No, but wouldn't it be great to say the Torch would be capable of running anything that comes out within 2 years? Just 2 years ago I had a brand new 8830 with a whopping 96MB and now 512MB is the minimum for a new device. Kind of how people that bought a 9700 with 256MB may never see 6, and that device isn't a year old yet. Why just make things good enough for current needs? BB is just catching up to most with this device, but will soon be behind again. It stinks because I love the messaging and phone capabilities, but even my 1 month old Bold 9650 still lags when downloading/installing an app, launching a big app like MLB or doing anything else that requires just a little bit of horsepower.

A flagship device should be one people will feel confident will work for two years and still be able to run current software. This thing will be obsolete in 9 months.
    That's odd, my Bold 9000 is purring along just as good as the day I bought it...2 years ago, except I'm running 5.0.0.681 now. Must just be the crap you load on yours...
    08-03-10 07:56 PM
    The processor is not gonna be powerful enough, you can tell from some youtube videos demonstrating the browser and the phone couldn't keep up with the scrolling. The 9 month old Droid doesn't even do that.
    08-03-10 08:07 PM
    Underpowered and small screen size/subpar resolution will keep this phone limited to the BB faithful.

100% true. Only the true fanbois will get this. And no matter how slow it is, they will say, "its fast enough for me!" lol
    08-03-10 10:00 PM
    a simple equation...

624mhz+1300ma battery = x hours of usage
    1000mhz+1300ma battery = y hours of usage..

x > y .. by a long stretch!

Id rather my BB worked for my whole business day, doing everything i want to do on it, than have to keep searching for a power outlet every couple of hours, or carry a phone the size of a brick around.
    Because phone manufacturers are still doing this right? Oh, and the iPhone 4 would outlast this new 9800 by a mile. Feels bad right?
    08-03-10 10:12 PM
    624MHz is not a joke. The Droid and the Pre run around those speeds, they are a year old though. The joke is that it's probably the same ARM11 based (I'm assuming) processor the original Bold 9000 used.

All of these 1GHz phones coming out now are Coretex A8 based. A Cortex A8 is probably close to 50% faster than an ARM11 at the same clockspeed. So not only are all these high end Android phones running at 1GHz, they're getting a lot more done per MHz than what's in the 9800 and every modern Blackberry.

Check out this article from Anandtech, probably the best comparison of ARM11 to a Coretex A8, a comparison of the iPhone 3G to the 3GS
    Understanding the iPhone 3GS - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

There are rumors of 1.5 and 2GHz Android phones by the end of this year, and pretty soon things will be running Cortex A9's which are a huge jump from an A8. The Tegra 2 has a dual core Coretex A9 running up to 1.5GHz...

But no, it's fine that the 9800, the new flagship Blackberry with the new OS that will bring excitement back to the brand is running a processor from 2002...
    08-03-10 11:41 PM
    If you watch CBKevins video, you can see he is experiencing lag when he scrolls.
    And if you look at the same video... You'll notice that there are tons of apps opened in the background, including one taking 30% of the CPU (see at the end where he shows the resource monitor @ around 11 min mark).

Quite franky... When taking that into consideration... The device handled well. No spinning cursor of doom when navigating (yes a bit laggy) even if all those things were happening in the background.
    Last edited by FineWolf; 08-03-10 at 11:47 PM.
    08-03-10 11:45 PM
    Because phone manufacturers are still doing this right? Oh, and the iPhone 4 would outlast this new 9800 by a mile. Feels bad right?
    yah, im hurting rt now.

we vote with our dollars. if i were to buy this phone with such a pos processor, id be telling rim that im ok with bare minimum spec'ed phone, when im not.

but, the only thing keeping to bb is my CHEAP data plan. decisions, decisions....
    08-03-10 11:46 PM
    624MHz is not a joke. The Droid and the Pre run around those speeds, they are a year old though. The joke is that it's probably the same ARM11 based (I'm assuming) processor the original Bold 9000 used.

All of these 1GHz phones coming out now are Coretex A8 based. A Cortex A8 is probably close to 50% faster than an ARM11 at the same clockspeed. So not only are all these high end Android phones running at 1GHz, they're getting a lot more done per MHz than what's in the 9800 and every modern Blackberry.

Check out this article from Anandtech, probably the best comparison of ARM11 to a Coretex A8, a comparison of the iPhone 3G to the 3GS
    Understanding the iPhone 3GS - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

There are rumors of 1.5 and 2GHz Android phones by the end of this year, and pretty soon things will be running Cortex A9's which are a huge jump from an A8. The Tegra 2 has a dual core Coretex A9 running up to 1.5GHz...

But no, it's fine that the 9800, the new flagship Blackberry with the new OS that will bring excitement back to the brand is running a processor from 2002...
    Precisely. This is what RIM needs to be using instead of dicking around with the PXA300 series. This is a processor that will go 2 years without worrying "will i be able to run X"

Marvell: ARMADA 600
    08-03-10 11:48 PM

it's funny how the phone has been called "last years phone", 2 years behind, 3 years behind. and now i've seen 2002
    08-03-10 11:57 PM
    Lets let the phone be released first before judging the speed of the phone. Go buy one and download a bunch of apps and run a bunch of them THEN come tell us how it runs. Until then you dont know jack.

Just to throw this out there, my bold ran fast out of the box, and I have about 15 apps installed and guess what, it still runs just as fast. Even with multiple apps open.
    08-04-10 12:00 AM

Here we go, turning phones into mini computers. This is just like the mhz/ghz race not to long ago in the computer arena, and you guys are just getting sucked in again like fools. What is the use of a device, especially a PHONE if you can't get a least a full days use out of it. You idiots are falling for the same BS the computer industry had us believe years ago, more power is needed. Only a FEW people really need or use all the crap they pack these phones with nowadays. I will say it again, people are like sheep, they don't do their homework on what is really needed for their own lives. They just go by the shiny trinkets and when all they really need is simplicity. After the short stint on the "greener side" they realize do I really need all this extra crap.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-04-10 12:45 AM
    Here we go, turning phones into mini computers. This is just like the mhz/ghz race not to long ago in the computer arena, and you guys are just getting sucked in again like fools. What is the use of a device, especially a PHONE if you can't get a least a full days use out of it. You idiots are falling for the same BS the computer industry had us believe years ago, more power is needed. Only a FEW people really need or use all the crap they pack these phones with nowadays. I will say it again, people are like sheep, they don't do their homework on what is really needed for their own lives. They just go by the shiny trinkets and when all they really need is simplicity. After the short stint on the "greener side" they realize do I really need all this extra crap.

The blackberry storm 2 a 10 month old device is unable to support the latest and greatest blackberry os. The droid x, evo 4g, etc with their 1 ghz processor will be able to support Android 3.0 the latest and greatest android os. Sometimes it does pay to havve the latest and greatest, you may not need it now but in the future you willl.
    08-04-10 01:03 AM
    My android Phone with a 800mhz processor can hold two days with ok usage 100 or so sent texts, 100min calling, and 50mb data. Get an Android phone and test it before talking **** about its battery life.
    08-04-10 01:04 AM
    My android Phone with a 800mhz processor can hold two days with ok usage 100 or so sent texts, 100min calling, and 50mb data. Get an Android phone and test it before talking **** about its battery life.
    Hold on Caligula.........My POINT was, here we go falling for the same mhz/ghz BS from the past again; AND to let you know...the BOLDS cpus, maybe the TORCHES too, top out at 800mhz so the stretch from 624mhz to 800mhz is not that bad for battery life compared to a 1ghz or 1.5ghz cpu. So might I suggest you read AND comprehend what is posted before blasting of at the mouth.
    Last edited by mke67; 08-04-10 at 01:26 AM.
    08-04-10 01:16 AM
    This thread is a joke

08-04-10 01:23 AM
    Hold on Caligula.........My POINT was, here we go falling for the same mhz/ghz BS from the past again; AND to let you know...the BOLDS cpus, maybe the TORCHES too, top out at 800mhz so the stretch from 624mhz to 800mhz is not that bad for battery life compared to a 1ghz or 1.5ghz cpu. So might I suggest you read AND comprehend what is posted before blasting of at the mouth.
    I really don't see the problem with companies going after faster and faster CPUs. If battery life hits them to hard people can stop buying them and companies will wait for battery technology to catch up. Also CPUs aren't the only thing the will kill battery life, type of screen used and apps left open will use a great amount of power as well.

I just don't understand why you suggest that the 624mhz is fast enough. I remember a few months ago when I had a BlackBerry Bold 9000 I would be listening to music and playing brickbreaker and the game would lag when the songs changed. That is simply not acceptable.
    08-04-10 01:43 AM
    I really don't see the problem with companies going after faster and faster CPUs. If battery life hits them to hard people can stop buying them and companies will wait for battery technology to catch up. Also CPUs aren't the only thing the will kill battery life, type of screen used and apps left open will use a great amount of power as well.

I just don't understand why you suggest that the 624mhz is fast enough. I remember a few months ago when I had a BlackBerry Bold 9000 I would be listening to music and playing brickbreaker and the game would lag when the songs changed. That is simply not acceptable.
    Could it be more app memory\ram is what was/is REALLY needed?
    08-04-10 01:51 AM
    Then I guess the wii is a joke too. Tell Nintendo that with how much of the market share?

08-04-10 01:57 AM
    Then I guess the wii is a joke too. Tell Nintendo that with how much of the market share?

That is a terrible argument because it is the lowest priced of this console generation.

BB is pricing their phone at $199 alongside smartphones with more features, more power and processors that will handle OS updates within a year.
    08-04-10 07:43 AM
    I look at it this way, if you don't like it go to Android or Apple.
    08-04-10 07:51 AM
    No, the question is, why do YOU like it?
    08-04-10 07:57 AM
    What kind of mindset is this? Most people here want RIM to do better. Stop being complacent with their mediocrity.

You tell us to go to Android or Apple. What will happen when most users do? Then, you're going to be stuck with a company on the eve of extinction because they thought it was okay to still release dated devices. Please save the e-mail/security argument. That can't be their saving grace forever.

Look at Palm. That was THE business phone. Now, it's just a company acquired by HP.
    08-04-10 08:00 AM
    Come on folks..... stop feeding the trolls. Just check their Device Model..... previous BB users now on a different platform trying to tell BB users to give up, its over for RIM.

Its your money, spend it how you want. Don't tell us how to spend ours.
    08-04-10 08:04 AM
    I think, atleast from my perspective, it is that I really like what RIM does with much of its software. I would just like them to step up and deliver the total package for once. They knew a year ago what the competition was bringing to the table and for whatever reason, decided to take a back seat again.

At this point, I have to believe that RIM doesn't believe it can compete with the iphone or Android phones.

Maybe complaining on this forum doesn't accomplish anything, but it is a place to vent.
    08-04-10 08:06 AM
    No, the question is, why do YOU like it?

Not a exclusive touch screen
    Not a landscape Slider
    Best Document handling platform currently ( Waiting on Win7)
    Universal mailbox
    Chat Client tied to device, not user name so it can't move with a person, ( BB replacing a coroner's pager BBM list being all the contacts when a "call is received, but can not be signed in elsewhere )

and this is just why I like my Tour and Curve, with OS5, OS6 brings even more to love whilst keeping all of those loves constant.
    08-04-10 08:08 AM
310 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD