Ive done pretty much everything, except the battery change...not sure how i update to OS .246. (This is my first blackberry and not sure how to upgrade it) i do have a screen saver with me and my girlfriend but i cant see that as an issue? i went on facebook for 5 minutes, siffted thru some pics and the back of the phone is warm, my 30 warranty expired 2 days from the store that i purchased it at, is there anything i can do at this point now?
    10-11-10 09:13 AM
    When I turn my Torch off at night and I wake up the next morning, the whole battery gets drained for no reason. I left wifi on but the phone is off and the battery still gets drained. Has this happened to anyone?
    10-11-10 09:31 AM
    ok, so heres the update. I called AT&T and spoke to a sales rep. they are sending me a new battery, however, they did say that the Torch does drain alot faster then previous other models, but not 6 hours fast. This morning, after 11 hours of charging, i went on facebook for 10 minutes, made 2 phone calls (roughly 3 minutes each) and went thru somepictures and my battery went down to 80%! i really do hope the new batter fixes this issue because i love the phone, it has everything i ever wanted in a phone, except i cant get the chance to use all of it /
    10-11-10 12:51 PM
    When I turn my Torch off at night and I wake up the next morning, the whole battery gets drained for no reason. I left wifi on but the phone is off and the battery still gets drained. Has this happened to anyone?
    Nope. I use auto off/on every single night and have had no issues with i.

You could try wiping the phone with BBSAK and reloading the OS.
    10-11-10 12:53 PM
    ok, so heres the update. I called AT&T and spoke to a sales rep. they are sending me a new battery, however, they did say that the Torch does drain alot faster then previous other models, but not 6 hours fast. This morning, after 11 hours of charging, i went on facebook for 10 minutes, made 2 phone calls (roughly 3 minutes each) and went thru somepictures and my battery went down to 80%! i really do hope the new batter fixes this issue because i love the phone, it has everything i ever wanted in a phone, except i cant get the chance to use all of it /
    Glad to hear they're sending you another battery. I'm almost positive you had a bad battery because I had the same issues and now with my new battery I'm getting 36+ hours of light usage or 12 hours with heavy usage (and even on light usage I'm on the interwebz for at LEAST an hour a day.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-11-10 01:03 PM
    I disabled my Social Feeds and removed BatteryEX and so far my battery has lasted from 7:00am Sunday till 5:10pm Monday and am at 70%. I have never had a battery last this long. I wonder if something is lying to me...
    10-11-10 03:12 PM
    One thing I've learned is to turn 3G off unless your in the 3G area.. This helps a lot as it's not trying to find the 3G signal. That uses a LOT of battery when it keeps searching for it.
    10-11-10 03:19 PM
    I was having major issues with battery life also but I was finally able to rectify the problem after a lot of trial and error. First off, uprgrading to OS .246 is a must, big difference in overall performance. Then after doing all the afore mentioned; 2G, no wi-fi, shutdown all apps etc. I made sure to shutoff all GPS tracking and location aiding. Before doing all that I was at an avg discharge rate of 7%/hour and 2% at idle. Now its at 2% avg discharge/hour during calls and texts and drops to .5% at idle. So if I were you I'd download a GOOD battery monitor like Meter Berry and see what apps are causing how much discharge as well as the difference in changing to 2G and disabling GPS.

10-11-10 09:26 PM
    Rick: I told the guys at AT&T that i love the phone which i do, and i dont want to give it up, this is the 2nd issue i've had with the torch (the first one, none of the applications would load) now, i have a battery issue. They quickly told me they will send a new one within 4 days which is pretty fast, i just hope that this is the cause, because going on facebook for 5 minutes, having a few applications, and moderate phone/text use should cause a battery to drain within a few hours, and also, whats the point of having a "smart phone" when you have to turn off all of your "smart features" like pic location, i thought that was an awesome feature, knowing exactely where you are, i turned that off, web browsing, i cant use it because my battery is drained before my very eyes, applications, cant use them because the battery dies...i think and hope i can use more of the features which make the Torch a really good solid phone, because out of all the phones i could have went with, i took this one because of high praise, features, and known for it to be a business related phone. Ill keep the page updated when i get the new battery
    10-13-10 01:39 PM
    You should not have to turn off gps/location aiding/etc... GPS isn't even an issue unless something is polling for gps frequently.

That said, in a weak signal area or an area with 3g/2g switching I can get 5-7% discharge per hour doing nothing, whereas in a good signal area it might be more like 2%.

That's a large increase... But that's just the nature of poor reception, it makes the phone work hard to find a signal all the time.
    10-13-10 01:44 PM
    What is the norm then for the battery life on the torch? Assuming you do not have to turn off the gps, location, etc?

I can get about 12 hours before I'm at 30%. Compared to my old blackberry, the torch battery drains pretty fast...I just figured because it's bigger and is now a touch screen, etc.
    10-13-10 02:23 PM
    No such thing as norm, because signal can vary wildly from one location to another location which might be nearby. Building types, tower location, etc. On top of that people run different apps and a single app might double your battery usage.
    10-13-10 02:25 PM
    That is so true about one single app using a lot of battery, sometimes not one that you would expect. Strangely, my CB launcher uses a LOT of battery!!! If I forget to exit properly it really drains it quickly. I hadn't expected that.
    10-13-10 04:09 PM
    I think I was getting a couple % extra drain from pattern lock, even though it wasn't enabled to automatically lock at all (basically wasn't using it...)...

But so many circumstances change day to day it's easy to fool yourself. Best bet is trying to isolate apps (1 per day) using Meterberry to monitor your average discharge rate (and trying to keep your usage kinda consistent).

Like said above, it's often an app that you think shouldn't be doing anything that can be causing massive drain (Vlingo is an example, even if you aren't "using" it at all...)
    10-13-10 04:13 PM
    AT&T is sending me a new battery. My 6hrs has been getting less and less.
    10-13-10 05:37 PM
    Installed my new battery last night, charged it up, took the plug out around 9am and its now 4:24 and i have 70% life left. I did nothing except make a few calls, does that sound right? also, i noticed that when i set up my email account with my old batter, its not their now? what can i do to find it? it says that i have the email address is set up but its not on the main screen
    10-15-10 03:26 PM
    I have a question, off topic, i set up my blackberry email address but its not showing up on the home screen...how do i get the icon to appear on the home screen?
    10-17-10 12:34 PM
    Very off topic. Maybe better to start a new topic.
    10-17-10 12:43 PM
    I turned off my GPS, and my battery has been a lot better. The battery does seem a bit weak though. According to BatteryWatch, 75% and I took it off the charger 11am, and it's now 2pm. I was browsing, BBMing, Social Feeding, Facebook and checking ScoreMobile (running in the background)
    10-17-10 01:01 PM
    Installed my new battery last night, charged it up, took the plug out around 9am and its now 4:24 and i have 70% life left. I did nothing except make a few calls, does that sound right? also, i noticed that when i set up my email account with my old batter, its not their now? what can i do to find it? it says that i have the email address is set up but its not on the main screen
    That is definitly abnormal...I know this advice has been beaten into the ground but try going to yur options/3rd party apps and change the default permissions to "deny" auto connect, auto start etc...Are you seeing a trend from where your devices are coming from? I went through 3 Torches in as many weeks, the first 2 were from Mexico which gave me all sorts of issues but my newest one is from Canada and with OS .246 I have an avg discharge of 3% when in use now and at .2% discharge at idle. My battery life is seemingly getter longer and stronger.

10-17-10 01:04 PM
    There is absolutely no way your battery is defective. Unless you do a lot of phone calls? Do you?

I do email, heavy text, web surf, wfi on etc and my phone last me 2 days. I can even leave bluetooth on.

Your battery has to be janky or you're doing long phone calls.
    10-17-10 01:11 PM
    Installed my new battery last night, charged it up, took the plug out around 9am and its now 4:24 and i hav
    I would give the new battery a few days to a week to "break" in. You will have a much better picture of how long it lasts after that. Make sure to turn on the features you turned off that you want to use also so you are judging apples to apples.
    10-17-10 01:12 PM
    If you are using an unlocked Torch, try to manually scan and lock your network. I had the same issue (plus it gets bumped into SOS) and after doing the manual scan it's ALL FIXED!! The battery life used to last me only half the day, now it goes through to the night! Give it a try!
    10-17-10 01:34 PM
    If you are using an unlocked Torch, try to manually scan and lock your network. I had the same issue (plus it gets bumped into SOS) and after doing the manual scan it's ALL FIXED!! The battery life used to last me only half the day, now it goes through to the night! Give it a try!
    I am going to try the 3g setting to 2g only. My batt is not performing well either. I monitor two email accounts, a fb social feed, and a few calls through out the day. On the days that I work I take the phone off the charger at 6PM. Its in my car all day untill my break at 12 where it is at 94%. At 6PM its at 87%. When I get home and make a couple calls and check fb its around 70% by 8PM.

10-18-10 12:43 AM
    From my experience as a courier I can tell you if you move a lot your battery will be drained a lot faster. Must be the changing from cell tower to sell tower. Also going inside some buildings will drop your signal to 2g then back to 3g when back outside. Ultimately a touch screen phone will never have the battery life of a non touch screen phone. My advice would be to use a pouch with the sleeper magnet, always helps a lot. From my experience with the Storm even if you put the phone to sleep by pressing the top left button the screen would still light up if you pressed the right buttons, when in the sleeper pouch that doesn't happen.

10-18-10 01:55 AM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD