I posted earlier about how .246 screwed up my predictive/direct typing options. Rolling back to .225 solved the issue. While in .246, I noticed no positive changes, but did notice quicker battery drain. Browser speed seemed the same. Is there any reason to move from .225 to .246? Seems to me that .225 is the best OS yet. Agree?
    09-30-10 05:17 AM
    Yeah, I regret moving to .246 because of the increased battery drain. (At least for me and some others as well; there are some who claim their battery life is fine on .246, but I don't believe them ). If I get sufficiently motivated and no new leak is forthcoming soon, I may well downgrade. Although I haven't done a downgrade since moving from an early version of 5.0 back to 4.6 for my 9000 a year or so ago.
    09-30-10 07:35 AM
    My battery seems to be the same on .246 as on .225. I still get 2 days of battery per charge and still have about 30% at night when I plug it in and I'm constantly on the phone. But you're right, there's not really a big difference on performance. However, apparently .246 is the preloaded on the new Bell and Rogers phone so I'm guessing it must be the official one already. anything is better than .141, I was ready to return my phone the same day I got it because of that POS, but now, it's alllllll goood
    09-30-10 07:46 AM
    Two days and you have 30% left?!?!? The only way I could get anything approaching that is if I never used the device, turned off the Twitter and FB checks, and deleted all 3d party apps.
    09-30-10 08:36 AM
    Mine seems to be fine with .246. Not really noticing any more drain.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-30-10 09:09 AM
    Battery life seems the same to me - so does everything else. I don't really care if I'm on 225 or 246 to be honest - I see no reason really to downgrade or upgrade if you're on one or the other.

FWIW I have Social Feeds uninstalled from the phone since .161. Until they add some more customization to the RSS reader options I'm just not interested...I need to be able to delete feeds or preferably be able to tell it to only keep 2 days worth or something.
    09-30-10 09:17 AM
    Two days and you have 30% left?!?!? The only way I could get anything approaching that is if I never used the device, turned off the Twitter and FB checks, and deleted all 3d party apps.
    JasW, I posted something similar in the hybrids forum.

FWIW, I don't have any batt life issues. I was routinely at ~40-50% after 12 hour days with moderate use. (Screen set at 30% and I usually turn off WiFi and Bluetooth when I remember). A few days ago I got a clip holster with sleep magnet. Yesterday I didn't use the holster much (maybe two hours) and forgot to charge or holster the phone overnight. I was pleasantly surprised to see the phone still at 50% this morning with WiFi on all night. Haven't put it through a tough test yet, but I'm betting if I use the holster I could easily go two days between charges. Not sure why our experience is so different.

edit: I'm also running .246
    09-30-10 09:21 AM
    My battery seems to be the same on .246 as on .225. I still get 2 days of battery per charge and still have about 30% at night when I plug it in and I'm constantly on the phone. But you're right, there's not really a big difference on performance. However, apparently .246 is the preloaded on the new Bell and Rogers phone so I'm guessing it must be the official one already. anything is better than .141, I was ready to return my phone the same day I got it because of that POS, but now, it's alllllll goood
    Thats insane.......I barely get 8 hrs. I'm on the phone constantly, as well.
    I also have a few apps that use GPS location but they're all closed until I use them.
    BerryWeather updates every 2 hrs but that's it.
    I'm desperately trying to figure out how to get 18hrs. (a full day)
    Currently running .246
    09-30-10 09:54 AM
    I don't need the weather updates every 2hrs for sure, so I have it set up manully. I don't use social feeds, i deleted it. I'm on the phone constantly as well on BBM or google talk, probably 50 emails a day in and out, don't listen to music. Turn the Wifi only at home (12hrs) and the bluetooth only in the car. Honestly I don't see any issues with the battery ever. So far I love the phone. Oh and my screen dim is at 10% and that's plenty for me, I can see perfect.
    09-30-10 10:10 AM
    I think there could be an issue when installing platforms. When I upgraded to .225 from .214 there was absolutely no way I could make it 8 hours without finding a charger (which was not the case prior to .225). However, many people raved that .225 saved battery life. Then, when I upgraded to .246 my battery came back. For anyone who downgraded back to .225, you may want to try completely uninstalling any OS on your computer, then reinstalling .246 and try re-installing on your phone. You may even want to find a completely different computer to be sure no old traces find their way to your phone and see if you get a better re-upgrade.

My usage. I use the BEIKS Locker in my signature, and in doing so, I constantly hold the BB button which brings up my active program, one of which is a lock icon which I use to activate the lock. In doing so, I constantly see what apps are running and make sure to shut them down. I have pretty decent phone usage since it's a work phone. I use my MP3 player for maybe an average of an hour or so every day. I use Navigator often. I forward large emails (forwarding Visual Voice Mail). I send/receive many, MANY emails/text throughout the day. I check my FB 2.... many times during the day as well. Yet, I typically have 50-70% life still available when I go to charge it at night.

I have 6 programs that run constantly: Home, BBM, Web, Mail, Phone, Lock

If I see anything else running, I shut it down.

Other than BBM, I also uninstalled all IM programs. Some of them would run constantly even though I did not use them.
    09-30-10 10:28 AM
    I don't need the weather updates every 2hrs for sure, so I have it set up manully. I don't use social feeds, i deleted it. I'm on the phone constantly as well on BBM or google talk, probably 50 emails a day in and out, don't listen to music. Turn the Wifi only at home (12hrs) and the bluetooth only in the car. Honestly I don't see any issues with the battery ever. So far I love the phone. Oh and my screen dim is at 10% and that's plenty for me, I can see perfect.
    I have BerryWeather updating every hour, deleted social feeds, use BBM and email constantly and on the phone and internet occassionally, screen at 10%, WiFi only at home, no GPS location apps, but I think the key for me having great battery life (I could easily go 2 days before charging) is I keep it on 2G only. HUGE battery saver.
    09-30-10 11:26 AM
    Oh yeah, I forgot; I have BeWeather updating every 15 minutes, screen brightness is @ 10%, I leave WiFi/BT/Network/3G on auto at all times. I've never turned BT or WiFi on/off. I figure, if I have to manually turn that stuff on/off, then this phone is not for me. However, Is till have great battery life.
    09-30-10 11:42 AM
    I have all the OS leaks saved on my comp, only install the one I want.
    I also deleted all social feeds and IM programs.
    I have my screen brightness set at 10% as well.
    All GPS enabled programs closed until needed. Wifi off until I know I'm in a hot spot (home, Starbux, etc...)
    I live at 6k ft above sea level and my radio sig is constantly searching, although I know other crackheads that get stellar batt life.
    I may try
    >Deleting OS .246 on comp
    >Clear recycle bin.
    >Restart comp, reinstall .246 on comp
    >Do a back up (always)
    >Use BBSAK to back up 3rd party apps, wipe system, reinstall .246 on Torch, reinstall apps, restore back up.
    If that doesn't help my batt, nothing will.
    Could be aliens!!!
    09-30-10 11:47 AM
    I dunno, the only thing that changed for me between .225 and .246 is I bought Vlingo (actually a couple of days before .246 came out). I've not heard anyone saying it's a battery drainer.

I have the screen at 70%, BT and wifi always on, Berry Weather doing a GPS weather check every hour, FB and Twitter pulling feeds every hour. All of which I had going with .225.

I charged back up to 100% almost three hours ago and now I'm down to 75%. The only remotely unusual thing I did in that time was take a few pics and transfer two of them to the PC over BT.

Happily, I have chargers everywhere.
    09-30-10 12:15 PM
    had to get my device replaced so currently i have two torch's, one new, one i had tweaked, i will upgrade the new stock one and let ya'll know, as with most issues, wipe and reinstall usually corrects the issues
    09-30-10 12:16 PM
    After doing a clean wipe and reinstalling the latest os my battery life is pretty good about 16 hrs of use before having to charge.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-30-10 02:34 PM
    I'm on .225 and haven't seen a reason to move to .246, so I'm staying put for now. My battery life is good. I have gone for 2 days without charging with no problems.

If your signal is always searching, that alone can be a huge battery drain on any phone. Or, as said, aliens.
    09-30-10 02:41 PM
    I'm not one for installing leak stuff ..... but my Torch is very happy with .246 !

No issues AT ALL !

Super fast , no battery problems ........ I leave WIFI on all the time .... berry weather updates every 15 ......

not sure why either ..... ???? But , I DON'T CARE !

not sure if this is helpful but I do the LG/LG thing once a week and I yank the battery maybe once a week . I also close all the programs that dont need to run .
    Last edited by sbk12rs; 09-30-10 at 04:07 PM.
    09-30-10 03:59 PM
    found no difference between 225 and 246
    09-30-10 04:14 PM
    found no difference between .225 and.246
    09-30-10 04:16 PM
    Rogers come with .246 but I don't notice anything bad yet.
    09-30-10 04:17 PM
    I just rolled back to .225. Everything is perfect again!
    09-30-10 09:15 PM
    .246 seems a little quirky compared to .214... Never went to .225

Menus sometimes act a little strange, but nothing major.

That said, I do seem to drop slightly fewer calls however and call quality seemed to improve a bit as well.
    10-01-10 02:01 AM
    I just rolled back to .225. Everything is perfect again!
    I just went back to .225 this a.m. as well. Presumably, my battery life will be back where it was before, but I'll have to give it a couple of days at least to be sure. If not, I don't see any point in upgrading again to .246. CX said there was an improvement in media player volume in .246, but I didn't really notice it, and there's nothing else different that I could see or have heard about.

I really would like RIM to work on improving the speaker volume because it truly is atrocious. I can barely hear Garmin or Vlingo in the car. My car has BT but it's only for the phone.
    10-01-10 09:07 AM
    I just went back to .225 this a.m. as well. Presumably, my battery life will be back where it was before, but I'll have to give it a couple of days at least to be sure. If not, I don't see any point in upgrading again to .246. CX said there was an improvement in media player volume in .246, but I didn't really notice it, and there's nothing else different that I could see or have heard about.

I really would like RIM to work on improving the speaker volume because it truly is atrocious. I can barely hear Garmin or Vlingo in the car. My car has BT but it's only for the phone.
    Do you still have the rotation bug with .225 when browsing? Also, do you notice any difference in volume between .225 and .241? Somewhere along the line volume did increase, but with the short time between leaks I don't remember which version the volume improvement occured.
    10-01-10 09:33 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD