Alright so I've been through 3 Torches in 2 weeks.

All three Torches that I have had have a problem. If I plug in a usb cable / wall charger, the lightening bolt on the battery will appear, then disappear. So pretty much, it doesn't charge some times. It seems to be a problem with the looseness of the port.

Now, common sense would say to make sure the cables are ok. I tried all 3 of my blackberry micro usb wall adapters, and all three have the same problem. I tried plugging them into my Tour 9630 and there is no issue.

Now here the weird thing...

If I plug the usb cable into my laptop and start tethering, the lightening bolt will appear / disappear, but I don't lose internet connection when I'm tethering. So this means that I can tether fine, but my phone isn't being charged.

The problem has occurred on ALL THREE Torches. Somebody please tell me I'm doing something wrong. Does anybody have the same problem? Did I get a bad batch of phones?

Any input or comment would be appreciated as I might have to bring this up with RIM.

Thanks,
    Joey
    10-16-10 09:34 PM
    Very strange. I have seen a car charger do that but only when the battery is very low, never when using a wall charger. What OS? The was a bug shown in the release notes about charging issues with the battery very low.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-16-10 10:04 PM
    Hmm, I honestly can't say the battery is that low when I have it plugged in.

I read in a thread on here that it might be due to the phone getting too hot:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f209/98...ly-one-522858/

I'm running 6.0.0.246.
    10-16-10 10:10 PM
    this happened on my Torch but i never minded it...however since i updated my OS this problem has stopped
    10-16-10 10:15 PM
    this happened on my Torch but i never minded it...however since i updated my OS this problem has stopped
    Which OS are you running now, Propa?
    10-16-10 10:17 PM
    same issue i have!!! what is the solution?
    11-09-10 11:19 AM
    When you swap out the torch at the store, have you tried showing the AT&T folks what happens? Plug it in there? See if they have heard of this problem? I assume you're using the default cable/charger that came with the torch...
    11-09-10 11:24 AM
    Maybe it's not the charger, it's the chargee...
    11-09-10 11:30 AM
    Yep I've seen this problem and simply switching a brand new usb cable fixes the problem.
    11-09-10 11:43 AM
    My iphone used to do that. Apple had no idea what was wrong. Real annoying. Hopefully you can get to the bottom of it.

11-09-10 11:51 AM
    hmmmm thats kind of weird....
    what kind of wire you have? pics will be good to see them. cuz all of them are not the same.

so you saying, even with the original usb wire does the same?
    11-09-10 12:16 PM
    I live in Mexico city and I have the same problem. Only I found out ( my Torch posted a warning message..) that the culprit was the power line that did not sufficient power to fully charge my phone. Changed the outlet (?) and it works now. It is now connected to a power-surge with a regulator for my lap-top, works fine!!
    11-09-10 09:14 PM
    i have the same problem!!! my wall charger is the only one that doesnt work! it charges my parents blackberries, i even bought a new usb cord for the charger and it still wont charge my phone! my laptop charges it and so does my car charger...i dont get it and it really pisses me off >
    07-11-11 08:00 PM
    i have the same problem!!! my wall charger is the only one that doesnt work! it charges my parents blackberries, i even bought a new usb cord for the charger and it still wont charge my phone! my laptop charges it and so does my car charger...i dont get it and it really pisses me off >
    Replace the charger itself. Replacing a cable is all fine and good that just the inbetween for a point "A" and a point "B"

Not a awesome heads up, but *shrug* My screen is acting wonky, and its not been a year yet
    07-12-11 01:23 AM
    you sure it's not just the flashing lightning bolt that's there on the newer operating systems?
    07-12-11 01:27 AM
    Hmm, I honestly can't say the battery is that low when I have it plugged in.

I read in a thread on here that it might be due to the phone getting too hot:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f209/98...ly-one-522858/

I'm running 6.0.0.246.
    Don't know about others here, but for me, .246 sucked big time with battery issues and stupid bugginess. I am now using OS .600 recently released by AT&T.
    07-12-11 02:38 AM
    Its cuz your phone is getting too hot..

07-12-11 08:10 AM
    I use a charging cradle and notice that frequently no "lightening bolt" appears on the battery icon. I know the device is connected because I am able to access it using mass storage mode. Over time the charge increases even with the lack of lightening bolt. Occasionally I get the message that the power source isn't sufficient to charge the device (cradle is plugged into a USB on my computer). When I get that message I just reconnect and it will usually charge again.
    Last edited by Slalom; 07-12-11 at 09:59 AM.
    07-12-11 09:54 AM
    I've seen the same thing with the charging pod, wall charger, and data cable. The phone will popup a message saying the charger is insufficient to recharge the phone. When I disconnect and reconnect the charger, it usuallyworks just fine. It's probably a quirk of the phone made worse by the power fluctuations of summer A/C use.
    07-12-11 01:08 PM
    try changing the USB cable. I found that the Lightening bolt flashes on and off on my new OS load on my BB. But also what i found is that the cable for my Motorola Headset is the same size plug for my 9700 but the cable is too long so it will not charge the BB. It will let me do file swapping however and i can use it to tether. go to a short cable the same size as the one that came for the BB and you shouldnt have any issue. Also I am on OS 6.0 Bundle 2342
    07-12-11 02:01 PM
    It may just be the OS. Newer loads flash the bolt as they charge vs having a constant bolt like older loads. They started this in the 500 series.

07-12-11 02:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD