What kind of mindset is this? Most people here want RIM to do better. Stop being complacent with their mediocrity.

You tell us to go to Android or Apple. What will happen when most users do? Then, you're going to be stuck with a company on the eve of extinction because they thought it was okay to still release dated devices. Please save the e-mail/security argument. That can't be their saving grace forever.

Look at Palm. That was THE business phone. Now, it's just a company acquired by HP.
    I am not trying to downplay RIM in any matter. I love the Blackberry platform. The point I am trying to get across is to the people who complain about every aspect of the new 9800. About it, not being up to date with current hardware of other companies. If you are loyal to RIM you will stay in for the long run no matter what. My Blackberry accomplishes everything I need it to do in more, whether it may be for school or just leisure. Especially the new webkit becoming available through OS6 that is the main upgrade I have been waiting to happen for years.
    08-04-10 08:09 AM
    Bla bla bla what else can we finde to complane about with th 9800

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-04-10 08:09 AM
    No, the question is, why do YOU like it?
    I do not only like it, I love the platform. I am able to organize everything pertaining to school and personal life on my blackberry. The UI is very simple to me, even more accessible when OS6 releases. I am also able to do as much personally on my Blackberry as I can on an iPhone or Android powered phone.
    08-04-10 08:13 AM
    The sad part is that you hear 624Mhz and 1Ghz or whatever.. but you still have to remember, RIM does not build devices to use a 1Ghz processor so putting that into a device which doesn't require it will be a waste of money on their part.. Next thing is people complain when they hear 624Mhz v 1Ghz.. Really, do some of you even know the difference? If a device is designed for 1Ghz and one designed for 624Mhz then you wont even see a difference!!!!
    08-04-10 11:49 AM
    9 months? this thing is obsolete before it hits the display rack.
    I was being kind.....
    08-04-10 11:52 AM
    That's odd, my Bold 9000 is purring along just as good as the day I bought it...2 years ago, except I'm running 5.0.0.681 now. Must just be the crap you load on yours...
    Sure, it's purring. Go to bb appworld and start downloading something, then try to do ANYTHING else and see how that works for you.

Anyhow, the point is they are using the same stale processor while asking it to do much more. Better web browsing needs more power. Faster downloads/uploads need more power. Sliding screens, multiple homepages, all need more power. Flash content needs more power.

My point is, why did they follow and not lead? Where's the hdmi? Where's the HD recording? Hi-res screen? Don't think so. 8MP camera? Nope. Fast, blazing processor? Uh-uh.
    08-04-10 12:02 PM
    Sure, it's purring. Go to bb appworld and start downloading something, then try to do ANYTHING else and see how that works for you.

Anyhow, the point is they are using the same stale processor while asking it to do much more. Better web browsing needs more power. Faster downloads/uploads need more power. Sliding screens, multiple homepages, all need more power. Flash content needs more power.

My point is, why did they follow and not lead? Where's the hdmi? Where's the HD recording? Hi-res screen? Don't think so. 8MP camera? Nope. Fast, blazing processor? Uh-uh.

You cant say it needs more power! Thats a generalization, open your mind and think before you type dude! Every aspect of a Device and its OS is designed to run on a specific processor speed.. Example you have 2.0Ghz and 1.8Ghz and 1Ghz processors in computers.. The stuff you find on a 2.0Ghz you will not on a 1Ghz or 1.8Ghz! This is why Android for example runs a 1Ghz processor and not a 1.5Ghz or 1.8Ghz because the device wasnt designed for it! DUH!

Ill just disregard the ending of your post being that those are extras which belong on an entertainment device not a smartphone.

Think dude!
    08-04-10 12:08 PM
    You cant say it needs more power! Thats a generalization, open your mind and think before you type dude! Every aspect of a Device and its OS is designed to run on a specific processor speed.. Example you have 2.0Ghz and 1.8Ghz and 1Ghz processors in computers.. The stuff you find on a 2.0Ghz you will not on a 1Ghz or 1.8Ghz! This is why Android for example runs a 1Ghz processor and not a 1.5Ghz or 1.8Ghz because the device wasnt designed for it! DUH!

Ill just disregard the ending of your post being that those are extras which belong on an entertainment device not a smartphone.

Think dude!
    Go read initial impressions of the device. Slow, sluggish seems to be the keywords describing OS6 on the 9800. This is the same outdated hardware trying to run lavish UI elements. There is a reason it needs more power, and thats because it is struggling to handle what RIM is asking for.

You must not be aware of the 2 Ghz Android devices coming later this year...

wait....did i just read that right?

extras which belong on an entertainment device not a smartphone
    LOL, its 2010 not 2007 anymore
    08-04-10 12:32 PM
    Seriously hope the mods start deletong thes useless POC threads.
    I think that might asking a bit much of them. These thread are an infection in every sub-forum.

CB Forums went to **** years ago
    08-04-10 01:02 PM
    Go read initial impressions of the device. Slow, sluggish seems to be the keywords describing OS6 on the 9800. This is the same outdated hardware trying to run lavish UI elements. There is a reason it needs more power, and thats because it is struggling to handle what RIM is asking for.

You must not be aware of the 2 Ghz Android devices coming later this year...

wait....did i just read that right?

LOL, its 2010 not 2007 anymore
    What does a theoretical Android phone with a 2ghz processor have to do with any other phone that ISN'T that phone?

What does the year have to do with anything either? Show me the guideline that says, as the year changes the processor speeds must increase.

If an OS is capable of running smoothly on a processor that isn't the fastest available I don't see what the problem is. And please spare us all your thoughts of the impressions of the phone because I haven't read anywhere or seen any video showing the phone running slowly.
    Last edited by TheComebackKidd; 08-04-10 at 01:07 PM.
    08-04-10 01:04 PM
    I really think people just want specs so they can tout their specs. Bottom line is that if you want a 4G device, go get the EVO. If you want a 4" screen, go get the Droid X. If you want HD video recording, go get the iPhone 4. If you want the Blackberry platform (and whatever it is about said platform that attracted you in the first place), get the 9700 or wait for the 9800. No phone is perfect and has everything. A friend has the EVO and hates the battery life. Another friend just got the Droid X and loves it, but complains about the call quality. We all know about the issues withe iPhone 4.

But the 9800 isn't even out yet. All these people complaining that the processor isn't fast enough or there's not enough memory haven't even used the phone yet. I have one problem with my 9700, and it's the web browsing, which, plainly put, sucks. It's not an issue of the memory or the processor (web browsing sucks on the 9650 also, which has twice the memory). The biggest drawback of the flagship BB device is the web browsing, and the new webkit is supposed to solve all those problems. The 9800 is reportedly testing ahead of the pack on Acid 3 and HTML5 tests, from worst to first.

All I'm saying is maybe the spec sheet isn't all that fantastic in comparison with the Android devices and the iPhone 4, but the spec sheet doesn't tell you what phone performs the best for the tasks you need it for. If you're a Blackberry user, it's probably for a reason, and the RIM doesn't forget why you have a Blackberry in the first place at the expense of HDMI output or a faster processor. They're not in a sword measuring contest. They want to have a device that meets the needs of their target demographic. Not necessarily one that gets tech geeks all hot and bothered at E3.
    08-04-10 01:17 PM
    Thanks bradyfred, could'nt have said it better myself.

Funny thing is that most of those complaining don't even know what a Mhz is, just that bigger sounds better. Even Intel started downplaying that misnomer years ago, since it can be like comparing Apples to Watermelons. I wonder how many of the same people complained about the IPhone's processor. I wonder how many really know what the Iphone even uses ... won't get an easy answer from Apple.
    08-04-10 01:22 PM
    Why couldnt they clock it faster and throttle it down when not needed? My droid incredible doesnt always stay 1 Ghz because, yes, that would kill the battery. When looking at a third party system info app with several background tasks running, the speed jumps even lower than what the 9800 runs at.

I dont even game really on it and I can appreciate the extra speed for app switching, browsing, navigation, etc.

And when i had a Storm 2, I had to charge it every night anyway. Sure, I could have made it last longer, but it wouldnt be that much better to go into the second day with like 20% charge left.

And for those saying it may not need it because of the architecture, well, what happens when you have good architecture and a higher speed? It does even better.

I dont hate the Blackberry platform at all. In fact there are a few things I miss from it compared to Android. OS 6 looks great. I just cant stand by RIM when they elect to use outdated hardware. Sure, it may not need all the super high end stuff that currently exists, but they can do better than this.

It would not have been difficult at all for them to do a 3.5 inch screen with like an 800 mhz processor, and a res of like 640x480. Sure, your battery might take a hit, but your not going to go from like 1.5 days to five hours with a nominal bump.

You dont have to go to the very high end, but you sure as well dont need to stay at the lowest.
    08-04-10 01:23 PM
    What does a theoretical Android phone with a 2ghz processor have to do with any other phone that ISN'T that phone?

What does the year have to do with anything either? Show me the guideline that says, as the year changes the processor speeds must increase.
    Jesus...seriously? Who cares if BlackBerry isnt running on a 2 Ghz, but it needs hardware to run its own OS without running like garbage. Clock speeds arent everything, architecture is. Look at the iPhone 3GS, its chip is clocked at a lower speed but easily hands the Marvell PXA300 its ***.

As software begins to add features, suitable hardware is needed so it runs fluid (nearly every 9800 video i have seen displays NOTICEABLE LAG) and at an acceptable performance level. The processor in the 9800 is not suited for the job, simple as that.
    08-04-10 01:27 PM
    Why couldnt they clock it faster and throttle it down when not needed? My droid incredible doesnt always stay 1 Ghz because, yes, that would kill the battery. When looking at a third party system info app with several background tasks running, the speed jumps even lower than what the 9800 runs at.

I dont even game really on it and I can appreciate the extra speed for app switching, browsing, navigation, etc.

And when i had a Storm 2, I had to charge it every night anyway. Sure, I could have made it last longer, but it wouldnt be that much better to go into the second day with like 20% charge left.

And for those saying it may not need it because of the architecture, well, what happens when you have good architecture and a higher speed? It does even better.

I dont hate the Blackberry platform at all. In fact there are a few things I miss from it compared to Android. OS 6 looks great. I just cant stand by RIM when they elect to use outdated hardware. Sure, it may not need all the super high end stuff that currently exists, but they can do better than this.

It would not have been difficult at all for them to do a 3.5 inch screen with like an 800 mhz processor, and a res of like 640x480. Sure, your battery might take a hit, but your not going to go from like 1.5 days to five hours with a nominal bump.

You dont have to go to the very high end, but you sure as well dont need to stay at the lowest.
    Your post reminds me of an article I read earlier. Here's the link: Blackberry Torch 9800: Try Again, RIM - PCWorld

After blasting the 9800 for inferior specs, the writer says this:
    Writing this article was too easy. All I had to do was look at the Blackberry Torch's major hardware specs, compare them to other leading smartphones, and note how the Torch is inferior. That doesn't mean the Blackberry Torch 9800 will be a bad phone, it just means RIM still has a lot more catching up to do.

Dude hasn't even used the phone yet. Just isn't impressed with the specs. Can't we just wait before we say that it's not powerful enough? Can't we wait until some users have actually put their hands on it and used it for a few days, and then we can see if it's actually lacking? We might find that it's more than powerful enough to run BB6 and browse the web and all that stuff. We might be impressed.
    08-04-10 02:13 PM
    No, the question is, why do YOU like it?
    No, the question is why do you care? What is your goal as a Android fanboy on a BlackBerry site?

08-04-10 02:16 PM
    RIM needs better then just "fine" they need to be ahead of the game. why they dont understand this i have no idea. i can honestly say the only thing that has be on a BB still is bbm. without that i would have been gone a long time ago.
    08-04-10 02:57 PM
    My 9700 with the same processor got bogged down and laggy in time, the 642mhz processor isn't going to cut it. With the era of 1ghz processor super phones RIM and the Torch is starting off behind the competition. What was RIM thinking of when they decided to put a dated processor on their new flagship product?
    08-04-10 03:17 PM
    RIM needs better then just "fine" they need to be ahead of the game. why they dont understand this i have no idea. i can honestly say the only thing that has be on a BB still is bbm. without that i would have been gone a long time ago.
    BBM wasn't enough reason for me to hang on to Blackberry. I considered myself a die hard Blackberry fan until Andriod stepped into the picture. I agree there is no better instant messenger than BBM but once you let it go you realize you can do without it.
    08-04-10 03:19 PM
    The 624 mhz is really pretty sad. The worse part is, its the same processor in the 9000 and 9700. Its based on the old XScale technology which was great...like 2 years ago. ARM9 core tech versus the latest Cortex-A8 chips in the modern Android and iPhones.

To put it into perspective, Cortex-A8 does roughly twice the work clock for clock.

So the 624 mhz CPU in the BBs would be equivalent to say the processor in the iphone or android if it were clocked down to 300mhz or so. So damn sad.
    08-04-10 04:08 PM

Think dude!
    Are you serious about the os being tuned to the processor speed? Last I checked, Microsoft Office doesn't care if I have a celeron or a Core i7. It will still run on the pc. Apps and software are not designed for a specific processor speed. Who the **** ever even told you that should be beaten.

And an entertainment device vs a smartphone? It's not just messaging that makes a phone smart these days. All-in-one is where the market is headed and if you can't see that, then no matter what I say you'll be as clueless as you are right now.
    08-04-10 04:16 PM
    The 624 mhz is really pretty sad. The worse part is, its the same processor in the 9000 and 9700. Its based on the old XScale technology which was great...like 2 years ago. ARM9 core tech versus the latest Cortex-A8 chips in the modern Android and iPhones.

To put it into perspective, Cortex-A8 does roughly twice the work clock for clock.

So the 624 mhz CPU in the BBs would be equivalent to say the processor in the iphone or android if it were clocked down to 300mhz or so. So damn sad.
    Another troll..... only 3 posts. Stop comparing processors on different platforms. Apples <> Oranges
    08-04-10 04:58 PM
    are you serious about the os being tuned to the processor speed? Last i checked, microsoft office doesn't care if i have a celeron or a core i7. It will still run on the pc. Apps and software are not designed for a specific processor speed. Who the **** ever even told you that should be beaten.

And an entertainment device vs a smartphone? It's not just messaging that makes a phone smart these days. All-in-one is where the market is headed and if you can't see that, then no matter what i say you'll be as clueless as you are right now.
    roflmao... :d
    08-04-10 05:17 PM
    The 1GHz androids that aren't bad on the battery, once people root their Androids and ditch the bloatware carriers added battery life has been reprted much better. There's someone with a Droid X that went a whole weekend without charging it!

08-04-10 05:28 PM
    Another troll..... only 3 posts. Stop comparing processors on different platforms. Apples <> Oranges
    I mostly read forums, don't usually post.

Besides, if I want to watch a video, platforms dont mean anything. I don't have to convert a video to watch it on an Android phone because the hardware can handle the h264 no problem. On my 9700 I need to convert since the CPU blows goats. And what about flash support? That 624 mhz wont cut it I promise you
    08-04-10 05:29 PM
310 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD