Alright, here is a small list of the changes I have noticed going from .337 to .450. Please feel free to add your own and correct what I may have wrong.

BATTERY: Battery notification is finally here. As soon as my phone hit 20% the battery picture changes to yellow as it did on previous phones (see picture). When the battery is fully charged there is now a plug icon in the battery (see picture). Battery life I am still not sure on, I am on charge 2 and I don't feel that is long enough to judge life, but I did notice as soon as my phone hit 20% it seemed to drop VERY fast. It was DEAD within an 45 minutes, never had that happen before I am hoping for better because if it happens again I will go back to .337, I use to get about 3 hours out of a 20% battery at the least.

BROWSER: There are new icons for Bookmarks and History (see pictures below). The browser seems a little faster in pinch to zoom and when loading mobile pages, LARGE non mobile pages still render slower and the pinch to zoom is still a bit choppy there. The little arrow at the top of the browser when is now back (see pics for differences), I personally do NOT like this, the same function was there in .377 without the arrow, but that is a small thing nothing to make me change back.

SPEAKERPHONE: The only real thing I have noticed is the speaker phone, I use mine a lot and this could be the thing that makes me go back. The quality seems to be VERY lacking. I have only talked to 2 people so far, but they both seemed muffled. The phone off of speaker phone sounds very clear and crisp, but speakerphone BAD. The speakers for everything else seem to work great with the same volume as before.

CAMERA: I love the new camera, the focus box in the middle of the screen (see pic) and it seems to focus VERY FAST with the pre-flash, the time is greatly reduced. And it seems (at least to me) to take more clear and crisp pictures without the flash then before. Videos still work about the same, nothing new there that I have seen.

BBM: Not sure if this is new, but I just noticed it. When you are in the list of chats it now shows you that a person is typing here, not just if you are with in the current conversation (see pic)

SPEED: Opening apps seems faster (my wife has her torch still running .246 so that is all I had to compare to). Sliding from screen to screen feels the same to me, nothing special. But when inside apps the phone feels more responsive. The tap and hold on the screen is much faster, I am sure I can go in and change the time but it is defaulted to lower. I do like this for most things, but when I am trying to select multiple emails to delete I tend not to have time to tap the bottom of the screen. BUT I do like the fact that almost as soon as I tap the bottom selection with my second finger the options pop up, it will take some getting use to and I am still torn whether to change it or not.

COPY/PASTE: I did notice a FLAW here, I was trying to copy a phone number from just viewing a contact to a SMS message and after I would click copy and go to the SMS message there is NO paste option. It wasn't just a lack of it not going to paste first (which I thought at first) it just wasn't copying it. But if I would go into and edit the contact and then copy it to the SMS I was able to do this. This is a HUGE issue for me and might be one more reason I go back to .377 because I copy numbers form contacts fairly often.

CORNER OF SCREEN: All 4 corners of the screen are now rounded (see pic) I have one that shows the bottom and I know there are other pics in other posts that show the tops. Not sure why they have done this, doesn't really effect the experience either way I believe.

SMS ERROR: As far as I can tell the the SMS error, where it would take you to the middle of longer SMS messages, is now gone. HUGE plus for me.

SELECTING TEXT:
    Selecting text is odd, it put in a second step where you have to choose "start selection" after you click "select text", pretty annoying the first few times
    Well that is it! Please leave your findings as well and correct anything I may have wrong.
    Last edited by rjkolo; 02-04-11 at 05:25 PM.
    02-04-11 06:19 AM
    Looks good. The only thing I noticed is the bbm notification, which has been there as long as I can remember.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-04-11 06:56 AM
    all of those things were reported in 448.
    02-04-11 07:51 AM
    My battery life has been significantly improved. With normal use of my phone, I have over half of my battery left when I go to sleep. It used to last just a full day and by the time for bed, it would need to be put on charge over night. I haven't tried but prolly could go 2 full days without charging! No sms bug, seems overall smoother, and OS seems to be using less RAM then before. I was having issues with the universal search and also a problem when I'd type in a search while viewing the options menu. It would freeze up but it has seemed to correct itself and haven't had anymore issues after a few days

02-04-11 07:54 AM
    Seeing as they pretty much came out together, a lot of people skipped 448. Guys just trying to he helpful.

Thanks RJKolo

rjkolo likes this.
    02-04-11 07:54 AM
    I believe it was .337 too, not .377. Nice write-up though!
    02-04-11 08:05 AM
    Haha, good call. Its early

02-04-11 08:08 AM
    Biggest points for my move to .450 are much improved battery life, and faster bootup after doing a couple of battery pulls compared to .337.

02-04-11 08:23 AM
    Selecting text is odd, it put in a second step where you have to choose "start selection" after you click "select text", pretty annoying the first few times
    02-04-11 09:07 AM
    anyone else have a problem after they switched to 450 where the text message notification sound can't be changed? even though it appears you've changed it, when you get a text its some other notification sound, not the one you selected?
    muse480 likes this.
    02-04-11 10:51 AM
    yeah....def not a fan of this. One of the coolest BB features was to throw the cursor anywhere on the screen, hold shift and start selecting. Now, you have to hit menu and put it in select mode. I feel that's a real step backwards.

Barring that, 450 has been good.
    02-04-11 11:28 AM
    I believe it was .337 too, not .377. Nice write-up though!
    You are correct about the .337, don't know where I got .377 from, thanks for that.

My battery life has been significantly improved. With normal use of my phone, I have over half of my battery left when I go to sleep. It used to last just a full day and by the time for bed, it would need to be put on charge over night. I haven't tried but prolly could go 2 full days without charging! No sms bug, seems overall smoother, and OS seems to be using less RAM then before. I was having issues with the universal search and also a problem when I'd type in a search while viewing the options menu. It would freeze up but it has seemed to correct itself and haven't had anymore issues after a few days

Batter life as a whole I have noticed to be somewhat the same, it will take about a week for me to believe one way or the other, but the strange thing I didn't like was the fact that it died so fast from 20%-0. Could have been a number of things contributing to this I will keep you posted when it dies again tomorrow evening or this Sunday.

anyone else have a problem after they switched to 450 where the text message notification sound can't be changed? even though it appears you've changed it, when you get a text its some other notification sound, not the one you selected?
    I will test this and get back to you.

yeah....def not a fan of this. One of the coolest BB features was to throw the cursor anywhere on the screen, hold shift and start selecting. Now, you have to hit menu and put it in select mode. I feel that's a real step backwards.

Barring that, 450 has been good.
    I always use hold cap on the physical keyboard and scroll. But I actually LOVE this feature because I use to start selecting text all the time when I didn't want to. Maybe it should become an option for it to be turned on or off, couldn't be that hard to do.

If you guys want to see any more screen shots or want me to test anything else let me know and I am happy to do so.
    Last edited by rjkolo; 02-04-11 at 05:22 PM.
    02-04-11 05:08 PM
    thanks for this review. will pass it on to my fellow 9800 friends
    02-04-11 05:14 PM
    Is it worth the upgrade from .337 to .450?
    02-04-11 10:19 PM
    Yes, but use .450 as a base for BDHP 6.1 hybrid OS. Instructions for the OS can be found in the Hybrid OS forum.

Personally I switched from .337 to BDHP 6.1 over .450 base and am not looking back. Everything is much more responsive and quicker, and now my camera actually works properly. The only negative for me is that I've noticed a decrease in battery life on .450 from .337, however some people are reporting this and others aren't. If it persists I'll just go to BDHP 6.1 over a .448 base and call it a day.

Really though, hybrids are nothing to be feared and so far the good builds are nothing but an improvement over the leaked OS, with my experiences so far. Definitely recommended.

02-05-11 05:55 AM
    ^ I second that.
    I actually find updating with BDHP (any of them) to be easier (more streamlined) than the 'old' way.
    Mine has been updated since Tuesday. I use it a lot. The battery seems to last the same as it did when I had .337. Battery variances are usually dependent on apps and user app management on the device.
    02-05-11 08:23 AM
    Is it worth the upgrade from .337 to .450?
    So far I say yes, but it isn't a huge change. It wasn't like going from the out of the box OS to .246 or .337. There some minor changes and it fixed a few minor bugs (some were very annoying) that were there but nothing major. If you upgrade you will like it, but if you don't want to take the time and would just rather wait for the next one I don't think you will be missing out on too many things.

Yes, but use .450 as a base for BDHP 6.1 hybrid OS. Instructions for the OS can be found in the Hybrid OS forum.

Personally I switched from .337 to BDHP 6.1 over .450 base and am not looking back. Everything is much more responsive and quicker, and now my camera actually works properly. The only negative for me is that I've noticed a decrease in battery life on .450 from .337, however some people are reporting this and others aren't. If it persists I'll just go to BDHP 6.1 over a .448 base and call it a day.

Really though, hybrids are nothing to be feared and so far the good builds are nothing but an improvement over the leaked OS, with my experiences so far. Definitely recommended.

Yes the battery life doesn't seem to be QUITE as good, but it is really close. I would get about 48 hours out of a charge and first time through I got about 36-38...this time it is looking like it will be closer to 40...As far as the hybrid OS goes I would love to put one on my phone, I might just give this one a try.
    Last edited by rjkolo; 02-05-11 at 01:02 PM.
    02-05-11 12:58 PM
    Could someone please send me the link so that I can perform the update on my phone? Thank you. Also, I have a Torch, would it operate on a hybrid OS?
    02-05-11 03:19 PM
    this OS is better, but I HATE the double duty keyboard. is there a way to keep the upgrade but get the regular keyboard back. i can't seem to type very well with the double keys. they should give us a choice.
    02-05-11 05:25 PM
    yes, I hate the new sound. it is not loud enough. and it defaults back to it , even though you click the one you want. I hat it when they make changes they THINK you will like?!!
    02-05-11 05:29 PM
    this OS is better, but I HATE the double duty keyboard. is there a way to keep the upgrade but get the regular keyboard back. i can't seem to type very well with the double keys. they should give us a choice.
    Do you mean the reduced portrait keyboard? The upgrade reset my preference on that too. Go to Options>Typing and Input>Keyboard, then change Portrait Keyboard Type to Full.

I love the sensitivity and precision of the touch screen in the browser. I can hit tiny links now that I had tp zoom to hit before. Not too sure about the new Favorites layout, though ... The short tiles leave most of the page name out and I'm finding it more difficult to use. Anybody know if you can change it back to a list view? I can't find a setting for that anywhere.

Last edited by 18to12fitty; 02-05-11 at 05:43 PM.
    tcseacliff likes this.
    02-05-11 05:38 PM
    thank you!! that was the problem! the reduced keyboard was there right after my phone rebooted from the upgrade. and you are right the, screen is way more responsive to clicking on links without having to zoom. goolge maps is also faster. win win so far. i feel so dumb about the keyboard,though.!
    02-05-11 08:08 PM
    Where can I find the link to upgrade my .337 to .450? My battery life has changed big time since I switched to .337 and from what i gather, most of you are getting a bit longer life. Any help would be much appreciated.

Carmen
    02-05-11 09:11 PM
    Where can I find the link to upgrade my .337 to .450? My battery life has changed big time since I switched to .337 and from what i gather, most of you are getting a bit longer life. Any help would be much appreciated.

Carmen
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/leaked-os-6-0-0-450-blackberry-torch-9800-fixes-findings-580264/

My battery life is about the same as it was with .337, which was never that bad. The browser seems to drain a little more than iit used to, though. Or maybe I'm just browsing more now because it's more fun than before. :O

02-05-11 09:21 PM
    Actually, i keep turning it off and once I change profiles it comes back. I almost always have my phone on normal w/email notifications turned off, but there is something that has changed, so i am going through notifications to try and see what's changed.

02-05-11 11:43 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD