Hey,

When I had 246 on my device, Japanese input (and another issue related to searching the device for Japanese things) worked pretty good. On 337, it also works pretty good. Here is my issue/question:

On 246, when entering Japanese, you could hit space and it would show you a series of character choices in a 2-line horizonal bar where you could see like 10-15 possibilites for what you're typing. THIS IS GREAT!

On 337, when entering Japanese, you can hit space and it will show you a series of character choices in a 3 line pop-out menu. Problem here is that you only see 3 possibilities instead of the 10-15. You can scroll through, but there is some kind of a lag when selecting (it's not smooth) so it can be a pain to not only accuractely use the track-pad but also to anticipate the lag.

The last issue, is that when using the Universal Search from the main wallpaper, I used to be able to type my wife's name in Hiragana and it would retrieve her name in Kanji.

This issue is possibly two part:

Part 1 - *****************************

Kanji is saved in the contact but the pronunciation is also saved. When I saved the contact, I entered Hiragana, and I then hit space to change to Kanji. I think the contact app automatically takes the Hiragana entered and converts that to Katakana to save in the pronunciation field while allowing me to actually save the name in Kanji.

Part 2

I am trying to save contacts in categories. The 100 or so local contacts are in the Personal category and the 100 or so Japanese contacts are in a category called Japan Contacts.

Now going contact by contact and editing the category and then pressing back, being prompted to save my choice, then hitting back again and being prompted again to save the Contact is a real pain in the *$&. I figured, I will be better off to find some way to edit my address book from a computer and then just sync the two.

Problem with this idea, is that I am on Windows 7 and I don't have a mail client installed. Then there are tons of choices: Outlook, Opera, Thunderbird, Windows Live etc... I also have a Macbook. I sync'd the BB to the macbook and when I checked the AddressBook in the macbook, the contacts are there but no categories.

Greeeat. Why couldn't they just include an address book editor in the desktop manager with options to export to popular formats?!

I also think that the Sync with the macbook, may have unlinked all the Hiragana/Kanji/Katakana relationships in *Part 1* and thereby breaking the Universal Search. Now I must scroll through all the Kanji selections on the lame 3-line suggestion box and deal with the laggy interface as the BlackBerry doesn't remember frequent selections to make text entry quicker.

At least the 246 software allowed you to see more choices at one time.

Edit:

I tried re-saving a contact by re-entering the Kanji. No dice, I still have to deal with the 3-line suggestion box that has my wife's name at the very bottom of the entry.

Correction:

The 3-line suggestion is actually 4-lines. Still, in 246, you could see 10-15 choices which meant the right choice was a screen-touch away, while with 4-lines, the box is so small, it's simpler to use the track pad but then it just takes too much time/makes touch-screen meaningless.
    Last edited by Kevbodian; 11-10-10 at 05:30 PM.
    11-10-10 05:19 PM
    I can't contribute anything to your post I'm afraid... except to say that the new kanji selection method is a real pain. I liked it better the old way too. Anyone know any tricks to get it back to the old method?
    11-10-10 06:06 PM
    I think going back to 246 might just be the simplest solution to the Japanese Input issue(s).

As for category sync... not sure... Perhaps install some kind of Gmail app so if I need to access those contacts, I could look them up through that app. I am new to BB but seeing as how BB's were designed for business; you'd think the contact sync issue would be something they would have solved YEARS ago.

Although, technically, all I have to do is set up the contacts I have in their proper categories and just remember to select a category each time I add a new contact.

Once that's done, it should be alright.
    Last edited by Kevbodian; 11-10-10 at 07:29 PM.
    11-10-10 07:13 PM
    I can't contribute anything to your post I'm afraid... except to say that the new kanji selection method is a real pain. I liked it better the old way too. Anyone know any tricks to get it back to the old method?
    I'm going to tinker around and see if I can get the old way into 337.
    11-10-10 07:30 PM
    Oh good. Japanese input is available now? I didn't see the files in any of the OS's I installed. I'll try porting an older cod from 246.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-10-10 08:34 PM
    Oh good. Japanese input is available now? I didn't see the files in any of the OS's I installed. I'll try porting an older cod from 246.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    It's on the official Rogers Asia 246 release and on the leaked 337 asia version.
    11-10-10 09:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD