors Tech Report
    You are correct. So their new flagship phone doesn't even have OpenGL... Before someone goes off how OpenGL is just for useless toys and games, please tell me the last time your inbox scrolled smoothly, or quickly..

Daytona Beach? You're not at Riddle are you?
    08-04-10 11:56 PM
    You are correct. So their new flagship phone doesn't even have OpenGL... Before someone goes off how OpenGL is just for useless toys and games, please tell me the last time your inbox scrolled smoothly, or quickly..

Daytona Beach? You're not at Riddle are you?
    Nah i dont go to ER, i have friends who do though. I got to Daytona State College (community college lol)
    08-04-10 11:59 PM
310 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD